Getting aircon

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Re: Getting aircon

Post by Anthro »

-Prometheus- wrote:Stay away from Daewoo. Their spare parts are not stocked locally and it may be a hassle to get them imported.
Ja, they make Microwaves, and cars :P :lol:
Temporary Absence
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

........................................................................................................................................................................................................
........................................................................................................................................................................................................
Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 02:12, edited 1 time in total.
BBLounge - Broadband and Technology forum
Please like our facebook page
senile

Post by senile »

Don't buy a heat pump, get an inverter. They use less electricity and are much quieter.
Last edited by senile on 01 Feb 2011, 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
Prime

Post by Prime »

You could phone Harrac in the cbd (think they are on ellof extension, before Stuarts and lloyds - SA Lister.) and see what they say. They do automotive split units but might do domestic and commercial or have a recommendation. :)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So I just had a guy from Right Air come out to see the office and he gave me his card. His name is Ryan Cooper.

What are the odds? :lol:

Edit: Actually, come to think of it, Ryan Cooper is probably a pretty common name. :?
Prime

Post by Prime »

Does he sell Coopers air cleaners? :lol:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Prime wrote:Does he sell Coopers air cleaners? :lol:
Lulz, no, he only does LG and Samsung.

A second dude was here. He also does LG and Samsung, but does the whole range besides. He said he'd quote me on LG and Samsung and then (in a VERY thick Afrikaans accent) told me he'd also quote me on a cheaper brand. The name turned out to be "Kelon" (I gathered that from his business card) but every time he said the name (and repeated it at my request) it sounded like he was saying "Klingon."

:lol:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So . . .

LG 9000BTU unit: R5,529.00 supplied and fitted.
Kelon 9000BTU unit: R5,415.00 R5,209.80 supplied and fitted.
Samsung 9000BTU unit: R5,469.72 supplied and fitted.
AUX 12000BTU unit: R3,600.00 supplied and fitted.

IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Stuart wrote:So . . .

LG 9000BTU unit: R5,529.00 supplied and fitted.
Kelon 9000BTU unit: R5,415.00 R5,209.80 supplied and fitted.
Samsung 9000BTU unit: R5,469.72 supplied and fitted.
AUX 12000BTU unit: R3,600.00 supplied and fitted.

There you will see why I hate Aux. Bigger aircon for less than the name brands. Tells you something. haha!
I would go LG. 8)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

The guy who quoted me on the LG works with a wide range of products. (He also says they do not supply AUX because of spares issues. They had to sell a customer a complete new unit because he lost his remote and they couldn't get a spare.) He reckons that Samsung are arguably quieter, but that he sells mostly LG because LG spares are cheapest and most readily available.
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Stuart wrote:The guy who quoted me on the LG works with a wide range of products. (He also says they do not supply AUX because of spares issues. They had to sell a customer a complete new unit because he lost his remote and they couldn't get a spare.) He reckons that Samsung are arguably quieter, but that he sells mostly LG because LG spares are cheapest and most readily available.
:thumbleft:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

So I finally settled on a Samsung unit from Right Air. All seemed to be going so smoothly. I called to confirm the order yesterday, and they arrived today to install it.

However . . .

When I spoke to the salesman last week (Mr Ryan Cooper) I told him where I wanted the unit. He explained that it MIGHT be a problem because of the length of piping. It might require more than standard length to fit it where I wanted it, which would cost extra. If they could move it on the same wall, just off centre, it would work fine. Great, no problem.

Installers came today. (I should add that I'm having bookshelves put in my office at the same time, ceiling to floor against two walls.) I again told the guy I would love it centre, but he gave me the same story, so I agreed slightly off centre was fine. I explicitly told him that I wanted it against a certain wall, and told him quite clearly which walls he could NOT use because of the shelving that was arriving today. I then went to fetch the redhead from school and took her home.

While I was eating, I received a phone call from the guy installed the shelving. The aircon is in the way of where we are putting the shelves. Huh? So I jump in my car and drive back up to the office, only to find that they put the aircon EXACTLY on one of the walls I explicitly told they they COULD NOT use.

*sigh*

Long story short: They had to cut the top shelf off my newly constructed bookshelves to fit it where the aircon had been incorrectly placed.

N00bs.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

And you're just going to take it lying down?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

He could've dialled the number I gave him, but nooooooooooooo... :P
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

-Prometheus- wrote:
doo_much wrote:And you're just going to take it lying down?
He already cut the shelf so I don't see what he can do
Ahh, but maybe he can be a bit more creative than you? ;)
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
-Prometheus-
Resident Drama Llama

Post by -Prometheus- »

Last edited by -Prometheus- on 04 Apr 2011, 02:34, edited 1 time in total.
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

ummmm
you leave to let contractors work unsupervised?
never do that
ever
senile

Post by senile »

You should have insisted they remove it and install correctly at their own cost. Standard procedure.
Sojourn wrote:ummmm
never do that
ever
+1
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

doo_much wrote:And you're just going to take it lying down?
Pretty much. The job was already completed, so it would've been more mess than it was worth to remove the thing and put it on another wall again. It's functional where it is. It's just not where I wanted it.
SykomantiS wrote:He could've dialled the number I gave him, but nooooooooooooo... :P
The Powers that Be wanted a local (Joburg) company to do it. I complied.
Sojourn wrote:ummmm
never do that
ever
Unfortunately I had the car at work (my wife and I share a car) and there was a certain redhead who needed to be collected from school at midday and taken home. The installers arrived five minutes before noon.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Yea, well, local being lekker and all, They do equal amounts of work in Jhb and Pta.
But hey. What's done is done :)