VW makes a concept car I want.

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
JollyJamma

VW makes a concept car I want.

Post by JollyJamma »

Volkswagen debuts 313mpg XL1 concept
Hybrid unveiled at Qatar motor show laughs in the face of today’s emissions targets. Meet the future…

Posted by: Vijay Pattni, 26 January 2011 Back to Car News
Volkswagen has just unveiled its XL1 to the world, and no, it's not a Burger King special.

This, people of Earth, is the Super Efficient Vehicle; the third iteration of Volkswagen's continuing mission to mock today's emissions regulations by creating a concept which returns 313mpg.

The XL1 also emits 24g/km of CO2, setting unbelievable benchmarks for saving our green 'n' blue hemisphere. VW says its combined range is around 340 miles on a 10-litre tank.

See more pics of the VW XL1 concept

It's powered by a two-cylinder 800cc TDI diesel producing 47bhp, and is linked to a 26bhp electric motor, equalling a total of 73bhp. The power is sent to the rear wheels via a seven-speed DSG gearbox with an automatic clutch fitted between each unit. This means the electric motor can work independently of the diesel or with it when accelerating.

As expected, the XL1 is constructed using space-age materials not yet discovered on this Earth, but probably capable of withstanding nuclear fallout. Or a trip to Burger King. VW says it developed and patented a new system manufacturing carbon fibre reinforced polymer, and as such, the XL1 weighs just 795kg.

The wheels are made of magnesium, the brake discs are ceramic and the boingy stuff is made of aluminium. That slim-fast figure equals a 0-62mph time of 11.9 seconds - not bad for 73bhp - while top speed is limited to 99mph.

It's about as high as a Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder and as long and wide as a VW Polo. And if it results in a motoring universe where Mother Nature doesn't unleash the four horsemen of the apocalypse to destroy humanity, we're all in.
Like?
yes I do like. I don't care much for speed at the moment. I have a slow car anyway and it's not good at fuel consumption.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Re: VW makes a concept car I want.

Post by Hman »

It looks like a silver turd.

Make it look a bit better, beef the diesel engine up to a 4cyl 1600 with two of them being capable of being shut down when not needed and it would be cool.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Looks like a concept for a future car from an 80's movie. This is not a good thing.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I'd rather have a Honda CR-Z for now, untill they improve performance and looks. And the badge.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Johnny Fairplay

Post by Johnny Fairplay »

Let's nominate this in the fail thread :D

Horrible looking car... and so low in the rear. How will one cross a speed bump..

Rather give me a Land Rover Defender with a hybrid engine please :D
Prime

Post by Prime »

May something fall out the sky onto all your heads and prevent you all from polluting the gene pool. :|

I'd drive it, regardless of looks.

The World needs another Mini though. :(
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

I like the looks, but would probably loose a tire before I get it home. The SA roads and potholes wont go well with a low chassis and low profile tires.
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

is it just me... or can i not see how one would change the rear wheels if needed?
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

I believe that the wheel is covered by a removable aerodynamic panel.

Ok let's be honest here guys you can't get a Chev Lumina anymore. Not in Jozi and not in the ultra packed first world cities like London and New York. There is a point to this car and yes it hasn't got 1 meter of clearance so you can park on the curb but nor does it use 14 liters to the 100Ks and it's going to be well designed and safe. It's also going to be free of the congestion charge in the UK and easy to park. It makes more sense there than here but it's still a good idea for those who want to travel in Jozi and don't commute far or to rough parts of the country.

It's better looking than the Prius and a better use of current tech in my view.
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

I am not saying anything about the tech. I just think the design VERY dated. "Why can't they make eco cars look good?" is all I'm asking.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken