Car Cutting Out [Solved] Annoying Light [Solved]

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Koko_Lion

Car Cutting Out [Solved] Annoying Light [Solved]

Post by Koko_Lion »

Was just hoping that maybe someone here has experienced this.

One of the vehicles I drive is a '97 Opel Corsa 1.3i, with about 90 000Km on the clock. About 2 years ago that orange engine management light would randomly flash on and off. So I took it in to the nearest Opel dealer. They did their tests and whatever and said all is fine. So for 2 years I have just ignored it.

About a week ago the car now just randomly cuts out whenever your slowing down for something. I took it back to another mechanic who has one of those car diagnostic computer things and no errors were found.

I'm wondering if that orange light and the car now cutting out aren't somehow related. I'm scared if I don't fix whatever it is now, something expensive will need replacing later. But nobody I've dealt with can give me an answer.

Thanks

EDIT: Spelling correction fixed as requested
Last edited by Koko_Lion on 21 Jan 2011, 00:48, edited 2 times in total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: Car Cutting Out

Post by Stuart »

don't really know what the problem is, but i would NOT have just lived with a flashing red light for two years! :shock:

opel ftl
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

Koko_Lion, i had a corsa that did a similar thing.... turned out to be the airflow meter on the intake manifold.... (was dirty)

cost about R600 to fix

*edit* as for the orange light, that a normal opel occurrence... my kadett does the same thing every now and again... its only supposed to be a worry if it stays on permanently,
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Interesting, cause I did have a Simota Cone Filter in that car for some time and I did travel a lot of dirt roads.
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

then it may well be your problem... cone filters are not very good at filtering... LOL
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Firestrm wrote:*edit* as for the orange light, that a normal opel occurrence... my kadett does the same thing every now and again... its only supposed to be a worry if it stays on permanently,
if all else fails, remove the globe.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Stuart wrote:
Firestrm wrote:*edit* as for the orange light, that a normal opel occurrence... my kadett does the same thing every now and again... its only supposed to be a worry if it stays on permanently,
if all else fails, remove the globe.

You moonlight as my mechanic don't you? Had that done to me once.... :evil:

Koko_Lion,
I had the same problem with my old Mazda, turned out to be the HT leads. Looked like Guy Fawkes in there if you opened the bonnet at night! :lol:
Whatever it is will probably cause big damage in the long term.
Best bet is to take it back into the shop - if you have a reputable one around.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

Find the filter.Remove it.Clean it.Put it back.

Then go from there.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Scavenger

Post by Scavenger »

Have you tried turning it off and on again?
ASUS P5K Delux Wifi || Intel Core 2 Duo 3ghz e6850 || 4gb Mushkin XP 1066mhz DDR2 CL4 || 2x Sapphire ATI HD3870 512mb Crossfire || OCZ StealthXstream 600w || 500gb WD || 2x120gb WD Raid 0 || Thermaltake Xaser III Lanfire || Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers || Samsung Syncmaster 226BW 22" LCD "S" Panel ||
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

close all the windows and hit clutch+alternator+start engine
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

They did there tests and whatever
there = There is alot of baboons on this forum.
their = Their cars are not working thus they will be walking.

Apologies, just trying to fix a pet hate of mine.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

1. Check and clean the airflow meter as mentioned.

2. Check your spark plug cables, do this by taking one spark plug cable, inserting a long screwdriver into it and hold it about 1mm away from the engine (any metal part). If you see a spark between the screwdriver, the cable is fine. Repeat on all cables. If one doesn't spark, replace the set.

3. Check for any wires that might under deceleration move forward and short out somewhere.

4. When you slow down and the car cuts out, is the clutch engaged or not? Is your valve timing correct? Theoretically if your valve timing is a bit ahead and you slow down with the clutch engaged the engine might suffer a "backfire" into the intake manifold causing the engine to cut out.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

Hman, :shock: welkom terug mnr.....

solid advice there..... koko good luck man
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Blanks... I mean thanks :mrgreen:
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Scavenger

Post by Scavenger »

Sojourn wrote: there = There are a lot of baboons on this forum.
There we go :) I assume that was on purpose though?
ASUS P5K Delux Wifi || Intel Core 2 Duo 3ghz e6850 || 4gb Mushkin XP 1066mhz DDR2 CL4 || 2x Sapphire ATI HD3870 512mb Crossfire || OCZ StealthXstream 600w || 500gb WD || 2x120gb WD Raid 0 || Thermaltake Xaser III Lanfire || Logitech Z-5500 Digital 5.1 Speakers || Samsung Syncmaster 226BW 22" LCD "S" Panel ||
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

A few things to check out with your problem which is common on the corsas so listen up:

First get yourself a can of electrical cleaner (Or carb cleaner) I prefer the cans of dedicated electrical connector cleaner, not sure what it's called so excuse my explanation. Anything in your engine bay that can be unplugged, unplug it and spray it, I mean, like it's a zombie cockroach. Don't be shy. Let it dry a bit and stick it back.
I do this every few months and it makes a difference, really. idles smoother and rides smoother.

1. Firestrm is right. Airflow meter. ESPECIALLY after putting on a cone filter, I battled for a couple days to get rid of the light after putting on my cone filter. You have to adjust and make sure the airflow meter fits perfectly. clean it out properly 'cos they get all greasy and dirty. Just unplug it and give it a good cleaning with petrol / alcohol or whatever. let it dry and put it back properly. If it's a custom hole in your pipe like I did, you may need to take some silicon to seal it properly. Clean your filter and make sure it's not leaking anywhere. If it is, get another filter and a new rubber reducer (which the filter should come with) Otherwise go to a local scrapyard and search the banged up corsas there for another one. I got one and the dude wasnt' sure what it was so he said I could have it.

2. ICV (Idle control valve) These things are small but PRICEY. Worst part is, because it's electrical and expensive, if you buy one and it's not the problem you won't get it exchanged. So rather find another corsa of a friend who's willing to exchange for a drive around the block. It comes off easily so don't worry. Luckily I could do this with someone I knew which did turn out to be one of my problems so I could safely go buy a new one knowing mine was stuffed.

3. MAF sensor (Mass Air Flow) This won't cause problems with the car starting up, just VERY uneven idling. I had mine rewired 'cos they become loose. Again, see if you can't get one from a scrapyard. Then get it on with the cleaner I mentioned above.

4. A common overlooked problem: Your keys immobiliser. Seriously, I had a faulty one and not one person could tell me this until a backyard dodgy guy just told me to go check it out and vwala. problem sorted out. This symptom is your car jus not switching on or it goes dead at a robot fairly often for no other reason.

Check google for diagrams or what things look like I have mentioned if you're not sure. But anyway, good luck and go sign up on http://www.opelownersforum.co.za/forum/ there's great help there and a nice community. :wink:
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

I think the problem is solved. I haven't been driving for very long, so can't say for sure. Light is gone, no more cut outs.

I had a very good look around in the engine, unplugging and cleaning every little sensor, plug etc. Then I noticed right behind the air intake manifold, I thin black pipe that goes to the engine block from the manifold was worn about 90% through. Taped it up to create a seal vacuum again and bingo! Problem solved (So far).

I have booked the car in to have a semi-service anyway and told them to inspect and replace any pipes, cables that look damaged.

Thanks guys,

Synthesis, I bookmarked that site, might definitely come in handy some day
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

The light came back after a week from the above post, just ignored it. Luck just fixed it recently.

Was the front loader. Removed it to give it a good clean out. Reconnected it and no more flashing light. Must have been a loose connection causing the light to go nuts.

Last thing I would have expected but its fixed at least.
garp

Re: Car Cutting Out [Solved] Annoying Light [Solved]

Post by garp »

You know when I first read this title, I thought you had annoying light in your car that you wanted to cut out :mrgreen: Noob Moment...
Cooler Master RC-690 CM 690
Intel Core i7 950 3.06 GHz
MSI R5870
2 x 1TB WD Black
Corsair DDR3-1600 6GB DOMINATOR
Intel SmackOver DX58SO MB
Corsair TX650W Power Supply - 650W
Samsung P2350 23"
Windows 7 ultimate 64bit
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Koko_Lion wrote:The light came back after a week from the above post, just ignored it. Luck just fixed it recently.

Was the front loader. Removed it to give it a good clean out. Reconnected it and no more flashing light. Must have been a loose connection causing the light to go nuts.

Last thing I would have expected but its fixed at least.
Yea modern cars have these problems....my 1999 C180 had a similar problem but that was caused by a dead Mass air flow sensor which came to 2k because it contains traces of gold and platinum (hey the car has 278 000 on the clock and this is the only real problem it has ever had)