A thread not for the easily offended

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: A thread not for the easily offended

Post by Tribble »

Ignorance :evil:
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

!##$%^%&%*^&* my black dog!
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Tribble wrote:Ignorance
....is the fertiliser of choice when it comes to religion... especially the more extreme flavours which treat their "holy" books as magical healing implements...

<looks pointedly at the xtian "scientists"...>
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Hee hee it is good
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Have any of you guys been clever enough to buy one of these Power Balance arm bands?

"•What is Power Balance?
Power Balance is Performance Technology designed to work with your body’s natural energy field. Founded by athletes, Power Balance is a favorite among elite athletes for whom balance, strength and flexibility are important.

•How Does the Hologram Work?
Power Balance is based on the idea of optimizing the body’s natural energy flow, similar to concepts behind many Eastern philosophies. The hologram in Power Balance is designed to resonate with and respond to the natural energy field of the body."

Apparently it is a rampant phenomenon, with a barrel full of world class athletes and celebs buying into the nonsense. A good friend of mine recently bought one for his wife for over R200. Maybe as a new career move I should invent a bogus "energy" product that could cure all sorts of perceived inadequacies? I could make millions!
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Do you know for a fact that it's nonsense?

One of my head trainers at Jiu Jitsu swears by the thing, and when I wore it to try it out it did seem to make a difference. Probably in a persons head though, but hey, I honestly don't know so can't comment...
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Well, there have been no scientific studies done at all. In fact, there is no scientific basis for it at all. It is yet another one of those pseudoscientific mumbo-jumbo things that use sciency terms like "energy", "resonance" and "hologram" to make it seem legit and to reel people in, like crystals and such. I mean, doesn't it sound like nonsense to you? "The hologram in Power Balance is designed to resonate with and respond to the natural energy field of the body." Seriously? These people should be put behind bars for fraud.

If it has an effect, it is the placebo effect, which can be quite potent sometimes.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
japie_my_skapie

Post by japie_my_skapie »

KALSTER wrote:Have any of you guys been clever enough to buy one of these Power Balance arm bands?

"•What is Power Balance?
Power Balance is Performance Technology designed to work with your body’s natural energy field. Founded by athletes, Power Balance is a favorite among elite athletes for whom balance, strength and flexibility are important.

•How Does the Hologram Work?
Power Balance is based on the idea of optimizing the body’s natural energy flow, similar to concepts behind many Eastern philosophies. The hologram in Power Balance is designed to resonate with and respond to the natural energy field of the body."

Apparently it is a rampant phenomenon, with a barrel full of world class athletes and celebs buying into the nonsense. A good friend of mine recently bought one for his wife for over R200. Maybe as a new career move I should invent a bogus "energy" product that could cure all sorts of perceived inadequacies? I could make millions!

But why would anyone find it offensive?
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

But why would anyone find it offensive?
People can find nearly anything offensive. You are basically telling them that they have been had and that it is their own fault for being gullible. It is not posted with the intent to offend though, only because the possibility exists.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I saw those Power Balance arm bands the other day at my barber's shop. She is selling them too. I didn't ask how much they were.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Most I've seen are between R100 and R200. Now THAT I find offensive... :o
japie_my_skapie

Post by japie_my_skapie »

So it's almost like that copper armbands that were a hit in the 90's, you know the ones that have been magnetically charged to influence your happiness
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

japie_my_skapie wrote:the ones that have been magnetically charged to turn your skin green
FTFY
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

japie_my_skapie wrote:So it's almost like that copper armbands that were a hit in the 90's, you know the ones that have been magnetically charged to influence your happiness
Exactly. It is not a new thing either. The most famous charlatan professing the healing power of magnetic fields was Franz Mesmer in the 18th century.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

One of the guys at work has one, and I played around with it a bit. Didn't do squat for me. But lets not be pessimistic here, I will borrow it for a day and see.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

ryanrich wrote:Do you know for a fact that it's nonsense?
Lets have a look, shall we?
...designed to work with your body’s natural energy field.
Last time I checked I wasn't wearing a deflector dish, so I call bs on that one.
based on the idea of optimizing the body’s natural energy flow
Hmmm. I guess suckers these days will buy anything as long as you define your product in the vaguest way possible.
similar to concepts behind many Eastern philosophies
Oh well then, that makes it all ok. Is this power band made of Rhino horn by any chance?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Prime

Post by Prime »

fallen_angel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by fallen_angel »

Regarding the Power Balance arm bands. If it's selling for R100 - R200 it's the generic FAKE and doesn't work. The real deal sells for close to R500 and I have one. Being a golf lover with a messed up back I reluctantly took one as the dealer told me it would assist my swing. Amazingly enough it did exactly what the dealer told me it would. A friend of mine bought the fake one and he is complaining that it doesn't work

Watashi no ikari wa anata no tamashī wa heiwa o fukushū to eien no o mitsukeru.
TROPICAL AQUARIUMS <---My hobby
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

R500? :shock:

I don't quite know what to say man. Wow. I am simply gobsmacked. So the one you paid R500 for is the real one that athletes designed? That's different then.
We started out with a single mission - bring out the best in people by bringing science and nature together.
What science??? Please show it to me!
fallen_angel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by fallen_angel »

KALSTER wrote:
We started out with a single mission - bring out the best in people by bringing science and nature together.
What science??? Please show it to me!
The "magic" to the bracelet is a very simple explanation... how it works from there is a bit different.

The hologram that everyone is making such a massive fuss about is a Mylar film and works on the same principle as foil paper in an oven... it blocks good energy frequencies and reflect it back into your body. Now the fun part starts... In chinese medicine it's called Qi. Most martial artists will know it as Chi. Now your body has core points where these "good" energies get released ie. the front of your head, wrists, hands, chest and feet. So in otherwords by having the wristband or necklace on you are actually blocking the energy and it starts to resonate back into your body. Easiest way to explain it would be to look at what resonance can do to a solid structure... if 6Hz can wobble a 50 ton bridge what can you do with 7.93Hz?

So there is a bit of science involved but mostly Chinese medicine

Watashi no ikari wa anata no tamashī wa heiwa o fukushū to eien no o mitsukeru.
TROPICAL AQUARIUMS <---My hobby
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I saw them at my local chemist and wondered how they work. Interesting.
jee

Post by jee »

Aaah... Fallen-Angel... now you are talking my language :) Chi is seen as the life force, and the energy points you are talking about are the chakras.

I don't have one, but my one friend has one (she does Bemer treatments) and she swears that it works.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

My physiotherapist uses a Bemer bed. Says it really works. Must admit - not sure if I have felt the benefit from that or her amazing hands.