approx cost repairs to clutch

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
DeeVeeDee

approx cost repairs to clutch

Post by DeeVeeDee »

Can anyone tell me how much it would be to get a 'clutch thrust bearing' and a 'hydrolic lifter' fixed at a nissan dealer.
Its a 2005 hardbody

I just need to know if its going to be like R1000 or R10 000.
They cant tell me cus they want me to bring it in and they also dont give our loan cars whilst its in for repair.
_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Re: approx cost repairs to clutch

Post by GreyWolf »

You are probably looking at 3k for the parts. And then they gonna rip you a new one with labour costs...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Ja, I'm guessing closer to R10k than R1k. ;)
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

ouch ,thanks sounds about right the 2nd last service was 4K i did it my self the last time and it costed me R1500
I dont think i know how to strip the engine to get to the problem so i cant fix this one on my own. :-(

But then on the other hand i always wanted a Jeep wrangler :twisted:
Maybe i can use this as an excuse to my self to get it.
_̴ı̴̴̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡ ̡͌l̡*̡̡ ̴̡ı̴̴̡ ̡̡͡|̲̲̲͡͡͡ ̲▫̲͡ ̲̲̲͡͡π̲̲͡͡ ̲̲͡▫̲̲͡͡ ̲|̡̡̡ ̡ ̴̡ı̴̡̡ ̡͌l̡̡̡
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

For the lifter you probably need to remove the cylinder head, but maybe not, I'm not familiar with that engine.

For the thrust bearing you will definitely need to remove the gearbox.

Thus it's best to get it to a mechanic. Try to buy the thrust bearing and lifter from midas or autozone and take the car to a mechanic, not the dealers and ask them to fit it for you.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

Hman wrote:For the lifter you probably need to remove the cylinder head, but maybe not, I'm not familiar with that engine.

For the thrust bearing you will definitely need to remove the gearbox.

Thus it's best to get it to a mechanic. Try to buy the thrust bearing and lifter from midas or autozone and take the car to a mechanic, not the dealers and ask them to fit it for you.
What the possibility of a grease nipple sitting somewhere where i can just pump in some grease for the bearing?
It sounds like its just dry , when i step on the clutch and wait about 5 seconds it makes a noise. and when releasing it again the noise goes away.
Hman

Post by Hman »

Thrust bearings are almost always sealed units.

You could try spraying some Q20 or something similar at the bearing if there is a hole in the bell housing. But I doubt that there is a hole.

How many km's have you done on your current clutch?

DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

Hman wrote:Thrust bearings are almost always sealed units.

You could try spraying some Q20 or something similar at the bearing if there is a hole in the bell housing. But I doubt that there is a hole.

Just just over a 100K, I have to add that i have had this bakkie in deep mud and water a few times deep as in the side stepping bars not visible. , i also towed about 2 tons with it once from nelspruid to PTA

But the clutch catches fine it doesnt slip or anything, well not yet.
Hman

Post by Hman »

Then it's probably just some rust.

Try some Q20 and replace the bearing when you do the clutch.

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

DeeVeeDee wrote:What the possibility of a grease nipple sitting somewhere where i can just pump in some grease for the bearing?
Good lawd I hope jamin doesn't read this! :shock:
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Buy the Jeep...
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Hman

Post by Hman »

Just remember that a Jeep is a good deal more expensive to maintain than a Nissan bakkie.

hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Stuart wrote:
DeeVeeDee wrote:What the possibility of a grease nipple sitting somewhere where i can just pump in some grease for the bearing?
Good lawd I hope jamin doesn't read this! :shock:
My forum word filter picked up grease nipple and pump, so here I am!
DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

Hman wrote:Just remember that a Jeep is a good deal more expensive to maintain than a Nissan bakkie.
So i have heard , the other issue is i can only afford +- 130K car and Jeeps are quite expensive the ones in my price range has more than 100K on the clock.
So i will end up buying something that will also need a new clutch or some other parts in the future.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

yeah. no. yeah. I have yet to see a bell housing with a hole in it. It does sound like rust, but to do any maintenance you will need move the gearbox out of the way. You will need someone with a pit or a 4 post jack. As for the lifter, it might be as simple as removing the cylinder head cover, or it might involve the whole head. Either way, unless you are adept at mechanics, and have the proper tools, I am afraid you will need a pro to look at it. sorry m8.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Hman

Post by Hman »

A bakkie is more practical anyway, but if you do want to get a different one, try one of the other local bakkies, ie. Ford/Mazda, Isuzu or Toyota.

Hman

Post by Hman »

GreyWolf wrote:yeah. no. yeah. I have yet to see a bell housing with a hole in it...
Shall I take a photo of my car's gearbox, or any other vehicle that has a old fork type thrust arm? :P

DeeVeeDee

Post by DeeVeeDee »

GreyWolf wrote:

yeah. no. yeah. I have yet to see a bell housing with a hole in it. It does sound like rust, but to do any maintenance you will need move the gearbox out of the way. You will need someone with a pit or a 4 post jack. As for the lifter, it might be as simple as removing the cylinder head cover, or it might involve the whole head. Either way, unless you are adept at mechanics, and have the proper tools, I am afraid you will need a pro to look at it. sorry m8.
if i take off the cylinder head cover , Will i need new gaskets ? But i dont think its just that simple cus its a V6 which might be bit more complicated due to the shape.
But i still want to have a quick look. I'm not to bad with technical things.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Hman wrote:
GreyWolf wrote:yeah. no. yeah. I have yet to see a bell housing with a hole in it...
Shall I take a photo of my car's gearbox, or any other vehicle that has a old fork type thrust arm? :P
fo shizzle. it just seems to me to be counter-intuitive to put a hole so that water and dirt can get into a place that really shouldn't get any. especially in a vehicle that is meant to go off-road (ish) :)
- H. L. Mancken
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Obviously neither of you have experience with that specific vehicle? :roll: Darn IT geeks.... :tongueincheek:

DeeVeeDee, see if you can find a forum that deals with your needs.

I've had real good support from the Mitsubishi Forums - even got workshop manuals and when I'm stuck it always seems as though someone else's had the same issue.

Sterkte.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey