Title rivals vie for bragging rights

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Title rivals vie for bragging rights

Post by Tel »

Arsenal.com wrote:Title rivals vie for bragging rights
By Owen Pinch

Whenever Premiership heavyweights Arsenal and Manchester United meet the rivalry between the two sides invariably sparks debate as to which side holds the bragging rights.

While those from the red side of North London will point to this season's league table and last season's historic unbeaten campaign, United fans will bring up the 1999 Treble season and Ferguson's eight titles from the past 12 attempts.

Separating the two sides has been made trickier over the last decade following Manchester United's near domination of the 1990s. Before 1993 United had lifted just five titles to Arsenal's 10. United currently have 15 titles to our 13, but with two of the last three trophies ending up in the Highbury cabinet Arsenal are rapidly closing the gap.

Separating the teams becomes no easier when we look at the full stats. Since the two teams first met in 1894 Arsenal have won 74 encounters to United's 76.

When it comes to the managers most United fans will find it difficult to look beyond their own Sir Alex Ferguson as the top man in the dugouts on Sunday. But his record against our own Arsene Wenger throws up some interesting figures.

Of the 25 meetings between the two managers Wenger has won 11 with Sir Alex being on the winning side just seven times, seven have been drawn. In those 25 games, Arsenal have scored 36 goals with United netting 26 in reply.

The Arsenal fans can also proudly point to the fact that their team are currently a record-setting 49 games unbeaten and have finished in the top two in the Premiership for the past seven seasons.

Whatever happens on Sunday the Arsenal and Manchester United supporters no doubt will agree to disagree.

Ref: Arsenal.com
GO GUNNERS!!! :bigups:
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
brabham

Post by brabham »

ought to be a good game hope United can break the unbeaten record and get everything back to normal as it were. :p

Ah well I think no matter what happens football will be the loser because these games just reek of stalemate.
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Manchester United win, 2-0! 0wnage. Beat Arsenal record. First loss since 4 May 2003!

(PS. I didn't know which topic to post this under, there's so many, at least I didn't make a new one)
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
Nerevar

Post by Nerevar »

neon_chameleon, that match was very GOOOODD!!!

I love MANU!!!!!!
E6600@2.9GHz, Asus8800 GTS, 2x2GB
Patriot DDR2 4-4-4-12 @ 900MHz
neon_chameleon
Moderator Emeritus

Post by neon_chameleon »

Nerevar wrote:neon_chameleon, that match was very GOOOODD!!!

I love MANU!!!!!!
Yeah, was an awesome game. People might argue about the penalty but either way you look at it, Man U won. They could have awarded Cole 's hard tackle on Ronaldo in the box. Rooney just put the icing on the metaphorical cake with the 90' goal.

*off topic*

Nerevar, glad to hear you getting HomeDSL 384, awesome. 'Cos your posts have double in a matter of a month! So definately worth it. I was thinking of getting it too, maybe still after exams. But the problem is I'll sit here online all day every day then. At least for dial-up, I know it's costing me money for being online so I disconnect.
Qualifications: BSc Computer Science & Information Technology, BCom Information Systems Honours, ISACA CISA, ISACA CRISC
Experience: Web Design, IT Auditing, IT Governance, Computer Retail, IT Consulting
Interests: Technology, Nutrition, Toasters, BBM, Facebook, Colourful Diagrams
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

I didn't watch the game. Rooney ended Arsenal's long run again.

Remember, he ended Arsenal's 30-odd run about 2 season's ago.

Congrat's to MU though, I'm sure they deserved it.
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
brabham

Post by brabham »

Well I felt the quality of football at times wasn't the best. in fact for most of the game it was more spoiling tacticcs than anything else. That said I also enjoyed the game immensely as these games are always fraught with tension so you cant take your eyes off the game for one second. Of course that tension was aptly released when Ruud nailed the penalty and even more so when Rooney sealed it late on.

On another bright note for United fans:
Manchester United's board have announced on Monday that they have terminated discussions with American tycoon Malcolm Glazer with immediate effect.
I kill you in my dreams, I turn the other cheek during the day.

i5 2500k : ASUS P8P67 : ASUS 560ti : Antec High Current Pro 850 : 2x2GB G.Skill : 160GB + 1.5TB Seagate SATA 7200rpm : LG super multi DVD writer : Coolermaster Storm Enforcer
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Envinyatar wrote:I didn't watch the game. Rooney ended Arsenal's long run again.

I can "sense" the sarcasm a MILE off with that "I'm sure they deserved it" remark of yours. he he
I just luv how the rev didnt see that there was in fact NO contact between Rooney and the Arsenal defender, when he did that Oscar-winning performance to get the penalty shoot. It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside that we scored an illegal goal. Water under the bridge.

S
newtonHeath

Post by newtonHeath »

Sojourn wrote:
Envinyatar wrote:I didn't watch the game. Rooney ended Arsenal's long run again.

I can "sense" the sarcasm a MILE off with that "I'm sure they deserved it" remark of yours. he he
I just luv how the rev didnt see that there was in fact NO contact between Rooney and the Arsenal defender, when he did that Oscar-winning performance to get the penalty shoot. It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside that we scored an illegal goal. Water under the bridge.

S
Ronaldo should have gotten a penalty, so its all even. But then again who cares because these things are bound to happen. Remember Pires's dive last season. Remember Henry's offside goal against ManUtd 2 seasons ago. What comes around goes around.