The Movie Thread

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
NealeDeadlyAlien
Registered Bush Snake Facehugger

Re: The Movie Thread

Post by NealeDeadlyAlien »

Ah yes, Jonathan Liebesman is the name I have heard on multiple occasions, hmm It is a pity but I'm sure he will do another awesome horror film.

Most of the endings of FT13 I've been pleased with, although somewhat predictable *Jason Voorhees constantly losing the battle* but still great movies.

Gore FTW, I fully agree :D
Molean

Post by Molean »

I think so too! His next film is a sci-fi, but sounds really awesome! It's called; Battle: Los Angeles, Aboot the american military trying to stop an alien invasion in the middle of LA. Hehe, I'm quite the gorehound myself...
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
NealeDeadlyAlien

Molean wrote:I think so too! His next film is a sci-fi, but sounds really awesome! It's called; Battle: Los Angeles, Aboot the american military trying to stop an alien invasion in the middle of LA. Hehe, I'm quite the gorehound myself...
Yes!!!!! thats where I heard that name from, I read the preview a few days ago. :) sounds good aswell.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

What did you guys think of Jason X? I though it was pretty good, with believable tech. I have a thing for Lexa Doig as well. :mrgreen: The chick robot was a bit stupid though.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Molean

Post by Molean »

Jason X was uber bad...it seems to be a trend to send certain horror characters into space for some reason...dunno what the point is...perhaps that even in space you aren't safe? Lol, the best part of the flick is when Jason was in that reality room of some sort and he picks up the sleeping bag with gals inside and proceeds to bash them against the floor...man did I LOL...
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
NealeDeadlyAlien

I fully agree with Molean, Jason X destroyed the concept of Friday the 13 IMHO
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Oh ok. :) I have only seen the first one and one or two others though. Must be (sorta) like me not really liking I, Robot, because I am a huge fan of Asimov's and they took way too many liberties IMO (I own the short story collection named I, Robot by Asimov). How rarely does one see a good movie version of a book? Can anyone think of one? Bicentennial Man was a pile of ****** compared to the novella version.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Molean

Post by Molean »

Jurassic Park? lol...there are a few good transitions from novel to film, not that I can name many off the top of my head, but I knoes wot you mean. Alot of book to movie versions have been a load of tripe. I want to see a movie that is as close to the book as possible, almost as if you were reading the book. Not take the book and then make your own story out of it and then make it into a movie...I understand that some parts in a book may be hard to put on-screen and that books are alot longer than a movie(as in pages of the book to script) but alot of that is being discriptive text inside the book, which can surely be shown on screen, there are and will be ways to work around it, not saying all novels will be able to do this but Im sure there must be a few...are there any movies out there that have done this? None that I know of...
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

The Green Mile was a fantastic film adaptation. Truly fantastic, they really captured the essence of the mouse, Eduard De La Croix, the warden, etc.
to ápeiro anima
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

UrBaN wrote:The Green Mile was a fantastic film adaptation. Truly fantastic, they really captured the essence of the mouse, Eduard De La Croix, the warden, etc.
+1

That and 'The Shawshank Redemption' are two of my favourite films of all time...
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Finally got to watch "The Lovely Bones" this weekend, well worth watching if you're in the mood for something a bit more somber than your regular hack and slash thriller affair. Not scary, but quite eerie.
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Studio Touch Visagie

Post by Studio Touch Visagie »

I just heard that Morgan Freeman will be playing Jacky Selebi in a movie called "Convictus"
Molean

Post by Molean »

The Lovely Bones was quite a cool flick, something different, which I enjoyed. Just read some reviews on Avatar: The Last Airbender from M. Night Shyamalan and it has been slated by critics...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

NealeDeadlyAlien wrote:Absolutely! I hear that Scream 4 is in production, should be quite interesting as well.
Scream was perhaps the best slasher trilogy of recent years. They should really let sleeping dogs lie. My prediction is that they're not going to do anything positive to the franchise with the fourth film.
Molean wrote:The only Jason's I have watched was the first one, a true Classic and Jason X *Shudder* an well obviously Jason VS Freddy, which I dug...
Jason was barely in the first one. Jason X was pretty horrible. JvF was a pretty fun horror.
NealeDeadlyAlien wrote:I will admit to you that I have never seen any of the Nightmare on elm street films at all, not too sure why.
For your own sanity's sake, might I suggest that you do NOT watch the originals before watching the reboot? If you intend to watch the reboot, just leave it at that and try to enjoy. Freddy in the reboot is NOT Robert Englund.
NealeDeadlyAlien wrote:I fully agree with Molean, Jason X destroyed the concept of Friday the 13 IMHO
Jason X took the franchise in a completely different direction, and then it was suddenly brought back to earth (literally and metaphorically) with JvF. JvF picked up where Jason Goes to Hell ended, and completely ignored Jason X.

Speaking of the classics, anyone watched the Rob Zombie Halloween reboots?

Don't.
Molean

Post by Molean »

Scream or slashers in general have been done through and through, so anything new they can bring to the table I wouldn't mind watching.

Jason was in the last scene in the first one as
Spoiler (show)
His mother was the original killer for those of you who didn't know
I disagree, the first collection of NOES are classics! If you are a real horror fan, you should watch them. Yea the new Freddy Is Jackie Earle, who played Rawshack in Watchmen.

I've watched both of Rob Zombies remakes, the first one was alright, or I should say the first half of it was rather good. Then it became kill everything that moves...as for the second one, thats how it started and ended...so not much to say for that...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Molean wrote:I disagree, the first collection of NOES are classics! If you are a real horror fan, you should watch them. Yea the new Freddy Is Jackie Earle, who played Rawshack in Watchmen.
That's actually kinda my point. Once you're accustomed to Englund as Freddy, Earle just does not do it. So if you want to watch the reboot and be happy with it, best not watch the originals. Otherwise you'll find yourself comparing Earle to Englund at every turn.
Molean wrote:I've watched both of Rob Zombies remakes, the first one was alright, or I should say the first half of it was rather good. Then it became kill everything that moves...as for the second one, thats how it started and ended...so not much to say for that...
Zombie's Halloween was meh. Tyler Mane has potential as Michael, but the story was lacking.

Zombie's Halloween II was definitely the worst Halloween movie, probably the worst horror I've ever seen, and quite possibly the worst movie I've ever seen.
Molean

Post by Molean »

Ah ok, I see what you mean...In that case, if you haven't seen ANY of the previous Nightmares then maybe watch the remake first...although it doesn't bother me that they have changed actors. Robert Englund did his part and very well, now it's time for someone else to give it a bash. Thats what interests me, to see how he portrays the character, which I have read is alot darker than the previous Freddy...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Molean wrote:Ah ok, I see what you mean...In that case, if you haven't seen ANY of the previous Nightmares then maybe watch the remake first...although it doesn't bother me that they have changed actors. Robert Englund did his part and very well, now it's time for someone else to give it a bash. Thats what interests me, to see how he portrays the character, which I have read is alot darker than the previous Freddy...
To me, a large part of the Freddy character was the voice. Englund had it down to a tee; Earle doesn't pull it off quite as well.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Horrorbid.com wrote:Sometimes one wishes for the winds of change to come but instead are greeted by a gentle breeze that translates into remakes and reboots. With this topic being butchered to death over the past few years we won’t bore you with another rant about how originality is dead and Hollywood only cares about money. That story has been written. What we do want to talk about is the remaking of remakes...

Which oddly is something that we aren't sure any of us expected so soon. What do we mean by that? We’re not naive in thinking that if a film can be remade once that somehow puts it into an untouchable category that makes it off limits for future attempts at remaking the same movie. We just didn’t think it would happen for another 10 to 20 years. Obviously our heads were in the clouds because Hollywood is remaking remakes and the trend seems to be in an infant stage. One that will only grow no doubt and be built upon. With comic book movies seeing the remake of the remake treatment with films like Superman, The Hulk, and Spider-man, is it really that far fetched of an idea that horror movies are next? Texas Chainsaw Massacre was what many consider the start of the horror remake boom and talks are hot and heavy to reboot the franchise once again.

So are we losing creativity here? Has Hollywood lost its touch? The answer is no. Creativity is at an all time high and with technology gaining access into an ever growing number of homes and business any Joe Schmo with an internet connection and half a brain can write a screen play that would probably rival half of the dreck that makes it to the silver screen these days. So with creativity not lacking why aren’t we seeing new ideas and brand new ideas flourishing on the screen, in games, and even in the music industry? The answer lies in the bottom line. The almighty dollar.

A proven franchise is not only less risk but guaranteed money. If you slap the name Friday the 13th on a film or Halloween you're guaranteeing 20 million at the box office right off the bat. Why not take the easy path? If you had a few million dollars to spend on a project would you want to take a gamble on (insert cheesy movie title here) or a franchise that has millions of fans? It’s a no brainier and who are we to argue with Hollywood for doing something each and everyone of us would do if we were in the same place. We would take the safe bet. Most of us would anyway. It’s those few of us that wouldn’t that will push the envelope and create art and a new fan base. The sad fact of the matter is for every 30 films those creative artists make, 29 will fail and loose money. It takes all the stars to lineup perfectly to create another Halloween or Friday the 13th. It isn’t something that just happens. Many chase that dream never to realize it.

Where are we going with this you ask? We’ll we’ve mentioned the film Halloween. We’ve seen Rob Zombie take the film and re-imagine it. Some loved it and others loathed it. Regardless of your feelings, he certainty put his own flare on the series. Something that we can applaud for the simple fact that at the very least he created his own vision. But that also has us thinking. With Rob Zombie’s Halloween 2 not performing well at the box office, the Weinstein Brothers reported that Halloween 3 in 3D would be in the development stages. That news broke on the weekend Rob’s H2 came out. It took many of us in the industry by surprise but it also made sense. It gave fans that hated the film something to hang their hats on, hoping that the series may once again take a different turn. The director and writer of My Bloody Valentine 3D, Patrick Lussier and Todd Farmer, were signed on and the film was all but a done deal. Fast forward a week or two later and the project was canceled. It left many of us scratching our heads wondering why the fast axe? We’ve heard nothing about the project since and we are beginning to put the puzzle together on why that may be.

We go back to where this story started…remakes. How unlikely would a remake of the Halloween franchise for a second time be? Not that unlikely and we feel strongly that something might just be in the works. Again Rob Zombie gave the Halloween series a shot in the arm that it needed. A different look and feel. A very gritty, dirty look and feel that only Rob Zombie can do, and do well. He created his version of Halloween but that was his vision. Michael Myers is a character that was built in the suburbs. An old fashioned 50’s mid western setting with fall leaves blowing in the wind and kids carving jack-o-lanterns on the porch. Something so innocent. A time that many of us remember as a child trick or treating or at the very least picture in our mind when thinking of the holiday. But that fun and exciting time turned so brutal when the character of Michael Myers was unleashed and started terrorizing Haddonfield, his home. It was that contrast that we feel the fan base may be longing for again and something they may be wanting to reinvent. Instead of trying to continue Zombie’s gritty style we see the studios remaking the franchise taking it into an entirely new direction, one where nostalgia meets brutality. It will have the Halloween stamp on it. It will cause fans in droves to go see it. It will continue on one of the greatest horror icons in history and most importantly it's a safe bet, it will make money. Again, you have to think of the dollars at the end of the day.

So with that being said, how would you feel to see a reboot of a reboot? Do you welcome the idea or does remaking something so many times tarnish the originality that still exists? Isn’t there a point when an idea becomes so used up that we as an audience just grow tired of it? Will that happen to Halloween and when is too many remakes too many? If we are rebooting a franchise every 5 or 10 years when does it stop? A lot to think about Bidites. We want to hear your thoughts on this topic. Let us know where you stand not just with Halloween (our example) but with remaking remakes in general. It’s time to be heard, Hollywood is listening.
Please say no.
Molean

Post by Molean »

I hate remakes! Only and I mean ONLY a very select few have passed the mark and actually been enjoyable...this is the reason why I have turned to Foreign horror(and Old school) as they seem like the only bunch to spit out ORIGINAL ideas, fair enough some may borrow ideas or homage from/to other films in its same class/genre but they are a helluva alot better than what hollywood have been churning out lately...its rather sad...

edit: Oh yes Freddies voice is awesome! Well time will tell for me, two weeks until it's Nightmare time and will give you my opinion then...
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

and quite possibly the worst movie I've ever seen.
Have you ever seen Attack of the Sabertooth tiger? Recon 2020?
NealeDeadlyAlien

Stuart wrote:
NealeDeadlyAlien wrote:Absolutely! I hear that Scream 4 is in production, should be quite interesting as well.
Scream was perhaps the best slasher trilogy of recent years. They should really let sleeping dogs lie. My prediction is that they're not going to do anything positive to the franchise with the fourth film.
Molean wrote:The only Jason's I have watched was the first one, a true Classic and Jason X *Shudder* an well obviously Jason VS Freddy, which I dug...
Jason was barely in the first one. Jason X was pretty horrible. JvF was a pretty fun horror.
NealeDeadlyAlien wrote:I will admit to you that I have never seen any of the Nightmare on elm street films at all, not too sure why.
For your own sanity's sake, might I suggest that you do NOT watch the originals before watching the reboot? If you intend to watch the reboot, just leave it at that and try to enjoy. Freddy in the reboot is NOT Robert Englund.
NealeDeadlyAlien wrote:I fully agree with Molean, Jason X destroyed the concept of Friday the 13 IMHO
Jason X took the franchise in a completely different direction, and then it was suddenly brought back to earth (literally and metaphorically) with JvF. JvF picked up where Jason Goes to Hell ended, and completely ignored Jason X.

Speaking of the classics, anyone watched the Rob Zombie Halloween reboots?

Don't.
It seems like Scream 4 is having abit of production problems once again, I won't hold my breathe for too long.

Hmmmm I'm not really following with the "watch the reboot first" Why is that? I would always assume the originals would be the best to start off with than watching the reboot.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

NealeDeadlyAlien wrote:Hmmmm I'm not really following with the "watch the reboot first" Why is that? I would always assume the originals would be the best to start off with than watching the reboot.
What I'm saying is that if you intend to watch the reboot the originals will spoil it for you. So either just watch the reboot, or watch the originals. Not both.
NealeDeadlyAlien

Oh ok.
ADT

Post by ADT »

Watched Green Zone last night,...no comment... :|
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~