The Banana Republic thread

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
lancelot

Re: The Banana Republic thread

Post by lancelot »

ryanrich wrote:
lancelot wrote:You will not get an EU passport from Cyprus, however having a Cyprian passport is better than just having an SA one.
Why not? They're part of the EU... What are the other requirements? I thought that was it... :oops:
My apologies to both you and Star! I have not kept up with latest developments, I was concentrating on Northern Cyprus (Turkish control), they of course are not EU.

Sorry about that.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

ryanrich wrote:
Stuart wrote:
Prime wrote: And Its not their customers fault that they couldn't use their bandwidth. Sorry but I think the courteous thing to do would have been to roll it over. Roll it over for 3 days or come to a compromise and roll it over for 1 day.

Its the small things that make customers loyal.
Loyalty is really not a big issue here. I guarantee you that no SP compensated customers for days of lost bandwidth during the Seacom outage. Afrihost acted in accordance with the well-known ADSL concept of "best effort."
Backtracking on what they initially said is pretty annoying though...
This is true, though my (possibly mistaken) impression from the emails quoted is that the first support guy made promises without checking with management first.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

lancelot wrote:
ryanrich wrote:
lancelot wrote:You will not get an EU passport from Cyprus, however having a Cyprian passport is better than just having an SA one.
Why not? They're part of the EU... What are the other requirements? I thought that was it... :oops:
My apologies to both you and Star! I have not kept up with latest developments, I was concentrating on Northern Cyprus (Turkish control), they of course are not EU.

Sorry about that.

Phew!
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Belix

Post by Belix »

http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/sout ... 5869445773
Herald sun wrote: AUSSIES heading to South Africa for the World Cup are in more danger of becoming a victim of violence than in Afghanistan.

A private security expert has warned Aussies could be putting themselves at risk by heading to the country, which has one of the highest rates of violent crime on the planet, The Herald Sun reports

It comes as the Government revealed that just a fraction of Australian travellers headed to the event next month had registered through the Department of Foreign Affairs.

The situation is likely to create huge difficulties when it comes to identifying or finding Aussie travellers when they get into trouble.

But Socceroo Harry Kewell said Australian football fans had nothing to worry about.

"Like anything, if you walk down the wrong street in any city you will probably find trouble,'' Kewell said.

"My family's coming. I feel safe, it's safe enough for my kids, so the more the merrier.''

More than 10,000 Australians are expected to fly to South Africa for the event. Just 1631 have logged their names with the Foreign Affairs' Smart Traveller registry.

Australian fans have been warned of a high risk of becoming victims of fraud, muggings and even kidnapping.

Expert Doug Nicholson said inexperienced travellers could be most at risk.

"South African metropolitan areas are a very dangerous place,'' he said. ``I would honestly say they would be at more risk there than somewhere like Kabul, which you have to realise has a very heavy foreign military presence.''

The Foreign Affairs Department said it had issued advice through its website to ensure travellers could make an informed decision.

"The Australian Government takes the safety of Australians travelling overseas very seriously,'' a DFAT spokeswoman said.

"Travellers should be aware there is a high crime rate in South Africa and they should pay close attention to their personal security at all times.''
Hmmm, great press we're getting overseas. I think they're overexagerating, but sadly, only a little bit...

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I'd rather have foreign tourists aware of the dangers and wary than ignorant...

Saying SA is worse than Kabul is load of crap, but our major cities are worse than any urban environment any Aussie will ever encounter down under and they must be made aware of this.

Durbanites, just image foreign tourists leaving their suite at the Hilton or the Holiday inn and going for a late night walk through the backstreet of our CBD or the less reputable stretches of our beach-front...
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

jamin_za wrote:the backstreet of our CBD or the less reputable stretches of our beach-front...
where the ever-wily jamin_za lies in wait.. .jar of finest mayonnaise close at hand?

i think the europeans are going to be permanently scarred by our traffic...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Prime

Post by Prime »

10000 people with no table manners?! God, the horror. :lol:
Last edited by Prime on 21 May 2010, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

rustypup wrote:
jamin_za wrote:the backstreet of our CBD or the less reputable stretches of our beach-front...
where the ever-wily jamin_za lies in wait.. .jar of finest mayonnaise close at hand?

i think the europeans are going to be permanently scarred by our traffic...
except the italians...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

news24 wrote:Johannesburg - The Hawks arrested four people implicated in a 419 scam at the weekend after they allegedly held a US woman hostage for nearly a month, an official said on Monday.
<..>
The gang started scamming her last year and fleeced $60 000 from her between April and July.
<..>
She was told to come to South Africa in person to claim her prize and bring $2 000.
<..>
The four people - three Nigerians and a South African woman - were arrested on Saturday.
so... it's true... some people lack the facility to learn from their mistakes...
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Unbelievable, is greed actually that strong that all intelligent thought goes out the window?
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Assuming this woman ever had an intelligent thought in her life....

Her husband must be pissed she lost $60K of his money!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

jamin_za wrote: Her husband must be pissed she lost $60K of his money!
No he is waiting for the return on the investment ;).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ADT

Post by ADT »

Cops storm wrong house - Wow well done Po-Po's , load of idiots :|

http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/ ... e-20100609
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

iol.coza wrote:They had apparently wanted to watch a gospel show on television, while David Makweya had wanted to watch the soccer on Sunday night.
well... that all seems perfectly reasonable...
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

rustypup wrote:
iol.coza wrote:They had apparently wanted to watch a gospel show on television, while David Makweya had wanted to watch the soccer on Sunday night.
well... that all seems perfectly reasonable...
Perfectly....
His wife, son and daughter were granted bail of R1 500 each
Bail amounts seem perfectly reasonable as well.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Why didn't they judge save us some money and send them on there way to watch the gospel show in person :roll:
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

A Kiwi reporters view on Joburg and the World Cup...
So close to escaping hellhole of Jo'burg

One way or other, the All Whites will be out of this hellhole in days, and we will be off with them.

To Durban, probably, or home, and quite honestly, preferably the latter in some ways.

Johannesburg is an eye-opener, in a way that makes you want to shut the eyes tight and dream of elsewhere.

This is the most dangerous dump I have ever been in.

Sepp Blatter and his superstar Fifa mates may have been right to bring the World Cup to Africa, but they will be enjoying a luxury ride.

Blatter hasn't had to wait outside Ellis Park in the dark, surrounded by people, police cars driving by, hoping the promised van turns up before violent robbers do.

The stories I have heard of life here are heartbreaking, tragic, awful.

We have met some wonderful people, without a doubt.

We have also met wonderful people with doubt, because you quickly learn never to trust.

One in our contingent has had his credit card skimmed, probably by the smiling, waving bloke at our only regular cafe.

And while trying to get money out of an ATM, a hand that came with a happy face suddenly grabbed the card, supposedly with the offer of help. Sure.

And don't step out of your compound at night alone. Don't even think about it.

Our van driver took us to a posh shopping mall he said was safe, except for the carpark.

This is a place where you look over your shoulder, without making eye contact.

As for the stories ... I don't know how people live here. They say they become immune.

The include a man whose wife was stabbed for a cellphone, had a friend shot and paralysed in her driveway and a mate taken on a carjack ride.

There's a motorway off-ramp that was once more like a shooting gallery for robbers. People are left for dead, or needing wheelchairs.

How is the World Cup coming across at home? It's all about the soccer, I suppose.

Not when you are here, though.

We have been through a magic ride with the All Whites in and around Jo'burg and, on leaving, it will be for the last time.
Source
Studio Touch Visagie

Post by Studio Touch Visagie »

Did anyone else hear rumors about the mass killings that will take place on the 12th of July? I'm so sick and tired of these stories.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Did the rounds in an email. Hogwash :|
Will see if I can find the mail.

Edit: found it
Subject: WARNING- Received 17th June 2010

Not sure if its true, worth keeping in mind.

On July 12 we will kill all the whites...' Afrikaners, black workers warned…

11 June 2010 - “Alex” writes: “My husband happened to be in one of the firearms shops at the East Rand, whose owner is a friend. While they were talking a black man walked into the shop and started blowing the vuvuzela really loudly. The shop owner told him to take the vuvuzela elsewhere or he'd stick it in a very uncomfortable place.

"The black man then turned on my husband and the shop owner in a tirade, saying that 'you'd better enjoy your shop for a few days more, because that shop is going to belong to me after 12 July 2010 because I am going to come and take it.'
"On July 12 we black people will be ready to mow down all you whites,' he reportedly said.

This man ‘s identity is known to the gunshop-owner: he regularly purchases firearm for Winnie Mandela's security staff and had just ordered 400 bulletproof vests through them.

“The man said that they were going to kill all 'your people's' children, women, old people and men, and that time they won't be fighting with knobkieries and pangas, they now are well-armed. We are going to come and fetch nice stuff from you whites,' he said.

Alex: “The shocked shop-owner still tried to laugh it off but he must have seen the angry look on my husband's face. The black man threatened my husband with the words ‘I will see you on 12 July or even before depending on how Bafana-Bafana (the South Bfrican football team, the name translates to ‘boys-boys’) is faring.' The man also added that when ‘they were finished killing the whites they would turn on the Chinese”. He also mentioned a black tribal whose people would also be attacked and murdered but my husband couldn't recall the tribe’s name afterwards because he'd become so angered.'

Alex: “The black man told my husband that he would 'shoot at people's legs'. My husband responded that he never did - he would shoot right between the eyes - and that he would not miss.’

“ After a sleepless night my husband went to visit his friend at the gunshop again. His friend confirmed that he’d asked a black woman who works there to find out more about this threat, and she confirmed that the black workers are constantly being told on the trains between home and work that ‘the workers will have to start helping to kill them on July 12 when they will start killing all the white people. And if the black workers didn't help they would be killed too. “

The shop owner said ‘the intelligence service was well-aware of the threats to start killing all the whites on July 12.”
(article by Adriana Stuijt a.j.stuijt@knid.nlThe sources of this article are reliable and known to me. They greatly fear victimisation and refuse to be identified.)
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

SykomantiS wrote:Did the rounds in an email. Hogwash :|
Will see if I can find the mail.

Edit: found it
Google "Adriana Stuijt". She's more right wing than anything that's left of the AWB, known to embroider upon the truth to fit her agenda and very much into sensationalistic (is there such a word?) journalism. :?

Feel free to e-mail her.

Disclaimer: Note that most of this stuff stems from 2007 and earlier. She might be dead now for all I know.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
UrBaN

Post by UrBaN »

Such sensationalist nonsense. Sure there are dangers in JHB, but there are dangers everywhere.

I'm no fool as to the hazards of JHb, but honestly, try to write your article SLIGHTLY objectively. That article just makes it appear as though JHB is the most dangerous place in the world, evar!!!11

Absolute trollop.
to ápeiro anima
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Well compared to what he's used to JHB city centre probably does quite resemble a hell hole...
ADT

Post by ADT »

ryanrich wrote:A Kiwi reporters view on Joburg and the World Cup...
So close to escaping hellhole of Jo'burg

One way or other, the All Whites will be out of this hellhole in days, and we will be off with them.

To Durban, probably, or home, and quite honestly, preferably the latter in some ways.

Johannesburg is an eye-opener, in a way that makes you want to shut the eyes tight and dream of elsewhere.

This is the most dangerous dump I have ever been in.

Sepp Blatter and his superstar Fifa mates may have been right to bring the World Cup to Africa, but they will be enjoying a luxury ride.

Blatter hasn't had to wait outside Ellis Park in the dark, surrounded by people, police cars driving by, hoping the promised van turns up before violent robbers do.

The stories I have heard of life here are heartbreaking, tragic, awful.

We have met some wonderful people, without a doubt.

We have also met wonderful people with doubt, because you quickly learn never to trust.

One in our contingent has had his credit card skimmed, probably by the smiling, waving bloke at our only regular cafe.

And while trying to get money out of an ATM, a hand that came with a happy face suddenly grabbed the card, supposedly with the offer of help. Sure.

And don't step out of your compound at night alone. Don't even think about it.

Our van driver took us to a posh shopping mall he said was safe, except for the carpark.

This is a place where you look over your shoulder, without making eye contact.

As for the stories ... I don't know how people live here. They say they become immune.

The include a man whose wife was stabbed for a cellphone, had a friend shot and paralysed in her driveway and a mate taken on a carjack ride.

There's a motorway off-ramp that was once more like a shooting gallery for robbers. People are left for dead, or needing wheelchairs.

How is the World Cup coming across at home? It's all about the soccer, I suppose.

Not when you are here, though.

We have been through a magic ride with the All Whites in and around Jo'burg and, on leaving, it will be for the last time.
Source
This guy should be shot :evil: , i mean seriously the only news, most of the time that makes the headlines, is negative news, and i rate the SWC situation has been handled quite well, considering crime etc...except now for that 1 American tourist who got gunned down :shock:
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
ADT

Post by ADT »

ryanrich wrote:Well compared to what he's used to JHB city centre probably does quite resemble a hell hole...

:lol: Just googled it now, Cape Town is actually rated as a more dangerous city than Joburg :shock:
Spoiler (show)
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

This morning I found myself appreciating taxis. I was stuck trying to get onto Rivonia from a slip road. My indicator was on, but do you think anyone coming down Rivonia in their fancy cars would give me a chance? Not a poop. Enter a taxi that was on the slip way behind me. He proceeds to cut into traffic and stop, then signals me to go ahead. Here's to you Mr. Kind taxi driver, you rock!
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken