2010 Soccer World Cup

Sport discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
naughty

Re: 2010 Soccer World Cup

Post by naughty »

Stuart wrote:I'm not as pessimistic about England's chances as naughty is. I must admit though, there has been very little exciting football so far this Cup. Algeria v. Slovenia was another meh game. Serbia v. Ghana is heading in the same direction. Let's hope for some good soccer tonight from Germany!
oh trust me England should see off algeria and slovenia - BUT when they hit the bigger sides in the round of 16 it starts becoming difficult - the keeper is suspect if Green remains - and the problem is that carragher and terry are both old carthorses right now and as a combination will make the opposition grin with glee - the alternatives are using Matthew Upson who is jumping from the frying pan into the fire cos he is another central defender from a side who just about escaped relegation whilst the other alternative is a player who hasnt been capped for england yet at senior level

the midfield is going to depend upon Gareth Barry getting fit and Gerrard and Lampard will not ever play well together ..... that just does not work .... never has - Capello may have to work with either of those partnered with Barry instead of both. Heskey will be terribly lucky to score even one goal - whilst Rooney cannot play effectively unless its him alone upfront and wingers on either side supplying him - and to be honest in terms of wingers - Aaron lennon is a one trick pony ie he can run albeit with the ball but no effective final ball after the hard work is done - and SWP can only just run - he may give Usain bolt a scare but that cannot help if you leave the ball behind most of the time - lets not even start with James Milner

so England are not the world beaters they claim to be - they will get slaughtered if they meet with Spain or Brazil and god knows what happens when they meet up with workmanlike teams like Germany at the latter stages

and trust me im rooting for England cos i follow the premier league more than any other league - but i cant see many positives at the moment - but plenty of problems to overcome just because a few incorrect choices were made initially
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

England haven't produced a really decent 'keeper since Seaman. That said, whilst Green completely fluffed a simple save last night, he played alright otherwise. And whilst England should have beaten America (and probably would have if it REALLY counted), I think people seriously underestimate the US. They improve every time I see them play.

I agree with your sentiments about Heskey. Not the greatest finisher in the game. Either Rooney alone or partnered with Crouch is a better bet, imho. Still, I think they have a fairly decent chance.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

We have yet to see the two favourites for the Cup play. For all we know, they may fail just as badly as England.
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
naughty

Post by naughty »

Tel wrote:We have yet to see the two favourites for the Cup play. For all we know, they may fail just as badly as England.
well to be honest Germany showed the type of performances you have to be bringing on right about now cos its only 6 games in total before the final ie three qualifiers - then last 16 then quarters and semi's - so you should be taking positives from each game and your final formation should be about proving its worth right now

to top it all off Australia are by no means an absolutely useless side - but they were made to look like weak minnows in comparison IMHO australia and USA are about equal
Asus Z68-V Pro/Gen3, i5-3570k, 16GB Kingston Hyperx DDR3-1600, Gigabyte Radeon HD6970 OC graphics card, Corsair H100 liquid cpu cooling, Lite-on Blu-ray burner, Western Digital Raptor X HDD, Gigabyte Sumo 5115 modded case, Samsung P2770 monitor
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

IMHO australia and USA are about equal
Wow you think? Germany did look very well organised and very impressive, the best thus far IMO.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

I have to agree. I only saw the first 30 mins of the Germany game last night, and they look very organised.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I would agree too about the Germans - I was outvoted and we watched V instead (old series)

I am looking forward to the Netherlands game today. Hope they beat Denmark. And then of course, Italy vs Paraguay - where I think Italy will win.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I'm going to the Netherlands vs Denmark game today!! Can't wait!!
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Oooh how I envy you. Do enjoy it - my roots come from Holland.
ADT

Post by ADT »

Deutschland Über Alles :D

Shame the poor Soccerroos had quite the beating last nite :lol:
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Felt so very very bad for the Ausies.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
ADT

Post by ADT »

Haha it was a Lolz, and I'm not someone that ** ** ** about refs, but that red card towards that Aussie player was very unnecessary :shock:
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

naughty wrote:IMHO australia and USA are about equal
Ya think? I reckon USA would run circles around Australia.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

Stuart wrote:... I reckon USA would run circles around Australia.
ditto.
ADT

Post by ADT »

Stuart wrote:
naughty wrote:IMHO australia and USA are about equal
Ya think? I reckon USA would run circles around Australia.

Yep USA would give the Aussies a beating,...

btw liking the new Avi and Sig Stuart, you're just voting for the wrong team mate :P
Spoiler (show)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I'm rooting for SA for as long as they remain in the Cup. But from Round 2 England is my team. ;)
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

I hope Germany takes the Cup. They reallys showed us what "the beatiful game" is all about.

Unfortuantely I dont see Serbia making it past the group stages. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Germany certainly put in the most clinical performance thus far, but the first round still has some way to go. I'd love to see the Netherlands today, but unfortunately I will be at work. :( I'm also keen to see Brazil's performance. Portugal and Spain are always good to watch, but I don't have very high hopes for them personally.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I am at work - but they have a fan zone :twisted: Methinks I will do and sit there at lunch time
qwiksilva666

Post by qwiksilva666 »

Ah we have a nice 42" where everyone can see in our office that will have the soccer on all the time. Man I love my office. Will maybe post a pic to make you all drool :D
~~*Head of the Druidic Council of the Pride of Darkness*~~
AMD PhenomII X4 955
M4N98TD-EVO
ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP
8GB Corsair XMS
Antec TP 750W
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

qwiksilva666 wrote:Ah we have a nice 42" where everyone can see in our office that will have the soccer on all the time. Man I love my office. Will maybe post a pic to make you all drool :D
I have a nice 47" at home.

But again, it's at home. I am not.
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

I have a very strong antipathy towards any Latin team (Por/Bra/Spa/Ita), because they tend to act the most, hence I hope none of them get to the semis, much less the final.
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Lol, yeah, I know what you mean. I've been glad to see at least a couple of cards handed out for dives so far. I anticipate a few more going the way of Argentina in particular.
qwiksilva666

Post by qwiksilva666 »

Stuart wrote:
qwiksilva666 wrote:Ah we have a nice 42" where everyone can see in our office that will have the soccer on all the time. Man I love my office. Will maybe post a pic to make you all drool :D

dam you, only have 37" at home. :lol:
~~*Head of the Druidic Council of the Pride of Darkness*~~
AMD PhenomII X4 955
M4N98TD-EVO
ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP
8GB Corsair XMS
Antec TP 750W
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

qwiksilva666 wrote:
Stuart wrote:

dam you, only have 37" at home. :lol:
Damn you all I only have a projector and a screen....
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"