Fast food axed at Afghan bases

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
doo_much

Fast food axed at Afghan bases

Post by doo_much »

Reuters wrote: Fast food joints where soldiers wolf down burgers and pizza will soon be a thing of the past at bases in Afghanistan, as the U.S. military reminds soldiers they are at war and not in "an amusement park."

In the sprawling military base at Kandahar, the fast food outlets facing the axe include Burger King, Pizza Hut, and the U.S. chain restaurant T.G.I. Friday's that features a bar with alcohol-free margaritas and other drinks -- all set along the bustling "Boardwalk" area of the base.

On any given day, the giant square-shaped walkway features the surreal sight of soldiers sipping gourmet coffee and eating chocolate pastries with guns slung across their shoulders, while Canadians play ice hockey at a nearby rink and fighter jets thunder overhead.

The U.S. military says its beef with the burger joints is that they take up valuable resources like water, power, flight and convoy space and that cutting back on non-essentials is key to running an efficient military operation.

"This is a war zone -- not an amusement park," Command Sgt. Maj. Michael Hall wrote in a blog earlier this year.

"Supplying nonessential luxuries to big bases like Bagram and Kandahar makes it harder to get essential items to combat outposts and forward operating bases, where troops who are in the fight each day need resupply with ammunition, food and water."

Warning that concessions like Orange Julius, Dairy Queen and Military Car Sales were also on the exit list, Hall said less-obvious changes were coming too -- including fewer canned and bottled goods coming into the country as well as fewer first-run movie showings and some entertainment programs.

For now, fast food joints like Burger King which operate out of little shacks along the Kandahar boardwalk are still doing brisk business, with lines snaking outside their counters, but their contracts are not expected to be renewed when they expire.

A motley crew of other stores selling Afghan books, jewelry and phone cards and the busy Canadian Tim Horton's outlet that sells coffee and doughnuts will stay on.

Some U.S. soldiers privately grumble about the cutbacks, but others said they were not bothered by the new edict.

Those desperate for comfort food always have the option of the "Chef's short order" section at the dining halls, where fried calamari rings, fish fingers and burgers are free for soldiers and available in abundance.
Source

What on earth happened to rat packs, 'varkpanne' and 'handgranaathoender'? :lol:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Re: Fast food axed at Afghan bases

Post by KillerByte »

You've obviously never seen the food that is served to American seamen aboard the larger ships.

Fried chicken, burgers and pizza are just a few of the essential foods that are available to eat.

These guys have to risk their lives everyday so I have no issue with them getting a decent meal at the end of the day. If you were in the service and tomorrow was going to be your last day wouldn't you prefer to eat burgers and pizza rather than something that looks like the chef spat in.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

KillerByte wrote:You've obviously never seen the food that is served to American seamen aboard the larger ships.

Fried chicken, burgers and pizza are just a few of the essential foods that are available to eat.

These guys have to risk their lives everyday so I have no issue with them getting a decent meal at the end of the day. If you were in the service and tomorrow was going to be your last day wouldn't you prefer to eat burgers and pizza rather than something that looks like the chef spat in.
You have something against the chef's spit? :shock:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

Its never been one of my favourite foods
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

KillerByte wrote:Its never been one of my favourite foods
Even when his sinusses are acting up? :)

Oooh look - oysters!
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

My man, when us old okes were doing border duty we had ratpacks, and the normal **** food in the mess. The only cheap things we had were cigarettes, beer and spirits. One of the reasons that the Yanks fight so crappy is that they are pampered little pussies.
Look at the Marines in the Pacific zone during WWII, those were fighting men. :P
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Well there is a reason they call it the mess you know! ;)

Only time I ever had decent food in the Army was at Infantry School - and that's only because we had an arrangement with one of the waiters at the roadhouse! :mrgreen:

The border - I neither drank nor smoked. Only luxury was mail from home. :?

Oh. And chutney and barbeque spice. :)
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey