Square Coke Bottle Design

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
M1ke

Square Coke Bottle Design

Post by M1ke »

CCS student Andrew Kim's Coke bottle redesign is an ambitious take on the iconic bottle, going square in the name of eco-friendliness. The new bottle shape would take up far less space in shipping pallets per bottle, and a push-up in the bottom large enough to accommodate the cap of the bottle beneath it would enable stacking. Said cap is offset for better drinkability.

I like it...
http://www.core77.com/blog/object_cultu ... _16266.asp
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."
Prime

Re: Square Coke Bottle Design

Post by Prime »

Won't fly! Coke bottles are designed to give the impression that they contain more than say a bottle of milk of the same volume. This encourages poor people to buy coke over milk. Also, a square bottle will deform under the pressure. The square corners will stress and crack. :|

Plus that will be more difficult to vacuum mould.
M1ke

Post by M1ke »

but it looks cool :D
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings."
wizardofid
Processor: Intel 2500K
Motherboard: Gigabyte B75M D3H
Graphics card: inno3d Jericho 570GTX
Memory: 8Gig DDR3 1333mhz

Post by wizardofid »

Won't fly! Coke bottles are designed to give the impression that they contain more than say a bottle of milk of the same volume. This encourages poor people to buy coke over milk. Also, a square bottle will deform under the pressure. The square corners will stress and crack. :|

What?? Says who? Here is a cloth your mouth is dripping BS...
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Do you know how hard it is to fit a square object up your....
Nevermind.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Do you know how hard it is to fit a square object up your....
Nevermind.
What?I did not know that you are THAT kinky....I think your weekly visits to the wheel have twisted your mind.
"In my weird politically incorrect hypothetically incoherent contradicting obscured world definitively maybe"
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

I don't think Coca-Cola would go for the bottle, as their bottle is synonymous with their drink.

However, I think they should take a step in this direction as it would make a huge shout out to other companies to follow suit. Therefore signalling intent for the environment too.
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Tel wrote:I don't think Coca-Cola would go for the bottle, as their bottle is synonymous with their drink.

However, I think they should take a step in this direction as it would make a huge shout out to other companies to follow suit. Therefore signalling intent for the environment too.
I agree. Coke's success is also its curse. The square bottles are cool, but I think he should go for a hybrid, maybe the square bottle with a waist...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

Tel wrote:I don't think Coca-Cola would go for the bottle, as their bottle is synonymous with their drink.

So true, if you watch their adds carefully, they've even patented the "Dynamic Ribbon Device" - that being said this would be great
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Molean

Post by Molean »

You shouldn't drink coke....it's bad for you....*chortle*
i7 2600K|Zalman CNPS9900Max Red|8GB Corsair Vengance|Asus Maximus Gene-Z|MSI GTX660Ti PE OC|
|OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD|SG: 1.5TB+2TB+3TB|Samsung 2494HS|CM 850W Pro Silent PSU|CM690II
Prime

Post by Prime »

the pink wizard wrote:

:roll: And I smell a troll!

To the first part, I happen to know some very senior people at Coca Cola South Africa. This comes directly from them.

To the second, its basic fluid mechanics and material science. Go inflate a square container and see how it deforms. Better yet, hook it up to a compressor! :| do you really think they would make gas bottles cylindrical if there wasn't an engineering reason for not having corners on pressure vessels? I also happen to know how they make coke bottles from blanks using vacuum and blow moulding and square bottle blanks would be far more costly to make and process.

Now take your stench somewhere else! :|
capanno

Post by capanno »

Prime wrote: :roll: And I smell a troll
He's not a troll. He's just always grumpy. :lol: :lol:
Josh Dies is my hero! |50,000,601.375 forum points
Prime

Post by Prime »

capanno wrote:
Prime wrote: :roll: And I smell a troll
You could have fooled me; there is always a bad smell wafting over to the knights realm when Wiz is home... :P
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Looking at the pic in the OP....
They've got some balls putting the phrase "nutritional facts" on a Coke bottle.
The only nutritional fact about Coke is that it has no nutritional value.
Unless you can place nutritional value on a rediculace amount of refined sugar, acid that can melt your flesh, bones and teeth, and gas that bloats your digestive tract.

I love it and don't car what it comes packaged in - as long as it is not bio-degradable and will ruin the earth for all of your children, I'm happy.
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

Prime wrote:
the pink wizard wrote:

:roll: And I smell a troll!

To the first part, I happen to know some very senior people at Coca Cola South Africa. This comes directly from them.

To the second, its basic fluid mechanics and material science. Go inflate a square container and see how it deforms. Better yet, hook it up to a compressor! :| do you really think they would make gas bottles cylindrical if there wasn't an engineering reason for not having corners on pressure vessels? I also happen to know how they make coke bottles from blanks using vacuum and blow moulding and square bottle blanks would be far more costly to make and process.

Now take your stench somewhere else! :|
Troll...um....er....where? Who,me?

Oh so you "just" happen to know some people VERY "senior" @ coke.Well since you have senior people at coke which bottling plants do they run?(Trick question) My brother is "the" plant chemist at a bottling plant in Gauteng.....yet neither my brother or your high and mighty friends had any thing to do with the bottle design, coke South Africa on south african based design maybe.Their job is simple bottle and promote the product leave the headaches to the big bosses in the US.

However for interest sake bottle design can and may differ from which part of the world you find your self in.....So the odds that the same design will be used in another Country is pretty good depending on what else is available on the market competing for dominance.The design can also depend on what the infrastructure is like.
do you really think they would make gas bottles cylindrical if there wasn't an engineering reason for not having corners on pressure vessels?
Do you really think I did not know that.....But some common sense tells me differently, ever wondered what would happen if you increase the thickness of the glass proportional to the pressure mhmmh? That is a big oops on your part? Technically speaking as required per product safety law there is a minimum required thickness that is required for a product which usually entails the product to be dropped from a certain height where it must still be intact or break in a specific way other test are done as well.So generally the product design can withstand more than the rated pressure.You can still have a square design with a round inside which would still be the same however because you have a rounded inside the outside corners would be thicker.So either way it can be done.

On manufacturing of a square design is not extremely hard or impossible in fact square designs have been taking place for many years now and being mass produced 50 million square glass containers can't be wrong.... So it is as simple as making a capable machine to do it for you which is a expensive undertaking meaning down time as well which means losses...

Over all a square design does not mean 4 corners the more corners that are added the more pressure it will be able to withstand.Since plastic is a solid but pliable material a square plastic design will not matter as much as with glass.However the plastic will be deformed with using 4 corners so 6 to 8 corner design will less likely suffer from severe deformity as well as being easier to handle.

With a good mold design and proper R&D any shape or size can be achieved without much hassle technology has a funny way of proving people wrong .The coke bottle design is prove of this over the years as technology and understanding has improved over the years....

To end my troll,his design may need some altercations better suited to handle pressure...For one the bottom which I did not clearly see or noticed, a oval indented design will be require for plastic and glass to a lesser extent to allow better handling of downward pressure and deformity on plastic....
Wait ! What Grumpy? No naive people irritate to the point of grievous bodily harm figuratively speaking, no use getting excited about some one on the other side of the screen but a smack upside the head every now and then might do some people good....before riding off blinding into the sunset again on a dead horse.....
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

rustypup

Post by rustypup »

wizardofid wrote:his design may need some altercations better suited to handle pressure
:lol: funniest snippet yet...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
wizardofid

Post by wizardofid »

rustypup wrote:
wizardofid wrote:his design may need some altercations better suited to handle pressure
:lol: funniest snippet yet...
hardy har ha ha :lol: