Fridge repairs in Jhb - Any recommendations

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
SilverBack

Fridge repairs in Jhb - Any recommendations

Post by SilverBack »

Hiya everyone,

Have any of you guys got some recommendations for fridge repairs? So worried about dodgy people/companies after watching that Carte Blanche episode on that dodgy Electrician. Really dont wanna be ripped a new one. So hoping someone can recommend a good person/company?

Cheers :wink:
SB
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.
Hire A Programmer -|- Just Source Code Blog
Prime

Re: Fridge repairs in Jhb - Any recommendations

Post by Prime »

There is a place in linden, the owner is Mr nel, but I can't for the life of me remember what his business is called. He does a decent job.
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Ok, thanks. Please can you try get the details...thats just up the road from us?

Called North Fridge http://www.fridgerepair.co.za/index.html, they said a guy was gonna pitch up at 11:00...still waiting...and Im not getting a lekker feeling from these guys which has me a little concerned :(
PureFire

Post by PureFire »

where in jhb are you based?
my uncle does fridge repair, he also has the contracts for pick n pay's and the like to do their fridges.
he's based in birch acres, kempton park.

"KEP COOL"
HOT & COLD FOOD EQUIPMENT
JOE 0829014920 OR (011) 393-5930
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

In the Cresta area. Ok kewl, thanks.

The guy called me about 1 hr ago...said the one tech had a problem to get to us at 11:00, so someone else is coming at 15:00. R200 call out....eish....what happened to free quote....guess its not technically "free"...cos you gotta pay for the guy to come to you? Kinda sucks...cos it makes it difficult to get different quotes together when you have to pay each time to get a quote....well, technically you do...
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Thought I would give these North Fridge guys a try. For those interested, and for future searches...I will post results here and costs etc. Im sure some people will find it useful.

We have 2 fridges that needed repair:

1. Defy - Top fridge, bottom freezer. Maid used a knife to chip ice away in back plate of fridge and so put a hole in the plate. Gas leaks from there. I knew what the problem was, wanted to check if these guys would give a BS story. He was spot on with the cause.

2. Whirlpool - Top fridge, bottom freezer. This fridge had a gas leak problem (we think). First issues occurred when we moved house and the guys carried it horizontally. Every since then it just didn't work as it did before. Took it to get re-gassed at some appliance shop up the road. Worked a week or 2...then died. North Fridge have said there is a blockage in the fridge gas system and the blockage needs to be cleared and re-gassed. He also said it was not re-gassed properly the last time (he thinks) which is adding to the problem. I assume the blockage occurred when the guys carried it horizontally during the house move and the liquid in the system travelled up and caused a blockage?

So, he has quoted us R870+R100 to re-gas and fix the Defy, plus R870 to re-gas and remove the blockage of the Whirlpool. A bit pricey I think, but better than forking our R6k for 2 new fridges. Hopefully this works, and they mentioned something about a guarantee. Will make sure to get it in writing.

I will post here again after the work is done to keep you guys posted and let you know what the service was like. So far so good! ;)
Prime

Post by Prime »

When they tipped it, oil probably travelled up the high pressure line and blocked it. If you carry a fridge, you are supposed to let it stand for 30 minutes before you plug it in.

Just make sure they regas it with the correct gas or in the case of freon 12, the correct replacement. I'll get the name for the place in Linden when I get home.
SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Prime wrote:When they tipped it, oil probably travelled up the high pressure line and blocked it. If you carry a fridge, you are supposed to let it stand for 30 minutes before you plug it in.

Just make sure they regas it with the correct gas or in the case of freon 12, the correct replacement. I'll get the name for the place in Linden when I get home.
Thanks for the details about the re-gas! Will keep it in mind ;)
Prime

Post by Prime »

SilverBack

Post by SilverBack »

Prime wrote:As promised:

JD Nel refrigeration

http://www.hotfrog.co.za/Companies/J-D- ... rigeration

:D
Kewl, thanks Prime. Hopefully this thread will be useful to others ;)

Ok, so the latest on the repair. The guy arrived in the AM today, fixed both fridges in an hour. Both seem to still be fine. The guy was quick, efficient and knew exactly what he was doing (so it seems - coming from a non fridge expert :P ). He confirmed it was a blockage on the Whirlpool and fixed that up.

They give a 3 month guarantee on their work. Not much...but still better than any other people I have dealt with. First time I have gotten a guarantee on work done for the fridges. So Im happy. :D

Will let you know if we run into any more problems later on or if there are issues with quality of work etc :wink: