National carrier offline as flysaa.com website suspended

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

National carrier offline as flysaa.com website suspended

Post by Stuart »

Tech Central wrote:It appears that state-owned airline, SA Airways, forgot to renew its Internet domain, flysaa.com. The domain was suspended at the weekend pending payment by the national carrier.

It was not immediately clear how long the website was offline, but Web users visiting flysaa.com on Sunday morning were greeted with a message from domain registration company Network Solutions stating that “flysaa.com expired on 17 January 2010 and is pending renewal or deletion”.

The service appeared to have been restored by midday on Sunday, though many Web users were still saying they could not access the site. This could mean that the service was back online, but the domain name system servers, which map human-readable Web addresses to machine-readable Internet Protocol numbers, still needed to refresh.

Investigation by TechCentral on Sunday suggested SAA wasn’t directly to blame for the downtime. Rather, a company called In The Net Technologies, based in Randpark Ridge, north-west of Johannesburg, appeared to be responsible for maintaining the flysaa.com domain on the airline’s behalf.

Flysaa.com, with its online ticketing system, is integral to the carrier’s business. The website downtime could have cost it millions of rand in lost revenue.

According to Arthur Goldstuck, MD of research firm World Wide Worx, flysaa.com is probably the country’s biggest e-commerce website. “SAA carries about 6,5m passengers a year, with an average ticket price of about R2 000,” he said. “A conservative estimate suggests at least 25% of these tickets are booked online, which would amount to around 2,1m tickets at an average of R2 000 each, amounting to R4,2bn/year, or roughly R11,5m a day (at least). That’s a fairly expensive day for a [domain renewal] that should only have cost around US$10.”

SAA spokesman Vimla Maistry declined to comment and said the airline was drafting a statement to explain the downtime on the website.
Oops! :lol:
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: National carrier offline as flysaa.com website suspended

Post by Ron2K »

What a bunch of noobs! :lol:
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Remember kids, if its important then write it in your diary.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

lol, this is banana republic material... :lol:
ADT

Post by ADT »

Typical for African Run Countries...
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
Mykhal

Post by Mykhal »

anybody actualy surprized?

good advertisement with the World Cup and all...
Dual Core E2140@1.6GHz, 2 Gig Ram, 500 Gig Samsung HD, 80 Gig Maxtor, Geforce 7300se :oops:
Thanx Ama :notworthy:
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

Well I am certainly surprised!
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

Slightly On Topic.. SAA / Mango / Banana Airways, have decided to have tickets from JHB to CT for R3400 during the. 2010 world cup
What a RIPOFF
A friend is flying to Australia.. one way during that time costs as much as a return flight.. and coming back is 14K ??!!
Temporary Absence
Knuckles
Processor: Intel Core i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Motherboard: Gagabyte Z170-Gaming K3-CF
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Knuckles »

Just so you all know this wasn't directly SAA's fault, it was the company that has the contract for their website that failed to renew the domain. But SAA do need to take ownership of this problem and I was a bit disappointed with the letter on their website outlining how it had nothing to do with them. I guess they're trying to do the least damage to their reputation as they can...
Knuckles
Processor: Intel Core i5-6500 CPU @ 3.20GHz
Motherboard: Gagabyte Z170-Gaming K3-CF
Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Knuckles »

Anthro wrote:Slightly On Topic.. SAA / Mango / Banana Airways, have decided to have tickets from JHB to CT for R3400 during the. 2010 world cup
What a RIPOFF
A friend is flying to Australia.. one way during that time costs as much as a return flight.. and coming back is 14K ??!!
You'll find that all the other carriers will have unreasonable prices too!
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Knuckles wrote:Just so you all know this wasn't directly SAA's fault, it was the company that has the contract for their website that failed to renew the domain.
Which is why the OP said ...
Investigation by TechCentral on Sunday suggested SAA wasn’t directly to blame for the downtime. Rather, a company called In The Net Technologies, based in Randpark Ridge, north-west of Johannesburg, appeared to be responsible for maintaining the flysaa.com domain on the airline’s behalf.