Birth Control Pills: Abortive or Contraceptive?

Formerly known as "The Ward" -- now Anakha56 and rustypup's playground. Abandon all hope, all ye who enter.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
jee

Re: Birth Control Pills: Abortive or Contraceptive?

Post by jee »

It certainly brings up a rather startling moral dilemma, one that has nothing to to with Christianity, and all to do with choice.

I know that we do not want to go into the abortion/pro-life issue here, but i see a social issue here, one that Tribbs has touched on.
If it is true that certain BCP's are responsible for taking a life, what about other methods, like the injection? and other methods? Is there any safe way to control unwanted pregnancies? (other than a disprin between your knees ;)
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

It is interesting. I haven't really checked statistics, but I would think that BCPs are probably the most popular form of birth control worldwide. It would make sense, because BCPs can be controlled by the woman, who normally (I would think) would be the more concerned of the two parties when it comes to unplanned pregnancies. If this does raise a genuine concern for prolifers (religious or not), I'd be interested to see what other female-controlled forms of birth control are available and can be used.
jee

Post by jee »

i still want to know why Solomon had so little children.

But i will admit, you brought up a sticky topic, just the thought that i might have killed any of the babies i so craved for, it hurts like hell.
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
jee

Post by jee »

an interesting time line of birth control, starting with the practice coitus interruptus,

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/pill/timeline/index.html
Moses

Post by Moses »

but I would think that BCPs are probably the most popular form of birth control worldwide.
It's very unpopular in Korea, despite being available over the counter for the same price as a big mac. There is still a big taboo against birth control in Korea, and I suspect the same is true in other Asian countries. I know there was big opposition in Japan, mainly based on health safety issues.

Perhaps it would be fairer to say it's the most popular form of birth control in western society.