Comics Galore Outshined by Cosby

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Comics Galore Outshined by Cosby

Post by Stuart »

Studio Briefing wrote:A host of veteran comedians, including Jerry Seinfeld, Chris Rock, Carl Reiner, Sinbad, and willy Gregory, paid tribute to Bill Cosby as he received the 12th annual Mark Twain Prize for American Humor at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington DC Monday night.

And while each of them drew laughter from the audience, they were all upstaged by clips from Cosby's TV appearances over nearly a half-century. Even a routine featuring Seinfeld and Rock together fell flat, with Seinfeld acknowledging the fact by remarking that everyone in the audience was probably thinking, "I thought these two guys would be funny together," and Rock rejoining, "But we're not."

All of the comics told how they had listened to Cosby's comedy albums as children and how they were influenced by them. All, that is, except 87-year-old Carl Reiner, himself a former Twain Prize recipient, who recalled how his then 16-year-old son Rob had excitedly told him about a Cosby appearance on the Tonight show.

Later, Reiner related, he described Rob's excitement to Sheldon Leonard, who was producing The willy Van Dyke Show, in which Reiner was a regular, and who was then casting a new series called I Spy, about a couple of tennis-playing secret agents. "Why couldn't one of them be black?" he remembered Leonard remarking, thus setting the stage for Cosby's eventual TV stardom.

Accepting his award, Cosby reminisced about his early career, and finally referred to one of the TV clips shown earlier in the evening in which Jack Benny, arguably the premiere comedian of the 20th century, was reduced to helpless laughter watching a Cosby monologue during their joint appearance on a late-night talk show. "I'm especially happy that you saw Jack Benny fall out of that chair," he concluded.
rustypup

Re: Comics Galore Outshined by Cosby

Post by rustypup »

[GN]
:/... are we entirely happy with the "outshined"... i yield back the offering that "outshone" might be more appropriate... although, given that the sentence is already frought with grammatical horrors too many to mention, perhaps we should stop prodding it :P
[/GN]

the cosby show was responsible for some heinous crimes against humour... :/
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote:[GN]
:/... are we entirely happy with the "outshined"... i yield back the offering that "outshone" might be more appropriate... although, given that the sentence is already frought with grammatical horrors too many to mention, perhaps we should stop prodding it :P
[/GN]
'Twas a CTRL+C, CTRL+V, k?
rustypup wrote:the cosby show was responsible for some heinous crimes against humour... :/
Aw, c'mon, Cosby is funny. Admittedly, probably a little funnier in some of his stand up routines than on that show, but I've lol'd at him a number of times.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Cosby is a legend! Some seriously good humour in his standup routines...
STIR

Post by STIR »

rustypup wrote:[GN]
[/GN]

the cosby show was responsible for some heinous crimes against humour... :/

are we entirely happy with frought?? :)
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

:lol: not in a topic title, no... <is sorely tempted to enable spell checking...>
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

He's no Richard Pryor.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator