So you have a plane and a conveyor belt....Does it take off?

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Prime

Re: So you have a plane and a conveyor belt....Does it take off?

Post by Prime »

Here's a better explanation and why the wiki article is in my mind, dodgy:

Imagine you have a ball on a piece of string and you spin it around. That ball is always trying to travel outwards along the path r or -r. This is centripetal force. This is what stops the ball from say, flying towards the centre.HMMM, that could be interesting

The only thing preventing your ball from flying of in the r or -r direction is the tension in the string.

Forcecentripetal - T = 0.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Prime wrote:There is no such thing as centrifugal force. Its centripetal acceleration.

kthxbaai.
Prime wrote:Here's a better explanation and why the wiki article is in my mind, dodgy:

Imagine you have a ball on a piece of string and you spin it around. That ball is always trying to travel outwards along the path r or -r. This is centripetal force. This is what stops the ball from say, flying towards the centre.HMMM, that could be interesting

The only thing preventing your ball from flying of in the r or -r direction is the tension in the string.

So.
What you're syaing is that, that which we call centrifugal force is actually centripetal acceleration?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Prime

Post by Prime »

doo_much wrote:
Prime wrote:There is no such thing as centrifugal force. Its centripetal acceleration.

kthxbaai.
Prime wrote:Here's a better explanation and why the wiki article is in my mind, dodgy:

So.
What you're syaing is that, that which we call centrifugal force is actually centripetal acceleration?
in effect yes.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Prime wrote:
doo_much wrote:
So.
in effect yes.
So all that baloney and cr*p (sorry - math) wasn't really neccessary?

Go figure.

Soooo - Does the chopper take off?

Yes or No are acceptable answers. :wink:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

rustypup wrote:helicopter on turntable or:
relevant neo-nazi image here
:x
Luv turning your propeller the wrong way.. hehehe
STIR

Post by STIR »

Centrifugal force can be quite tricky (I know quite a few good engineers that still dont grasp it fully).....its not a real force, although it acts like one and can be used as one in calculations.

If you swing a stone on the end of a rope the real force is not what its trying to pull the rope out of your hand, but rather what is constantly changing the direction of the stone to force it in a circular pattern. This is called centripetal force which can be thought of as a 'pushing' force on the stone (although it is actually a pulling force in the rope) that constantly nudges the stone towards your hand so that it follows a circular path – (for most calculation purposes they are the same thing).

But anyway, to answer the helicopter on a turntable question:

If the helicopter has a perfect pilot that will be able to counter all centrifugal/centripetal forces and keep the helicopter on the turntable until take off then the model can be simplified to a ball sitting on a turntable with a rotor attached to it:

The ball could rotate at the same speed as the turntable or faster or slower, or it could even stand still, it doesn't matter, as soon as the rotors reach enough speed to supply sufficient uplift to overcome the weight of the ball/helicopter it will lift off.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

What if the turn table is turning the other direction at the the same RPM of the helo's rotors? The rotors would be seen as standing still, so no air would be flowing over them. i think my reasoning is correct
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
STIR

Post by STIR »

Monty wrote:What if the turn table is turning the other direction at the the same RPM of the helo's rotors? The rotors would be seen as standing still, so no air would be flowing over them. i think my reasoning is correct
I like your thinking but the rotors will only appear stationary if you viewed them while standing on the turn table. Relative to the air around the rotors, they will still be doing the required rpm for lift off.
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

Helicopter on a turn-table is an interesting one...

If the table turns the copter's body then no, it won't take off.
However, if there is a similar situation like the aeroplane (with the wheels spinning etc.), then logic tells me that yes it will take off.
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

DarkStar wrote:Helicopter on a turn-table is an interesting one...

If the table turns the copter's body then no, it won't take off.
However, if there is a similar situation like the aeroplane (with the wheels spinning etc.), then logic tells me that yes it will take off.
Don't agree. The blades will have their interaction with the air around, thus creating lift, no matter what the body does.
DarkStar

Post by DarkStar »

I should have added that the turn-table will turn the body in the opposite direction, and at the same speed as the blades are spinning.

It would effectively be like holding the blades and letting the body spin freely.
If I can't find a friendship problem...I'll make a friendship problem!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxo1qlk6gEI