Agriculture Minister Gets R800K Merc

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Agriculture Minister Gets R800K Merc

Post by Stuart »

Politicsweb wrote:The Democratic Alliance (DA) is calling for national government to give urgent consideration to austerity proposals that have already been adopted in the Western Cape, after it emerged in a reply to a parliamentary question that the Department of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries has spent R800,000 on a luxury 2009 Mercedes-Benz for its minister.

The vehicle cost just over R780,000, while additional extras - a black wooden leather steering wheel and rear window sunblinds - bring the total cost of the vehicle to R796,003.00.

This vehicle cost just R13,500 less than Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga's Range Rover Sport, and is in a price bracket that the DA believes is excessive, particularly given the severity of the economic downturn and the promises by President Zuma, Finance Minister Gordhan and others to tone down government excess and cut wasteful spending.

Indeed, this kind of expenditure stands in stark contrast with President Zuma's statement during his State of the Nation address that "every cent must be spent wisely and fruitfully".

It remains unclear from the parliamentary reply whether Minister Joemat-Pettersson will be purchasing a second vehicle, or whether this will be transferred from another department. If, however, the Minister intends to purchase a second vehicle, the DA would urge her to consider demonstrating far greater empathy for the plight of ordinary South Africans during these difficult economic times.

The following table shows how four government departments have already spent more than R6-million on new vehicles for their ministers. Only Finance Minister Gordhan's vehicles fall within the range -- albeit near the upper limit -- that would be acceptable if DA austerity proposals were to be implemented nationally.
:shock:

There's a table at the link with the cost of various vehicles for ministers.
Sojourn

Re: Agriculture Minister Gets R800K Merc

Post by Sojourn »

This sickens me..... truly.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

As ridiculous as this is, are any of you actually SURPRISED? We all knew this would happen...
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Not surprised. Just ... irritated.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:As ridiculous as this is, are any of you actually SURPRISED? We all knew this would happen...
No. Which is even sadder.

I just heard on Talk Radio 702 that one of the ministers got to spend R2million for his car budget :shock: :shock: :shock: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Herzlich willkommen in Südafrika! :lol:
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

And in related news...
Buanews wrote:Pretoria – A Ministerial Task Team, established to look into government expenditure in the context of the current economic meltdown, will also look into the purchase of vehicles by Political Office Bearers.
The Task Team, comprising the Minister of Finance Pravin Gordhan, Minister for Performance Management and Evaluation in The Presidency Collins Chabane and Minister of Public Service and Administration Richard Baloyi , will advise Cabinet on how matters of this nature can be handled.
The work of the task team forms part of the comprehensive expenditure review that government announced a few weeks ago, Minister for Performance, Monitoring and Evaluation in the Presidency, Collins Chabane said on Thursday, following an ordinary meeting of Cabinet.
It will advise Cabinet on how best they can curb government spending in the current economic climate.
“The team will look into what is it that that we [Cabinet] need to stretch on in this current crisis and what is that the we need to spend on as priority and those issues will be determined in the next cabinet meeting once the cabinet explores all possibilities and what they think as cabinet needs to be corrected.”
Cabinet ministers and their car allowances have come under the spotlight recently.
According to Mr Chabane, the ministers, who media reports said had made lavish purchases on vehicles, had not acted unlawfully and had not broken any rules.
“The Political Office Bearers have not broken any rules and are not at fault for following the rules. The official vehicles, which belong to the state, have been acquired for them by their departments in strict compliance with the regulations as contained in the Ministerial handbook,” explained Mr Chabane.
According to the handbook, the state should provide Political Office Bearers with vehicles in Cape Town and Pretoria. The price of the vehicles must not be greater than 70% of the member’s annual salary.
“It should be noted that the re-basing of the salary packages of Ministers, Deputy Ministers, MP’s and MPL’s – developed by the Moseneke Commission and adopted (earlier this year) – has affected the categories of cars that all these political leaders can acquire,” Mr Chabane said.
In most instances, the state sources the vehicles from service providers on a full maintenance lease and the vehicles are used at a pre-determined rate. This rate includes financing of the vehicle, insurance, extras and maintenance costs. Once the contract expires, at 120 000 km or five years, the service provider is responsible for the disposal of the vehicle and carries the risk for any losses.
“Thus, the state receives the benefit of flexibility of choice of vehicle in terms of acquisition and disposal of these official vehicles,” Mr Chabane said.
However, he said, recognising the sensitivity of this matter, the task team would look at how these matters can be handled within the current economic context. – BuaNews

By the way - shouldn't this be in the Banana Republic thread?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

doo_much wrote:By the way - shouldn't this be in the Banana Republic thread?
Erm ... possibly. I'm sure Katie or one of his cronies will merge it if necessary.
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

I rate we force them to use Tatas.
This is wrong if you think about how many areas need an injection of cash (Education,etc)
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

lol a 5mil injection into education won't do much. That is like giving each school like a 30k bonus :lol: once every three to five years
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:lol a 5mil injection into education won't do much. That is like giving each school like a 30k bonus :lol: once every three to five years
Yeah, and the European Union is not pumping 110 MILLION Euros into basic education in our country? Stop talking out of your bottom.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Zille rejects Merc for a cheaper car

Murray Williams
July 31 2009 at 11:42AM

Western Cape Premier Helen Zille has asked for a cheaper official car after discovering that her hired Mercedes-Benz is costing taxpayers R15 000 a month to hire.

This comes in the wake of revelations that three national cabinet ministers have bought super-luxury new cars worth R4,9-million between them - this despite President Jacob Zuma's promise to trim the fat on government spending, especially during the global economic crisis.

Shortly after taking office, Zille's provincial cabinet unanimously agreed not to buy luxury new cars - despite being permitted to under current government guidelines.

Instead, Zille reluctantly accepted a Mercedes from the government garage - a relatively modest second-hand E200 model, which the government garage provided.

Zille's spokesperson Robert Macdonald said yesterday that Zille has now requested a more fuel-efficient model after also learning that the Mercedes is not owned by the government garage, but is being hired.

Newly-elected Mayor of the Winelands District Municipality, Badih Chaaban, yesterday offered surprise support for Zille's "austerity" measures.

"Yes, I will take Zille's lead. We will not be buying a new mayoral vehicle," Chaaban, who is not a DA member, said.

He said he was driven in a second-hand Mercedes ML320, which would not be replaced.

"But I like to drive, so most of the time I'm in my own car."

He said he and senior council leaders would only fly in economy class, and stay in four-star, not five-star, hotels.

"We're not in the habit of lavish spending," he said.

The City of Cape Town has confirmed that Mayor Dan Plato has chosen to retain the modest Toyota Prius he inherited from Zille. The DA wants government ministers to be restricted to vehicles valued at 50 percent of their salaries.

"Should a member wish to buy a more expensive car, he or she should use their salary to pay for it," the DA said.

Zille, however,believes even leaner rules should be put in place. Responding to written questions from the Cape Argus, she said ministers should only be entitled to "the cost of a modest, environmentally friendly vehicle".

Asked whether ministers required "status" vehicles, she replied: "What have cars got to do with status? This perception is part of the problem. One needs safety, reliability and comfort in a car - not status. A decent car helps one work while travelling, so it adds value in this way, but status should not enter into it."

Communications Minister Siphiwe Nyanda recently ordered two BMW 750is, together valued at R2 420 400, and Basic Education Minister Angie Motshekga ordered a BMW and a Range Rover together costing R1 705 092.

Ministers' lavish car allowances will be reconsidered as a part of a review of government spending, Minister in the Presidency Collins Chabane said yesterday.

Briefing the media after the fortnightly cabinet meeting, Chabane said a task team consisting of himself, Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan and Minister of Public Service and Administration Richard Baloyi would "advise Cabinet on how matters of this nature can be handled".

Source
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Ashley_Pops

Post by Ashley_Pops »

You know, its not really the size of the budget that really bothers me in this situation, its more the fact that there is a budget at all. Working for the government officially makes you a public servant, which when it comes right down to it means that they work for us. Yet when I want to buy a car I don't have a fancy budget at my disposal, I'd have to go and beg at the bank and then work my bottom off paying them back.

Sigh, so annoying...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

The City of Cape Town has confirmed that Mayor Dan Plato has chosen to retain the modest Toyota Prius he inherited from Zille.
DJT is the Cape Town mayor? :shock: