So I forced a cop off the road Friday morning...

Formerly known as "The Ward" -- now Anakha56 and rustypup's playground. Abandon all hope, all ye who enter.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Sojourn

Re: So I forced a cop off the road Friday morning...

Post by Sojourn »

SykomantiS wrote:Someone once said 'Why don't we just take the warnings labels off and let stupidity sort itself out' :roll:

It's guys like that in the police veichle do stupid thing and don't worry about consequences. About a year and a half ago a metro police woman almost killed my sister on her bike, because se didn't think about what she was doing.

If he has to eat grass in order to realise he's being an @-hole then so be it.
...and dropping from 120 down to 60 in a flash is NOT, as you put it - "doing a stupid thing and not worried about consequences". ?
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

It probably is, and I'm biased, but (almost) losing family over it does not put metro in a good light in my books. Not in the least. And it's not just metro- it's law enforcement in general.

Somewhere else in here was a thread about people having to stop moaning about law enforcement performance- on which I agree- they do a service and we don't really have any idea how rough it is. But it's individual cases like these that give law enforcement in general a bad name. It's apity that these individual cases happen so often in so many places :roll:

A position of authority doesn't give them the right to do as they please, certainly not at the cost of others.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

SykomantiS, true but it still does not mean that we have to pick up their shackles and do as they do. If we start behaving irresponsibly are we any better than them?
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

What proof does Ana really have that the unmarked car truly was from some law enforcement agency?
At the point of him doing what he did, he had no idea that it was "the law". It could have been a father on the way to some kid in hospital.

In most cases where two drivers are involved, one thinks he has more right to be where he is, drive at the speed he is or act the way he is doing at that time. He justfies it in some way to himself (be it plain juvenile mentality or an actual emergency). The other guy on the road then reacts to what he perceives as "arrogance" from the other driver - thus causing an accident.

If road users take to heart the principle of defensive driving, our roads will be a lot less hazardous.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Sojourn wrote:What proof does Ana really have that the unmarked car truly was from some law enforcement agency?
At the point of him doing what he did, he had no idea that it was "the law". It could have been a father on the way to some kid in hospital.

In most cases where two drivers are involved, one thinks he has more right to be where he is, drive at the speed he is or act the way he is doing at that time. He justfies it in some way to himself (be it plain juvenile mentality or an actual emergency). The other guy on the road then reacts to what he perceives as "arrogance" from the other driver - thus causing an accident.

If road users take to heart the principle of defensive driving, our roads will be a lot less hazardous.
2 Points: 1 - Eyewitness ;) 2 - When he pulled up behind and blinded me when I got back on the freeway and sped off again saw distinct police markings then ;).

Sojourn what ever happened to emergency lights? You know the orange blinky dudes? Use them not flashing your brights. I did when I rushed my g/f to hospital with a open head wound they do work ;).

Look I know it was a stupid move and will not be doing it again thats for sure. I take no offense to what you type out Sojourn its you opinion and you are entitled to it :).
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Anakha56 wrote:
Koko_Lion wrote:Anakha56, Were the lights flashing at you together or in that modified cop car style?
Together not modified cop style. Hell if he had his emergency lights on I would have been fine with passing but flashing lights to me means nothing...
A lot of police cars, specially the dog box units are so neglected and abused from rural patrols and callouts that station commanders don't bother investing there budget in them to equip them properly. Although something as simple as a R20.00 "POLICE" sticker attached to the windshield could have helped a little. Did you see what station that car is from?
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Sojourn, you have some valid points there, and at the end of the day I guess both drivers were in the wrong. However, I stand by my original post- simply beacuse I've had too many close encounters (remember- bikes don't have airbags or seatbelts) and I'm tired of thinking for other people. I usually behave myself in the vicinity of other vehicles, but there times (more often than not) that I can totally understand Anakha's point of view.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Koko_Lion wrote:
Anakha56 wrote:
Koko_Lion wrote:Anakha56, Were the lights flashing at you together or in that modified cop car style?
Together not modified cop style. Hell if he had his emergency lights on I would have been fine with passing but flashing lights to me means nothing...
A lot of police cars, specially the dog box units are so neglected and abused from rural patrols and callouts that station commanders don't bother investing there budget in them to equip them properly. Although something as simple as a R20.00 "POLICE" sticker attached to the windshield could have helped a little. Did you see what station that car is from?
It was dark and the constant flashing in my rear view did not give me the light to see markings.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Anakha56 wrote:
Look I know it was a stupid move and will not be doing it again thats for sure.
REALLY glad to hear that :lol:
[OT]
SykomantiS wrote:Sojourn, you have some valid points there, and at the end of the day I guess both drivers were in the wrong. However, I stand by my original post- simply beacuse I've had too many close encounters (remember- bikes don't have airbags or seatbelts) and I'm tired of thinking for other people. I usually behave myself in the vicinity of other vehicles, but there times (more often than not) that I can totally understand Anakha's point of view.
I got my first 'bike' all of 25 years ago. Honda MB5. In retrospect a piece of sh*t but my pride and joy at the time.
My dad allowed me to buy it on two conditions:
  1. Alway drive with headlights on. It wasn't law back then, and
    Always think for the other guy - he doesn't see you even if he looks AT you.
[/OT]
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Point I want to make is to rather back-off and stand aside and let the braindead road users pass.
This way you keep yourself and other possible neaby innocents out of the road statistics.
Don't be sucked into a state of (un)justified retribution. It's not worth it.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

doo_much wrote:
Yup, like my dad said, imagine everyone on the road is a lunatic.

Anakha, dude, my friend pulls that stunt all the time, to teach people a lesson. 3 problems:

1. You ASSUME he is alert enough to react
2. You ASSUME if he does react that his reactions will be sensible
3. You ASSUME that if he is alert enough and know what he is doing that his vehicle is up to the task

Sounds like quite a house of cards to me.

GJ on avoiding catastrophe this time, but I rather not tempt fate too often ;)
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Tander

Post by Tander »

Anakha56, I do this all the time. Even when someone decides that it's their right to be on the road and cut me off, without saying sorry.

However, of late I have calmed down and let the idiots who want to be idiots, be idiots.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

doo_much wrote:
Anakha56 wrote:
Look I know it was a stupid move and will not be doing it again thats for sure.
REALLY glad to hear that :lol:
[OT]
SykomantiS wrote:Sojourn, you have some valid points there, and at the end of the day I guess both drivers were in the wrong. However, I stand by my original post- simply beacuse I've had too many close encounters (remember- bikes don't have airbags or seatbelts) and I'm tired of thinking for other people. I usually behave myself in the vicinity of other vehicles, but there times (more often than not) that I can totally understand Anakha's point of view.
I got my first 'bike' all of 25 years ago. Honda MB5. In retrospect a piece of sh*t but my pride and joy at the time.
My dad allowed me to buy it on two conditions:
[/OT]
My dad told me those exact same things. And when on the bike I do think for other people. My point is that I shouldn't have to. That is the sad part.

He also told you get two types of bikers, those who have fallen, and those who are stil going to... I hated that...