Creation & Evolution OFFICIAL DEBATE

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Creation & Evolution OFFICIAL DEBATE

Post by Tribble »

Screeper, oh that is good. Laughed so hard. :lol:
qwiksilva666

Post by qwiksilva666 »

Sir David Attenborough documentary 'reveals missing link in human evolution'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/tvan ... ution.html

http://www.history.com/content/this-changes-everything
~~*Head of the Druidic Council of the Pride of Darkness*~~
AMD PhenomII X4 955
M4N98TD-EVO
ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP
8GB Corsair XMS
Antec TP 750W
Zana

Post by Zana »

SykomantiS wrote:
Zana wrote:
<snip>

SCIENTISTS FROM ANOTHER PLANET CREATED ALL LIFE ON EARTH AND HUMAN BEINGS "IN THEIR OWN IMAGE."

<snip>
OK, so who created them? Or how did they come to be?
Other beings, in a chain of infinity :-) :love1:
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com
jee

Post by jee »

*sigh*
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

jee wrote:*sigh*
My thoughts exactly. But I have to ask, who created the first creatures who started the chain reaction... And don't tell me infinity.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

SykomantiS wrote:don't tell me infinity.
"don't tell me random chance", "don't tell me satan", "don't tell me xenu"... :roll:

if you don't want the answer, don't ask the question... if you want the answer, or some hilarious facsimile of it, read the thread from the beginning... the question is neither original nor interesting, especially given that the answer isn't going to change every time someone exhumes it...

capanno may be pushing his own agenda, but at least he's read something on the topic :/ ... simply resetting the entire discussion at this point can, and should, be treated with contempt..
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Prime

Post by Prime »

Your objective is simple: Soul Accumulation.

Your motive is a little bit more complex: Sadistic pleasure

Stage One

To begin your plan, you must first incinerate a pope. This will cause the world to sense a grave disturbance in the force, horrified by your arrival. Who is this unholy menace? Where did they come from? And why do they look so good wearing the skin of another human?

Stage Two

Next, you must desecrate the town's water supply. This will all be done from a hell, a mysterious place of unrivaled dark glory. Upon seeing this, the world will spontaneously combust, as countless hordes of the undead hasten to do your every bidding.

Stage Three

Finally, you must send forth your unholy weapon, bringing about an unending cacophony of screams. Your name shall become synonymous with dear god no, and no man will ever again dare interrupt your sentences. Everyone will bow before your mind-boggling insanity, and the world will have no choice but to make you their new god.
:maniacallaughter:
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

rustypup wrote:
SykomantiS wrote:don't tell me infinity.
"don't tell me random chance", "don't tell me satan", "don't tell me xenu"... :roll:

if you don't want the answer, don't ask the question... if you want the answer, or some hilarious facsimile of it, read the thread from the beginning... the question is neither original nor interesting, especially given that the answer isn't going to change every time someone exhumes it...

capanno may be pushing his own agenda, but at least he's read something on the topic :/ ... simply resetting the entire discussion at this point can, and should, be treated with contempt..
I was being sarcastic :roll:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

SykomantiS wrote:I was being sarcastic
this is not immediately apparent from your post, nor am i sure as to who/what the comments would then be directed at... your repeated question still implies "life without devine intervention is non-sensical"....

or am i being particularly dense :|
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

SARCHASM:
The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the reader who doesn't get it.

I'm Christian. That's my belief system. Hence the sarcasm.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

SykomantiS wrote:I'm Christian. That's my belief system. Hence the sarcasm.
then my original comment stands. your dogmatic stance not withstanding, your point was rebuked before you made it... so, either you were attempting to add nothing to the conversation, or you were polluting the thread with graffiti...

and for future reference, you don' get to demand an answer whilst also demanding that it be exactly the sort of answer you want to hear... that's not how this works :wink:
jee

Post by jee »

SykomantiS wrote: But I have to ask, who created the first creatures who started the chain reaction... And don't tell me infinity.
OK, you asked for it.

You see, first there was this primordial dark soup that existed in both time and space. It came into existence through a puzzling happening, but none of the documentation survived, and therefore its difficult to explain in terms of squiggles on paper (or pixels on a monitor, if you want to be pedantic). There are those who believe that matter, energy, space and time were all converged in a small pin head, and because the space was too small, it expanded with a bang (and have been expanding and evolving ever since, because all four are greedy and want to be bigger than the next.) and all this energy sort of slowed down. This does not explain parallel universes, but that is a post all on its own. There are off course, those who believes that nothing caused the universe to start but it happened anyway ( I think these people must be family of Murphy). I am not sure if infinity could start anything - it might however be instrumental in the expanding bit. I will leave that part ( and the existence of singularities), to the cosmologists, who, at this point in time, cannot come to one conclusion, so the debates are spectacular. [The problem with cosmologists is that they skip spirituality and rather keep worrying about the matter in a highly excited state that seems to have formed the Universe instead of having a highly exited state themselves.]

Now, to get back to this slimy dark soup (or, as scientists need to call it, dark energy) that slowed down and was all over the place - if you leave something like that for long enough, it will start to think. One might not wish to know the thoughts (and fortunately, the Mind cleverly forgotten some of those first slimy experiences). But any thought, if left to fester for a long time, will grow. It will duplicate, and triplicate, and add a tad or two to each addition, and starts to observe itself.

Then gravity happened.

The soup became a mass, the mass became conscience, and the Being-Who-Started The Rest-Of-The- Shenanigans came into being.

I will leave you there to mangle your way through the truth before I tell you about the Collective Conscience. (and seeing that i can still spell conscience means that i need another glass of wine :))
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

jee wrote:
SykomantiS wrote: But I have to ask, who created the first creatures who started the chain reaction... And don't tell me infinity.
OK, you asked for it.

You see, first there was this primordial dark soup that existed in both time and space. It came into existence through a puzzling happening, but none of the documentation survived, and therefore its difficult to explain in terms of squiggles on paper (or pixels on a monitor, if you want to be pedantic). There are those who believe that matter, energy, space and time were all converged in a small pin head, and because the space was too small, it expanded with a bang (and have been expanding and evolving ever since, because all four are greedy and want to be bigger than the next.) and all this energy sort of slowed down. This does not explain parallel universes, but that is a post all on its own. There are off course, those who believes that nothing caused the universe to start but it happened anyway ( I think these people must be family of Murphy). I am not sure if infinity could start anything - it might however be instrumental in the expanding bit. I will leave that part ( and the existence of singularities), to the cosmologists, who, at this point in time, cannot come to one conclusion, so the debates are spectacular. [The problem with cosmologists is that they skip spirituality and rather keep worrying about the matter in a highly excited state that seems to have formed the Universe instead of having a highly exited state themselves.]

Now, to get back to this slimy dark soup (or, as scientists need to call it, dark energy) that slowed down and was all over the place - if you leave something like that for long enough, it will start to think. One might not wish to know the thoughts (and fortunately, the Mind cleverly forgotten some of those first slimy experiences). But any thought, if left to fester for a long time, will grow. It will duplicate, and triplicate, and add a tad or two to each addition, and started to observe itself.

Then gravity happened.

The soup became a mass, the mass became conscience, and the Being-Who-Started The Rest-Of-The- Shenanigans came into being.

I will leave you there to mangle your way through the truth before I tell you about the Collective Conscience. (and seeing that i can still spell conscience means that i need another glass of wine :))
Why does the name Pratchett all of asudden come to mind?

If not - please enlighten me! :lol:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
jee

Post by jee »

Perhaps Pratchett found a abandoned manuscript?
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Or he reached a state of enlightenment hence unbeknownst to man.

And most woman as well?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Prime

Post by Prime »

jee, I disagree.
Bare Naked Ladies wrote: Our whole universe was in a hot dense state,
Then nearly fourteen billion years ago expansion started, wait...
The Earth began to cool,
The autotrophs began to drool,
Neanderthals developed tools,
We built a wall (we built the pyramids),
Math, science, history, unravelling the mysteries,
That all started with the big bang!

"Since the dawn of man" is really not that long,
As every galaxy was formed in less time than it takes to sing this song.
A fraction of a second and the elements were made.
The bipeds stood up straight,
The dinosaurs all met their fate,
They tried to leap but they were late
And they all died (they froze their asses off)
The oceans and pangea
See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya
Set in motion by the same big bang!

It all started with the big BANG!

It's expanding ever outward but one day
It will cause the stars to go the other way,
Collapsing ever inward, we won't be here, it won't be heard
Our best and brightest figure that it'll make an even bigger bang!

Australopithecus would really have been sick of us
Debating how we're here, they're catching deer (we're catching viruses)
Religion or astronomy, Encarta, Deuteronomy
It all started with the big bang!

Music and mythology, Einstein and astrology
It all started with the big bang!
It all started with the big BANG!
:mrgreen:

Or if your prefer
Douglas Adams wrote:In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
on a more serious note, i don't think you need to be spiritual. What scientific evidence is there for spirituality?
jee

Post by jee »

Prime wrote:[on a more serious note, i don't think you need to be spiritual. What scientific evidence is there for spirituality?
The fact that scientists leave out the spiritual part is the cause of all the disagreement. You cannot have the one without the other. Its like time and space. The one is empty without the other. Its like the creationist paleontologist..... :)
Prime

Post by Prime »

jee wrote:
Prime wrote:[on a more serious note, i don't think you need to be spiritual. What scientific evidence is there for spirituality?
The fact that scientists leave out the spiritual part is the cause of all the disagreement. You cannot have the one without the other. Its like time and space. The one is empty without the other. Its like the creationist paleontologist..... :)
i don't think there is any maths that can show me that there should be a spiritual component to my life.

maybe we should take a step back and ask what you define as spiritual because me definition of spiritual would be the belief in the super natural.
jee

Post by jee »

Prime wrote:maybe we should take a step back and ask what you define as spiritual because me definition of spiritual would be the belief in the super natural.
(Un)fortunately I will only share my viewpoint with those i know ;)
Prime

Post by Prime »

jee wrote:
Prime wrote:maybe we should take a step back and ask what you define as spiritual because me definition of spiritual would be the belief in the super natural.
(Un)fortunately I will only share my viewpoint with those i know ;)
Suit yourself :P

I choose not to believe in the super natural for the same reasons i don't believe in God. it would be hypocritical to beleive in one and not the other when i feel there is inadequate (read no) evidence for either. :wink:
jee

Post by jee »

religion = supernatural
spirituality has nothing to do with supernatural.
i believe in what i can see, feel, smell and experience. it is not all science ;)
Prime

Post by Prime »

jee wrote:religion = supernatural
spirituality has nothing to do with supernatural.
i believe in what i can see, feel, smell and experience. it is not all science ;)

no, religion is not spirituality. I know plenty of religious people who are not spiritual. They believe in god because they were raised that way. They go to church because thats what the family does, etc.

cap or dae or d3 are spiritual. They actually contemplate the existance of god and attempt to have an active place in what they believe. They have faith, (i assume) they believe that miracles can happen. (sorry to use you guys as an example ;) correct me if i'm wrong).

yes, we can all see and smell and feel and touch and experience. However thats chemistry and physics. I'm of the opinion that if we keep looking, we'll find more answers and more brilliance and more questions. This is the quest of science. We don't claim to have all the answers, but we can certainly find answers to the ones we do have, and uncover new mysteries which deserve new answers.
jee

Post by jee »

You are so wrong. You don't have to "contemplate the existence of god " in order to be spiritual. You do that if you are religious.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Only a weak mind would contemplate the existence of god. The intellectually unchallenged would see that he exists or that he does not. And only a brainless git would blindly follow others.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:Only a weak mind would contemplate the existence of god. The intellectually unchallenged would see that he exists or that he does not. And only a brainless git would blindly follow others.
And Raud comes out guns-a-blazin and taking no prisoners...
Last edited by GreyWolf on 19 May 2009, 10:27, edited 1 time in total.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken