DIY Aquarium and perspex questions

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Prime

Re: DIY Aquarium and perspex questions

Post by Prime »

Hex_Rated wrote:Guppies are probably the most GAY, placid fish you can get. Their mouths aren't strong enough to cause any damage to anything besides a blood worm. In fact, they actually sell brown, generic guppies (their actual colour in the wild) as food for larger fish.

If you want to see aggro, territorial fish get 5 or 6 Malawi or other African Rift Valley Cichlids, they can even be small (7-10cm), and stick them in an undersized tank and leave them overnight and see what happens. They will tear each other apart because their territories will overlap. And unlike guppies, they have sharp, pointed teeth. Most are predominantly herbivorous, they need sharp teeth for rasping algae off rocks so they don't kill other fish by eating them, they literally rip chunks out of them. They will take live prey as well but I didn't see mine kill any of the other fish to eat them.

Oscars are also quite fun, but they aren't that aggressive - just carnivorous.

I'm starting to miss my tank...
erm, my guppies ate each other :|
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

Fish rot is all gone! My Betta's fins a growing healthy.

Ive realized how much Bull**** a petshop can talk.

Ive added a Tiger barb and a female Betta.
The petshop told me you cant add any fish with a male betta.

The male chases the female around a bit but nothing serious , hes just intimidating and impressing.
The Female chase the guppy and the tigerbarb just hangs around and the petshop told me i must have 6 tiger barbs.

Anyways! :D
This fish tank business is interesting. and want to go a step further.
Does anyone know how much a skimmer would cost ? and do you get small skimmers that will work with a
52L tank ?

I really want to go saltwater, What else is needed ?
Ive got the heater.
Any special filters needed ?

My plans are to get 2 clownfish and 1 sea annnemone ?
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

She really was telling you the exact truth. She could be clairvoyant, or maybe she's kept a few before? Who knows.

Tiger barbs do better in shoals, but if you think you had problems with fins being destroyed by fish rot... Think again. The tiger barb will become very stressed if it's by itself and probably die but if you add more they will gang up on the other fish. I didn't even put those things in tanks with large fish that you would think could fend for themselves, like Oscars.

Welcome to the world of species-compatibility experimentation! Fun for you, maybe.. Not so fun for the fish - except the barb(s). They will be well fed, even though I think they might be a vegetarians.

OK. Maybe not vegetarian:
The tiger barb is an active schooling fish that is usually kept in groups of five or more. They are often aggressive in numbers less than 5 and are known fin nippers. If you only keep two in a tank, one will eventually chase the other fish. Semi-aggressive fish, they form a pecking order in the pack which they may extend to other fish, giving them a reputation for nipping at the fins of other fish, especially if they are wounded or injured. They are thus not recommended for tanks with slower, more peaceful fishes such as bettas, gouramis, angelfish and others with long flowing fins. They do however work well with many fast moving fish such as danios, platys and most catfish. When in large enough groups, however, they tend to spend most of their time chasing each other and leave other species of fish alone. They dwell primarily at the water's mid-level. One of the best tankmates for the tiger barb is a clown loach, which will school with the tiger barbs and act as they do, and the tigers act as the loaches do. Tiger barbs do best in soft, slightly acidic water. The tank should be well-lit with ample vegetation, about two-thirds of the tank space. These barbs are omnivorous and will consume
processed foods such as flakes and crisps as well as live foods.
I underlined the important bits for you. And bolded the tl;dr. Who's betting on the barb winning who's betting on the betta? My moneys on the barb dying before it gets a tank mate and killing it if it does. So what will happen next??? find out next episode of
SBSP Celebrity Aquarium Deathmatch!
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
SBSP

Post by SBSP »

I see :lol:

Thats probably why the barb is sitting in the corner the whole time
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

I really want to go saltwater, What else is needed ?
Ive got the heater.
Any special filters needed ?

My plans are to get 2 clownfish and 1 sea annnemone ?
A lot of chemicals, measuring kits, lighting, and a trickle filter. And a bigger tank would be a good idea. I was interested in it recently. Your current tank would probably only be suitable as a sump for a bigger tank. They reckon 80l is approaching the bottom limit and are much more difficult to get working properly. Read through this forum: http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/forums.php
It will give you and indication of what is necessary, mostly in the new members board.

Also see:
http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/wiki/in ... th_Marines
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_aquarium

Keep in mind, the fish are very expensive. I remember seeing some trigger fish 15+ years ago for R600-R800 and Lionfish for around R1200 each. I don't know how much Clownfish cost, they are bred in captivity but can be found locally in the wild (and are often poached unfortunately) so I'm guessing they are probably not too bad - guessing R200-R300. You'll probably need around R3k for a very modest set up and even more stuff to keep an anemone which are apparently quite delicate and require expensive lighting and good filtration. I would budget for R5k - R6k to get up and running for a few months, there are lots of things you will need after you get running.

You should stick to fresh water, tropical tanks for a long time. Even they can get expensive. Put some plants in and make sure they grow. Maybe even make sure you can keep some of the more finicky species without them dying, marine fish are much more difficult to keep than the most demanding tropical, fresh water varieties. People spend tons of time researching, even with fresh water I spent most of my time researching and buying expensive magazines and books in the days before the Internet...
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Prime

Post by Prime »

SBSP, don't even think about starting a marine aquarium. As hex said, get some more experience with freshwater.

well my tank chose the worst week to want tlc. I have 3 tests and 2 assignments due. :cry: my ph dropped to 7, there is a massive growth of algae suddenly. :? Guess i better clean my secondary filter. I think i've been over feeding :oops: