Many Opel models discontinued in SA

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Belix

Many Opel models discontinued in SA

Post by Belix »

wheels24 wrote:General Motors South Africa is to cut back on its Opel line-up significantly due to the car giant's financial predicament.

GMSA is discontinuing the Astra, Meriva, Zafira and Tigra models locally. The ageing Corsa Lite, a popular choice among budget car buyers, has also reached the end of its life cycle and dropped off GMSA latest price lists distributed to media.

“Driven by the rand deteriorating against the euro, we will only import the Corsa and some commercials for now,” GMSA product communications manager Tim Hendon told Wheels24.

“We continue to make the Corsa Utility in PE and Opel most definitely continues to live on in our lineup.”

However, despite GMSA’s decision to trim the Opel range the manufacturer is to focus more on Chevrolet products. Several new Chev model such as the Cruze sedan and the new Spark are on their way here.

Also, rumour has it that the successor of the Corsa Utility bakkie, which is not due for another two years, will get a Chevrolet badge.
http://www.wheels24.co.za/Content/News/ ... 8a9720ea9a
I think these people are thick. The opel brand has a strong presence locally, and I would not think bringing in a bunch of unknown yank products is the way to do things

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
| 2*Seagate 1TB Raid | Samsung 2232GW 22" LCD | Team Extreem 2GB DDR2 800 |
SBSP

Re: Many Opel models discontinued in SA

Post by SBSP »

Agree.

Apparantly Mercedes will also only open their dealerships 2wice a week, thats second hand info
not sure how true that is.
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

Thats right, lets get rid of the Corsa Lite, the staple car for the students, then VW gets rid of the Golf and guess what... theres no student cars left, which means more second hand cars are bought, which means more cars come in to occupy that space, effectively filling the roads will useless junk that break down every 100m.
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

So if you want an Opel you have to buy a Corsa and that's it?

Meh. Whats next...
Prime

Post by Prime »

The zafira was uncomfortable to sit in anyway.

Its about time they cut back on models. There are far to many car variants in sa. Its ludicrous. And maybe more people will use public transport now.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

it's a good start... but it's not enough...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Belix

Post by Belix »

If it's an option to deminish the number of models, I'd ditch the likes of Tata and the Chinese variety. Sure they're cheap, but they're ugly in the safety and reliability dept. More models is better for consumers anyhow, so i don't get why consumers would want less.

I get a bit gatvol of closeminded people who only like their brand, and all the competition is krap. Even if Opel is not your "hot choice" of cars, try see the bigger picture. They have a big following, quite a history in RSA and I find it sad, even as a fan of an different manufacturer, to loose good models like the Astra line.

Public transport is pretty useless unless you're happy to take 5 buses to get to your destination, or are lucky enough to live and work on the same bus route. Trains are not really an option as they are few and far between.

| Intel C2D E7300 | Asus Striker Extreme | CL X-Fi ME | Asus 8800GTS | Aopen 700W |
Prime

Post by Prime »

Belix wrote:If it's an option to deminish the number of models, I'd ditch the likes of Tata and the Chinese variety. Sure they're cheap, but they're ugly in the safety and reliability dept. More models is better for consumers anyhow, so i don't get why consumers would want less.

I get a bit gatvol of closeminded people who only like their brand, and all the competition is krap. Even if Opel is not your "hot choice" of cars, try see the bigger picture. They have a big following, quite a history in RSA and I find it sad, even as a fan of an different manufacturer, to loose good models like the Astra line.

Public transport is pretty useless unless you're happy to take 5 buses to get to your destination, or are lucky enough to live and work on the same bus route. Trains are not really an option as they are few and far between.
Frankly there are too many cars on the road with 1 occupant.

The Corsa and Citi golf will never ever meet any emissions requirement. and believe me, those are coming.
Belix

Post by Belix »

1 occupant, yes, but how is one car manufacturer dissapearing gonna change that?
cartoday wrote: According to VWSA, the CitiGolf range now complies with the 2008 EU2 emissions requirements that came into effect in January 2008. For this, changes have been made to the exhaust (through the fitment of catalytic converter and oxygen sensor), fuel and engine management systems.

Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

the only problem is that most people that buy golfs are students who are interested in the loud "sound fast, go nowhere" exhausts. Which means they end up de-catting the exhaust anyway, or change the exhaust for aftermarket.
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
maxxis
Moderator Emeritus

Post by maxxis »

Prime wrote: Frankly there are too many cars on the road with 1 occupant...
This is impossible to solve.

Just in JHB alone the whole car-pool thing failed that month they had the car-pool lane BS going.

Ill never car pool. My morning drive is my quiet time.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote:it's a good start... but it's not enough...
agreed ... pull open completely from the country and i'll be happy.

well, happier.

:whistling:
Firestrm_ZA
Deliciously Moist Cake
Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 5950X
Motherboard: ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Graphics card: EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra
Memory: 32GB 3600 G-Skill Trident Z RGB

Post by Firestrm_ZA »

maxxis wrote: My morning drive is my quiet time.
+1 its your only alone time especially with a family :?
https://carbonite.co.za - CUD central 8)