Xam’d Lost Memories Revisited

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
larch

Xam’d Lost Memories Revisited

Post by larch »

I usually only do one first impressions/mini review on the first episode of a new anime series, but on rare occasions I will go back and do one of another episode that impressed me. In this case the second episode of Xam’d Lost Memories, which by the way really left a serious impression on me after I finished watching it last night. And might I just add I think Studio BONES managed to produce a title that in my opinion might be even better than Eureka Seven, although it still might be a bit early to state something so boldly.

In the aftermath of the bus explosion, the aircraft above Sentan Island start dropping large pods, and one of the those lands in the school yard right by the carcass of the bus. From it emerges a large creature that the soldiers recognize as a Humanform Weapon, and it has the ability to rip through nearly anything with its beam weaponry. After destroying an armored car and cutting the school in half, the creature turns its attention towards the bus where Haru and the transformed Akiyuki are.

After watching the second episode of Xam’d Lost Memories, I don’t think I can call this series slow paced anymore. And I did not doubt for a moment that BONES weren’t going to pull off some hectic action sequences during the second episode of the series. We finally get to see Akiyuki in action, he seems to have the ability to reforming his arm and body into any shape he wishes, and he uses these new abilities during his fight with the Humanform Weapon.

Akiyuk seems pretty unstoppable till Nakiami the Nausicaa look alike girl manages to show up and stab him in the arm right were his blue gem is located. I assume that the gem is his weak point hence she used her sword to stab him there. This causes his body to crystallize at which point Nakiami asks Akiyuk if he wanted to live or not to which he replied “yes”. She then removes her sword which seems to stop the crystals from forming as Akiyuk collapses and reverts back to his human form.

Episode two just raised more questions about pretty much everything in the show so far. Who is Nakiami, what is the Xam’d, and why did that Humanform Weapon target Akiyuki after the school bus explosion. The writers appear to have taken a different route by introducing as many characters as possible in the show, before going into the “who” and “why” details of the story. It can be a bit confusing at times, but all I can say is stick with this and you will be rewarded with a excellent series.

I am really looking forward to episode three of Xam’d Lost Memories, as the preview indicates that we are going to see Akiyuk getting acquainted with Nakiami and the crew of Ishu’s flying ship. The third episode also promises lots of action as it seems they are going to get attacked by flying Humanform weapons. And on a final note never ever make fun of a little kids pet. Because..

He might just take it the wrong way…

And hit you…

Where it hurts! the most. LOL!
larch

Post by larch »

*bump* for a awesome series. :)
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

right now there is only one thread for this topic... :)
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

How's the quality on this show? HD?

There's no way I'm gonna watch this on my ps3. I scarcely use my bandwith even on brilliant online gaming. Not to mention it won't be subbed.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Anakha56 wrote:right now there is only one thread for this topic... :)
You mean the anime series? :P
But why :? Each thread was different? :D
ZeroS wrote:How's the quality on this show? HD?

There's no way I'm gonna watch this on my ps3. I scarcely use my bandwith even on brilliant online gaming. Not to mention it won't be subbed.
Yes, its in HD and the 720p version I got from Fabulous is really good! :D

Just a pitty the subtitles are built into the video file :? :(
But nothing we can do about that yet...
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Once on the newsgroups I'll grab and take a look at it.
I loved Eureka 7. The anime style pissed me off at first but I got used to it.
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

SoulBlade wrote:The anime style pissed me off at first but I got used to it.
Same here. I tend to be really fussy about animation style, hence my overall dislike for CLAMP productions.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
larch

Post by larch »

ZeroS wrote:
SoulBlade wrote:The anime style pissed me off at first but I got used to it.
Same here. I tend to be really fussy about animation style, hence my overall dislike for CLAMP productions.
hence you are missing great titles, oh and that would mean you don't like Code Geass then. ? :P

PEOPLE GO WATCH Xam’d Lost Memories NOW!
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Code Geass is done by CLAMP!? I've yet to watch it. I was supposed to get it from Migs, but, I ran out of time...
Well, I did enjoy Tsubasa Chronicle. That's CLAMP as well, no?

Don't get me wrong on Eureka 7. It was amazing. Heck, I even began to like the animation style. It's just that when I first saw it, I had no idea what Eureka 7 was about, what studio, etc, etc. as I thought it was just another ordinary anime. Luckily, I was wrong. :)
larch

Post by larch »

Seiden RG Veda
Tokyo Babylon Original Story
X2 Double X
Mahou Kishi Rayearth
Clamp in Wonderland
Fushigi no Kuni no Miyuki-chan Original Work
X (1996)
Gakuen Tanteidan
Mahou Kishi Rayearth OVA
Wish
Card Captor Sakura
Clover
Gekijouban Card Captor Sakura
Gekijouban Card Captor Sakura - Fuuin Sareta Card
idou Tenshi Angelic Layer
X
Chobits
Sweet Valerian
Tsubasa Chronicle
Gekijouban xxxHOLiC - Manatsu no Yo no Yume
Tsubasa Chronicle: Tori Kago no Kuni no Himegimi
xxxHOLiC
Tsubasa Chronicle 2nd Series Original Work
Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch
Clamp in Wonderland 2
Tsubasa Tokyo Revelations
Tokyo Marble Chocolate
xxxHOLiC: Kei
Code Geass Hangyaku no Lelouch R2
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

....Okay, I've only seen Tsubasa Chronicle from that list. Judging from the names it looks like CLAMP is a major player in the anime world and where the story (or anything else for that matter) is good enough that the animation style doesn't bother me anymore, I'll give it a run.
Rayne

Re: Xam’d Lost Memories Revisited

Post by Rayne »

I finished up 1-19 this morning and personally I think yes, it is impressive. I'm not so sure this is better than Eureka Seven though.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Finished it this morning. Definately one of last years better shows, but it's not on Eureka's level though.
fred_theninja

Post by fred_theninja »

Rayne wrote:Finished it this morning. Definately one of last years better shows, but it's not on Eureka's level though.
eureka was on a level of its own, everything just came together and made one of the best animes of its generation. I still listen to that Storywriter song. think i will play it.

Xam'd was good, it didnt blow me away. but it was watchable. thats just my opinion
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Agreed, worth the watch yes but there was no emotional attachment to any of the characters, something essential for a long-running show such as this. A thing Xam'd did very wrong and Eureka did very right. I thought Midori might change that a bit but no such thing ever happened. Honestly the whole cast could have died for all I cared.

Even Bones can mess-up every now and then I guess but even so still one of the better studios to follow.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

larch wrote:... even better than Eureka Seven...
emmm.. not the hardest thing to do. :?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
fred_theninja

Post by fred_theninja »

Rayne wrote:Even Bones can mess-up every now and then I guess but even so still one of the better studios to follow.
my mates and i were just discussing that BONES isnt he be all and end all. yeah, they have some good animes under their belt. but they can mess up. like what they did to ouran host club. eh
larch

Post by larch »

fred_theninja wrote:
Rayne wrote:Even Bones can mess-up every now and then I guess but even so still one of the better studios to follow.
my mates and i were just discussing that BONES isnt he be all and end all. yeah, they have some good animes under their belt. but they can mess up. like what they did to ouran host club. eh
Actually they are one of the heavy hitters in the industry and what was exactly wrong with ouran host club?
Escaflowne
Angelic Layer
Cowboy Bebop
RahXephon
Wolf`s Rain
Scrapped Princess
Eureka Seven
Nana
Soul Eater
Skull Man
Some? more like a lot....
larch

Post by larch »

Rayne wrote:Agreed, worth the watch yes but there was no emotional attachment to any of the characters, something essential for a long-running show such as this.
And Eureka had no closure to the story and we were left hanging with almost all of the characters and what happened afterward something that Xam’d Lost Memories accomplished by actually having closure to the story. Xam’d Lost Memories was not about emotional attachments to the characters but the human drama caused by war and genocide, it was not a purely character driven show like Eureka who only main focus was two of the characters.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Disagree, exactly why it was needed for without it its appeal did not reach its audience, something which the slighest bit of Googling will tell you, it didn't.
larch

Post by larch »

Well lucky for us neither you or google are a good barometer for my enjoyment of a Anime show.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Yes larch, just like yours is not the standard for mine.
fred_theninja

Post by fred_theninja »

thats just my personal opinion about Bones, i find their original productions interesting but not necessarily the best animes of the year. Im not saying that there past works havent been great. im just saying that they losing their touch.

i was very disappointed in the way they handled both FMA and Ourah host club. the mangas were just that much more better. especially ouran, they missed the plot completely, they totally changed the target audience.

and let me just say three little words that will end this ridiculous debate: Jyu oh sei

Xam'd isnt there best work
case closed!