Helmet Replacement?

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
WiK1d

Re: Helmet Replacement?

Post by WiK1d »

Koko_Lion wrote:Well there are two types of riders, those who have fallen and those who are going to fall.

WiK1d, Hope you and the bike get better quick, play safe.
Actually, there is a third kind: Those who fall all the time.

I'm basically healed now. My skin is growing back, I barely have any pain. Great recovery in a week, I'm happy :D I just want my damn bike back now :( Sitting at home sucks
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Koko_Lion wrote:Well there are two types of riders, those who have fallen and those who are going to fall.

That's probably the only given you can expect as a biker. Everybody falls. Fullstop. No exceptions.
senile

Post by senile »

Don't know if it has been mentioned but there is an article in the January Superbike mag about x-ray scans to detect internal helmet damage after a crash,
and where to have it done.

As for the MX helmets mentioned earlier, there was a feature on Ripley's about a guy that smashed his face on the handlebar after doing a jump. If he had worn a full face helmet he probably would have suffered less injury to his face.

WiK1d wrote:
I used to be that kind. After about 10 falls you instinctively develop a technique to roll instead of slide on the tar. I stopped falling when I switched from a dual-purpose bike to a proper road bike.
jamin_za wrote:Right you are, sorry about that.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

senile wrote:Don't know if it has been mentioned but there is an article in the January Superbike mag about x-ray scans to detect internal helmet damage after a crash,
and where to have it done.

As for the MX helmets mentioned earlier, there was a feature on Ripley's about a guy that smashed his face on the handlebar after doing a jump. If he had worn a full face helmet he probably would have suffered less injury to his face.

WiK1d wrote:
I used to be that kind. After about 10 falls you instinctively develop a technique to roll instead of slide on the tar. I stopped falling when I switched from a dual-purpose bike to a proper road bike.
Try not to roll ;) Roasties are easier to deal with than broken bones, which are a lot easier to get when you're rolling instead of sliding.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

SykomantiS wrote:Try not to roll ;) Roasties are easier to deal with than broken bones, which are a lot easier to get when you're rolling instead of sliding.
I guess that kinda depends on the kit you're wearing, if you're in full leathers, slide it out, but if not, get the **** up and out of the road :P
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Yeah, I was talking about full leathers. Problem is it's just so damn hot in those :( Bit it's best you can do I suppose (Short of not falling off that is :P )
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

WiK1d wrote:

I'm basically healed now. My skin is growing back, I barely have any pain. Great recovery in a week, I'm happy :D I just want my damn bike back now :( Sitting at home sucks
LOL, when it comes to dirt... I'm the third kind :D
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

SykomantiS wrote:Problem is it's just so damn hot in those :(
QFT!

That is the main gripe with leathers. On a summers day, in a city, sitting at the lights, you just pour with sweat.
The other gripe with leathers is that it takes you 20min to get out the house. With a car, you just grab keys and drive to the shops to get milk. With a bike (+ leathers) it takes forever to get out the front door.
I tend to go halfway nowadays...
Armoured jacket, armoured gloves, boots, helmet (obviously :P ), long pants but not proper riding pants cos they're the real annoyance factor.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Oops, most of the time I'm just wearing short shirt and baggies with slops with only a helmet and gloves as protection. I haven't crash on tar (yet). I can imagine it being much more painful.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Koko_Lion wrote:Oops, most of the time I'm just wearing short shirt and baggies with slops with only a helmet and gloves as protection. I haven't crash on tar (yet). I can imagine it being much more painful.
ARG! Slops!! No no no. I'm just sitting here imagining mangled feet!
I cannot emphasize enough how important wearing the right stuff is.
My dad (also a biker) used to threaten me when i was younger that if I wasn't willing to make the effort to wear the correct gear then maybe he should reconsider allowing me to have a motorcycle...
I know it's a pain to put on all the stuff all the time but trust me it is worth it.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Screeper wrote:
Koko_Lion wrote:Oops, most of the time I'm just wearing short shirt and baggies with slops with only a helmet and gloves as protection. I haven't crash on tar (yet). I can imagine it being much more painful.
ARG! Slops!! No no no. I'm just sitting here imagining mangled feet!
I cannot emphasize enough how important wearing the right stuff is.
My dad (also a biker) used to threaten me when i was younger that if I wasn't willing to make the effort to wear the correct gear then maybe he should reconsider allowing me to have a motorcycle...
I know it's a pain to put on all the stuff all the time but trust me it is worth it.
Your dad is a wise man. With a bike you don't have a cage for protection. The only thing between you and pain is the clothes on your back. And slops are definitely a big no-no. At the very least wear a pair of sneakers. But proper riding boots ftw! :P

When I scamper about town, which is usually to campus and back (only about 7km each way) I'll wear only my helmet for protection in summer time, you can't exactly go write a 4 hour exam in full-on leathers... But anything even remotely resembling a long trip gets the whole shebang.
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

My favourite toy :D

Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

That is a really nice bike. You must tons of fun on it. I love the feeling of the back sliding out when you accelerate hard on dirt.

Do you just ride for fun or for competitions aswell?
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Friggs - glad to see the CRF looking all fresh still. You've had it a while now hey and it's still looking in good nick. Had any big 'offs' on it yet?
How's the new kit you bought?
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

Koko_Lion, tbh in the beginning I would %#@& myself when the back slid out as I was only used to riding road bikes :) But yea, now I love it, my old man and I ride in pine forests when I go visit (Underberg) and it's super slippery so you get used to it!
Right now it's just for fun, maybe in a few years I'll look at doing some races but having gone to watch a few it's crazy stuff... and I can't afford the maintenance required from racing right now.

Screeper, thanks man. I do service it quite a bit and every third wash is done with all plastics removed (takes me a day, lol) so it still looks shiny... but don't look to closely :lol: .
I had quite a big off about a year ago where I broke my right clavicle and 3 ribs... then I had to ride for 2 hours to get back!! Absolute agony, took 3 months for the clavicle to completely heal as you can't splint it or put it in a cast, you just wear a sling and try REALLY hard not to move it. I will admit though, I didn't have all the correct kit at the time (i.e upper boddy) but now ride wearing my Oneal full ballistic vest which I am happy to say works, have tested it a few times :)

Looking at getting one of these next:

Winter::

And for summer::

2 pics of my bike on the Sani Pass road just outside Underberg & Himeville:

That's my old helmet and my old Camelback MULE (very awesome for rides, 3L capacity plus lots for tools)

Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Very nice, what bike has your dad got?
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

Koko_Lion wrote:Very nice, what bike has your dad got?
He rides a Honda XR400... He is 60 and I can't keep up, he is insanely quick and has no fear when riding :D
Koko_Lion

Post by Koko_Lion »

Wow! I gotta see that, I can just picture your dad operating that bike like Alfie Cox
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

So, yesterday I got myself this:

Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Sweet Wik1d - where did you get it from?

I tried one of those 'motard' Arai helmets yesterday - the Tour X3
I must say it is a really nice helmet. The peak certainly helps when the sun is low in the sky - which is the one gripe I have with road bike helmets - no protection from sun glare.
After trying this puppy I would have to say it would probably be the next helmet I get.
Sadly, not cheap though - R5499
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

I think he got it from Full Throttle...

Really nice jacket, how much you pay? What was the smallest size they had?
I want to get myself a leather jacket, I dont want to use my air flow I have... It's better than nothing though.
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

PsyCLown wrote:I think he got it from Full Throttle...

Really nice jacket, how much you pay? What was the smallest size they had?
I want to get myself a leather jacket, I dont want to use my air flow I have... It's better than nothing though.
Yep, Full Throttle indeed.

It was R2199, and they had an XS which I tried on first, but was quite tight, mine is Medium. They also have the same model Nexos with like brands on and stuff, but I got a blank cause they had no Derbi stuff.

I'm quite happy with it. It has solid protection on all the crucial areas and has pretty good ventilation.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Hmm, I want to get one now!! :P hehe

If I had the cash I'd prolly get one :?
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

Screeper, those Arai's are awesome dude, I would have loved to have one when I was on the road as there's nothing worse than riding straight into the sun, it blinds you!

Nice wik, a good quality jacket is well worth the bucks!!