Something weird happened last night

Formerly known as "The Ward" -- now Anakha56 and rustypup's playground. Abandon all hope, all ye who enter.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
SoulBlade

Re: Something weird happened last night

Post by SoulBlade »

How can the indians not see the boats? They've seen wood before and the boats are made of wood. Although in a different shape it's still wood.

I think that research is bulltwat.
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
justinufo

Post by justinufo »

Another story i know of my aunts old house was seriously freaky.Theres a reason why they moved.My aunt saw a lizard thingy in her room.She was wide awake and my cuz was thrown of his bed by something!!!!When he switched the light on nothing.....
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

SoulBlade wrote:How can the indians not see the boats? They've seen wood before and the boats are made of wood. Although in a different shape it's still wood.

I think that research is bulltwat.
No, like I said the Indians story could just be legend. The story goes that they couldn't fathom sea vessels so even though they could see wood, their minds didn't accept it appearing in its form as a ship on the sea. Top-down processing is scientifically proven, think about it. We're built to conserve energy whenever we can, including mental energy. So what happens, if something seems familiar, our brains will be lazy and assume that it's the same thing it experienced before and not process it all over a second time, and in doing so saving energy. Here is proof:
Arinocdcg to rencet rseaerch, the hmuan brian is plrectfey albe to raed colmpex pasasges of txet caiinontng wdors in whcih the lrettes hvae been jmblued, pvioedrd the frsit and lsat leetrts rmeian in teihr crcerot piiotsons.

The fcat taht you are ridenag tihs now wtih reaitvle esae is poorf of the thoery.

Wehre did all of tihs strat?

It smees taht the trehoy orgteiinad form a 1976 ppaer at the Uvnitsriey of Nigaonthtm wtiertn by Graahm Rwsnailon of Asrhodelt, wichh gvae rsie to an acirlte wihch aaeprrped in the 'Narute' pbuolitaicn in 1999.

A fhrtuer alircte in the Tiems neppeawsr in Speemebtr 2003 pivroedd mroe eanxopiatln auobt the peohoemnnn.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

The only thing difficult to read there is the surname of the person who wrote the paper.
Zana

Post by Zana »

Hmm At least someone else whitnessed the strange stuffies..
there is a lot more to the universe than one can see...
1) It could be a scientiest in an invisbie suit, or even an alien sentient toying with you for lulz.
2)An energy based life form or pandimensional life form that can materialize in alternate dimensions(not parallel universes), or switch between two which are called or labled as demons or angels..
3)Ghosts, these are the energy remainds of people that once walked, they bodies are gone in the grave or ashes in the wind and soil, but there energy structures never returned to the Universe, hence they wish to renmain for reasons which are personal for each individual ghost. For some reason the ghosty may be toying you for lulz, or could be trying to get your attention for a specific reason that you or someone is in danger.
:love1:
yes more points to add to the oddball for being oddball
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com
IcePick88

Post by IcePick88 »

Or it could be me in that suit from the game TimeShift! :shock:
CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 555 (OC'ed to 3.8Ghz)
CPU Cooler: CM Hyper TX3 P/P
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD5850
Motherboard: Asus M4A785T-M
Memory: 4GB Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1333
Case: Zalman Z7
Display: Samsung Syncmaster 2243BWX
mina.magpie

Post by mina.magpie »

Our brains can do really amazing things to make our perceptions fit our mental framework. As an example, consider psychosomatic illness, the placebo effect, that sort of thing. For example, I read an article a while ago about a phenomenon called selective perception (which is fairly widely used in advertising), which describes two really interesting cases:

The first is a case where subjects were told they were consuming alcohol. After a few drinks, they started exhibiting the same symptoms as somebody who was genuinely inebriated, including poor driving and ... social lubrication. ;) This one is in wikipedia's article on selective perception as well.

The second was where the scientists show the subjects a series of playing cards. They'll slip one or two in there that are fake, a red 5 of spades for example. Most of the subjects didn't realise they were staring at a fake card till it was pointed out to them. Their brains expected something, and just filled in the blanks where their perception didn't fit. Unfortunately I can't find the article I read this in.

This would also probably explain why near death experiences and ghost sightings and the like occur when our rational minds are somehow incapacitated, whether by extreme relaxation or drugs or meditation or being near death. At that point our subconscious takes over, our brains shift into a theta state and pretty-much all the perceptual filters fall away.

Another explanation might lie in that we only perceive a very narrow spectrum of the electromagnetic and audio spectrums. It's perfectly possible that a ghost or whatever the case may be simply shows up at a different wavelength, one which we're not normally capable of seeing, except for people with unique physiologies or brain structures.

A good example of this would be animals that can detect earthquakes before they happen - we're not sensitive enough to vibration to pick it up, (might also help if we stopped wearing shoes ;) ) but they are. The same is true of light and sound and other inputs, which would go a long way towards explaining why animals tend to freak out in haunted houses and such.

Mina.
"Don't waste your whole life trying to get back what was taken away" - The Offspring from "Kristy are you doing okay"
mina.magpie

Post by mina.magpie »

Y'all might find this interesting:

http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas ... our_brain/

Mina.
"Don't waste your whole life trying to get back what was taken away" - The Offspring from "Kristy are you doing okay"