New Porsche Boxster

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

New Porsche Boxster

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

I got this in my mail this morning, i sign up for all news regarding Porsche.
Dear Porsche enthusiast

Just imagine – you are sitting in an open-top roadster. The roadster's centre of gravity is extremely low. Agility and lateral acceleration are high. Very high. Your heart is pounding. You are feeling the harmonisation of technology and emotion. And, above all, you feel one thing: where sport begins. The new Boxsters are coming.

In terms of concept, the new Boxster is a direct expression of the original roadster ideal. Mid engine. Light weight. Low centre of gravity. This same combination of elements enabled the 550 Spyder to become one of the most successful racing cars of its time. And makes the Boxster a modern classic that you can now get to know in a new way.

In our "Where sport begins" Web Special, we will show you exclusive highlights of the new Boxster and Boxster S and give you an insight into the intensive development work that went into the new models.

Where sport begins is also where great challenges must be overcome. In our Boxster community we invite you to find the perfect Boxster route. Because corners were never so exciting as they are now with the new Boxster.

Click the following link to get to the Web Special or copy the link into the address line of your browser:

http://www.porsche.com/wheresportbegins/int.asp
check the out, has a nice little flash thingie all about the development etc...

and a nice pic...

will add the vital stats when i get them.

As far as i can see, the car is very reminiscent of the Carrera GT, and follows pretty much all of its styling cues, although at the same time it remains (to me) instantly recognizable as a Boxster, the side grille and the tail end (ok ok you cant see it here, but if you could you would agree) is all ver "boxsterish"...

from what i have read the Boxster S has a 3.2 litre Horizontally opposed (!) 206kw engine and accelerates form 0-100km/h in 5,5 secs - has a 6 speed gearbox and of course bears the mid mounted tail pipes.

for those who dont know...

Boxer Engine + Roadster Style

= Boxster
------
a nikonian from South Africa....
Nikonians
Dom

Post by Dom »

Mmmm... I like! :wink:

Porsche's have to be just about some of the finest cars on the planet.
\"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; although I am not sure about the former.\" Albert Einstein

November 10th, 2004; I\'m gonna miss you mom :-(
May 3rd, 2007; Missing you gramps :-(
Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

dom wrote:Mmmm... I like! :wink:

Porsche's have to be just about some of the finest cars on the planet.

SOME OF!!!

:wink:
------
Nikonians
Demoraliser

Post by Demoraliser »

sweet, porsches have great character. What do think of the new 997? Dig the fact that they have reverted to old style headlamps. Its absolutely stunning.
Lee Mercer (Angel): This is getting ridiculous. The first assassin kills the second assassin sent to kill the first assassin, who didnt assassinate anyone until we hired the second assassin to assassinate her.
Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

ye, when the 997 came out, i was on the list of people who was shown a preview of it and its making etc... was amazing, really enjoyed and learned a hell of a lot.

That 997 is set to be one of the greatest driving experiences ever...

the lights are actually not that much reverting back to the old style, i think the best way i heard it put was that if the 996 had "Fried egg" lights, the 997 has "Boiled eg" lights... lol

awesome cars though, that is all the new porsches...
------
Nikonians
Law

Post by Law »

i saw a thing on the subaru's that showed there boxer engine's. I actually never knew there were engine's like that until i saw that program, or that the porsche boxster name was hence because of that reason until then.

Who said you learn nothing from watching tv.

MAY THE CHEESE BE WITH YOU!
{PK} Law
Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

boxer engines are cool. Generally very low NVH levels and a very specific sound to them...

most porsches have had them... except the 914,924,924,944,and 968 series, which ultimately became the boxster.

there are a few others like the 917 (i think) that had an 11 litre v12 and pushed out 1100 kilowatts or something crazy like that... not entirely sure on this though, if you think otherwise just say...
:!:
------
Nikonians
wit_skapie
Moderator Emeritus

Post by wit_skapie »

Awesome car! Here's some nice pics and an article:

http://www.seriouswheels.com/top-2005-P ... ster-S.htm
ckritntt

Post by ckritntt »

Glad to see I aint the only person who loves the worlds gr8est car maker.That porsche add where the boy puts up the poster of the 911 turbo(i think) on his wall at the end of the add is still one of my all time fav's.Plus the boxster is actually quite affordable.
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

I'm a big Porsche fan, new Boxster looks fab.
One of my friends dad has a red one (the current model), eveytime i go to her house i spend 20 min outside oogling it :)
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
Tel
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Tel »

The Boxster has always been my favourite car. And this one has kept with the traditional and I love this one too! :bigups:
Be Silly. Be Honest. Be Kind. | Ralph Waldo Emerson
Friggs

Post by Friggs »

I read somewhere that the Porsche 911 is basically the only car that is almost exclusively drivven by men! Very VERY few woman drive 911's... Sexist i know but ey.... :lol:

GO PORSCHE!!
Nerevar

Post by Nerevar »

I love the Porsche 911 turbo!
I want to buy one...
Dont have that kind of cash :cry:
E6600@2.9GHz, Asus8800 GTS, 2x2GB
Patriot DDR2 4-4-4-12 @ 900MHz
SmL9

Post by SmL9 »

Scarlet_Spider wrote:there are a few others like the 917 (i think) that had an 11 litre v12 and pushed out 1100 kilowatts or something crazy like that... not entirely sure on this though, if you think otherwise just say...
:!:
I think you mean hp, Scarlet_Spider.
This is the Porsche 917/30 as raced in the 1973 CanAm. It was powered by a 5.4 litre turbocharged 12 cylinder boxer engine that produced 1100 bhp (820 kW) at race trim; more than 1500 bhp (1118 kW) was produced in practice. It was driven by Mark Donohue to his first and only CanAm championship. Donohue drove this car in 1975 on the Talladega Speedway and broke the 'World's Closed Course Speed record'. Donohue made a four-lap run with an average speed of 221.120 mph (355.858 km/h) according to caculations he reached 250 mph (402 km/h) on the straits, this record has not been broken since. It was not only fast but also quick as it accelerated from a standstill to 200 km/h in an amazing 5.3 seconds.
Source: cardomain.com
Scarlet_Spider
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Scarlet_Spider »

thanks for clearing that up Sml9, i knew it was something ridiculous like that.

Take note that was in 1973!!

eat your heart out Bugatti!
------
Nikonians