What you just watched and thoughts on it

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
ZeroS

Re: What you just watched and thoughts on it

Post by ZeroS »

Completed Death Note. The anime started off at an invigoratingly pulsating pace but slowly reached a sedated pace as it went along. No doubt though, this was a notch above the rest. The best I've seen since... I can't really remember when.

Nevertheless, I'm bursting at the seams with thoughts on this anime though I'm too lazy right now - probably will always be - to care to post anything about them.

This anime would be nice to watch with someone.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
Jonboy

Post by Jonboy »

I watched Tropic Thunder this weekend and was thoroughly disappointed. There were so many big names that nobody's performance stood out, Jack Black's character wasn't worthy of his name. I think a more seasoned comedy director could have done more with it, Ben Stiller should rather have just acted in it. I can say though that this will be better than the upcoming Superhero movie. Saw the trailer and can only say WTF!
[Intel Core i3 2100 {Sandybridge}]
[Asus P8P67 Pro LE Socket 155 Mobo]
[HIS AMD Radeon 6850 1GB Gfx]
[4Gb Mushkin Silverline DDR3 1333 RAM]
[500Gb Seagate SATAII 6G HDD]
[Coolermaster Elite 430 Chasis]
[Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit]
[LG W2234S 22" Display]
Screeper

Post by Screeper »

Just saw Indy 4. Fairly good, but just like the last 3 except Harrison is slightly greyer. Same jokes, but then again they have to be otherwise it wouldn't be an Indiana story.
Plot was very weak indeed - inter-dimensional beings *yaaawn*

Still it killed the 2 hours that I needed to kill so the movie did it's job.
There are 10 types of people in this world.
Those who understand binary and those who do not.
SoulErazor

Post by SoulErazor »

I've been watching Macross Frontier & I must say that it is awesome I like the tie ins with Macross Zero as well as the Lin Min Mei references a nice little touch to the original Macross story or "Robotech" for most people outside of Japan. A little warning though I got some of the 1024x768 mkv files & I must say the subbing is terrible with most of the subtitles being overwritten on each other. As with the original Macross/Robotech there is a lot of singing which is great but unfortunately as I said they subtitle it & when some-one speaks the subtitles are transposed over the words for the song making what the character said unreadable, IMO I would say get the avi files as their subtitles are topnotch without sacrificing on too much video quality.
In The Name Of God,Impure Souls Of The Living Dead Shall Be Banished Into Eternal Damnation,Amen
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

SoulErazor wrote:A little warning though I got some of the 1024x768 mkv files & I must say the subbing is terrible with most of the subtitles being overwritten on each other.
Thats more your players fault than the subbing, I suspect.

VLC does that to me sometimes with MKV files.

Try a different player if you are using VLC.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

SoulErazor wrote:A little warning though I got some of the 1024x768 mkv files & I must say the subbing is terrible with most of the subtitles being overwritten on each other.
Try using MPC (Media Player Classic) I cant provide a link right now due to no international bandwidth :(
But just google it, its free ;)

Thats should display the subtitles perfectly, they normally tend to have nice subtitles with pretty colours and fonts.etc as well :)
Where as with a player that doesnt support built in soft subs they tend to use an ugly default font and normally white with a slight black stroke :roll:
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

I watched Whsipers of the Heart earlier...
Wasnt quite what I was hoping for, was hopeing for something more like the short clips that were shown of her story she was writing...

I hope The Cat Returns is more like the book...apparently it is...
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

K-lite for all your media playing needs. Just needs to be updated every 6 months or so. Also the macross frontier mkv are 1288x720. Only found one text crossing and that was on episode 17s intro.

Macross F has me hooked. Sadly 350mb files are too much for capped connections to handle so I am taking it slower with my 64k dial up. Surprisingly I pushed 4 episodes and 1.4gb last weekend. Back to the series I have finished watching episode 19. I feel sorry for both Ranka and Sheryl.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

I also like K-lite. Its an awesome codec pack! :D

I started watching the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya today, watched upto the episode 6.
Its pretty good, different! :D Starting to get a bit weird :? But lets see what happens.

The first episode is PATHETIC!! I mean they didnt even have a widescreen video camera :roll: Come on...
Useless movie on top of it :-/

Im off to watch episode 7 now :D

Spoiler (show)
DeathStrike
Location: hidden deep in the depths of the underworld is my home.

Post by DeathStrike »

i just watched a few eps of Kekaishi. i am enjoying it so far.
Spoiler: (show)
SIG by HMAN 8)
Member of The Pride Of Darkness
DeathStrike on Twitter
About me
Spoiler: (show)
Asus P5KPL-CM motherboard, 4 GIG RAM, Q6600 @ 2.88GHz (Thanks Anthro), GeForce 8600GT, Samsung 2333 23" + CRT 17" Monitors. 500GB + 1.5TB HDD, Compro TV tuner, 350 WATT PSU
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

was finally subjected to jumper yesterday...

i would happily embrace the destruction of anyone vaguely related to its creation... unmitigated crud.. really, now... all those folks who raved about this abomination need to produce some certificate of authenticity when applying for 'functioning mind' status...

blegh.....

on the plus side, i fell into a coma halfway through and awoke thoroughly invigorated....
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
ZeroS

Post by ZeroS »

Completed Shigofumi. A nice and somewhat surprising series.
Just as I was expecting to toss it into the mediocrity bin, it latched onto to me unawares. However, it did seem to get tedious nearing the final episodes and it being a short series did it greater justice than had it been a longer one.
The opening theme and one or two characters were very nostalgic of NIS creations. (Game developer)

Currently watching Shigurui. The memory of when last I watched something like this is misty, but, a series like this one every once in awhile is a great refresher. The pace is enticingly slow, oddly enough, as it allows you to fully imbibe the scene at hand, especially the moral code/tradition/social nomenclature/etc. Another good thing is that the story is quite coherent and with the slow pace it allows you to brood over the entire picture, and the aspect I find most delectable is the characters themselves, the way they develop and the relations given their circumstances (samurai code/culture/etc) and the general atmosphere surrounding those circumstances (the time those people lived in/their aspirations/etc.)
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.
Augur

Post by Augur »

Just finished Ghost in the Shell - Stand alone complex

I must admit I was a little sceptical at first but once you reach the half way mark it really starts to make a lot more sense.
I did myself a huge favour and took a quick look at J.D Slinger, Catcher in the Rye and the Laughing man short stories towards the end of the first season. After that little bit of research the ending really blew my mind!
I can't wait for the 2nd GIG and then the movie...
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

I just finished the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya...

I really really really enjoyed it!!
AWSOME SERIES!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D

Haruhi FTW!!!

I cant wait for the 2nd season!! I wonder what happend to Snow White though? o_O
Im guessing that will take place later on...

Spoiler (show)
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Watched episode 19 and 20 of Shuffle after a long break from watching Shuffle...
It seems like it turning into something similar to School Days :-/ Which isnt that cool...

It started off really nicely!!
Im missing watching The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya though :(

Spoiler (show)
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

I finished watching xxxHOLiC KEI last night...
HOLiC is a really great series!!! :D
I hope they make another!! I think I want to start reading the manga! :P hehe

EDIT: HOLY MOLY!!! Finally!! :D xD
Finished watching Shuffle...at one point I thought something similar to School Days was happening...Towards the end of it I just got really bored with it too :?
It started it rather well, differently though, which was nice I guess...it soo became extremely boring though! :(
Kinda forced myself to watch through a few of the episodes :cry:

Spoiler (show)
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

What the hell... Anyone watching Ga-Rei : Zero? Here I am piecing together the happenings and characters in what's the opening episode thinking right this is the main male and sweet this must be the main female (and a really hot one too) when all of a sudden... Wow man, just, wow...

I believe in all the anime I've thus seen this is the first time this is done in the very first opening.

Anyway it looks good. Will most probably be much better than Gantz could ever hope to be (even though all the stations censored it sadly) and after the shocking fist episode I just saw I'm definately sticking with it. More thoughts later.
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

Downloading Ga-Rei now, it seems promising.

Other than that watching Ghosthound and Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha :oops: Fine think whatever you want, it cute :P
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Well did some reading-up on it and it is not following it's manga, at all. Shikabane Hime's isn't either so I'll be scratching my head and wait for more episodes to figure out wtf's going on in this show. Those who've seen #2 RAW says it's not the ending episode like Berserk or Gungrave, and strongly suggest you do not get attached to your favorite toons...

[EDIT] Episode #2 just went up but I'll stick to AniYoshi.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Rayne wrote:What the hell... Anyone watching Ga-Rei : Zero? Here I am piecing together the happenings and characters in what's the opening episode thinking right this is the main male and sweet this must be the main female (and a really hot one too) when all of a sudden... Wow man, just, wow...

I believe in all the anime I've thus seen this is the first time this is done in the very first opening.

Anyway it looks good. Will most probably be much better than Gantz could ever hope to be (even though all the stations censored it sadly) and after the shocking fist episode I just saw I'm definately sticking with it. More thoughts later.
Im downloading it, will watch once all (I think it was 6 episodes) have finished airing :D

I'd like to get the manga as well.

Spoiler (show)
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Only six? Who said that? I doubt that mate. Yeah I don't know I'm not interested in the manga since the anime and manga has nothing to do with one another so it's pointless picking up the manga now imo. The anime centers around the happenings two years prior to the manga when Yomi turned evil and singelhandedly killed seventy agents, friends inclusive.

And it's not all that good. Yet, it did what no show dared do before it. Whatch the first episode and you'll undestand.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Rayne wrote:Only six? Who said that? I doubt that mate. Yeah I don't know I'm not interested in the manga since the anime and manga has nothing to do with one another so it's pointless picking up the manga now imo. The anime centers around the happenings two years prior to the manga when Yomi turned evil and singelhandedly killed seventy agents, friends inclusive.

And it's not all that good. Yet, it did what no show dared do before it. Whatch the first episode and you'll undestand.
I remember I checked it out on anidb. IIRC it wasnt too long? Or am I mistaken?

I originally wanted to read the manga, but then noticed the anime is coming out soon. If the anime and manga arent alike then it will be nice to read the manga as well as watch the anime.

Spoiler (show)
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

New shows aren't fully or correctly listed because the updates come from TV schedules, which normally only reads a week in advance.
06.10.2008 till ?
Nobody knows when it's ending yet.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Rayne wrote:New shows aren't fully or correctly listed because the updates come from TV schedules, which normally only reads a week in advance.
06.10.2008 till ?
Nobody knows when it's ending yet.
Hmm, ok. My mistake. Must have been another anime series I was looking at then... :?

Spoiler (show)
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

I finished watching World Destruction last night...
I REALLY enjoyed it!! :w00t: Was pretty awesome!! Very different to what I had been watching lately I guess...

Spoiler (show)