Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 (First Impressions)

Japanese toons and movies - You gotta love 'em!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
larch

Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 (First Impressions)

Post by larch »

So the second season of the highly rated and anticipated show called Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion has been officially aired in Japan and fansubbed by multiple groups. And I managed to get my grubby hands on the first episode of the second season, I am going to try and keep it as spoiler free as possible.

A.T.B 2010. Japan is defeated by the superpower bound for world domination, the holy empire of Britannia, and renamed to the colony, area 11. Seven years later, on a day when Japanese people had no hope to speak of, one rebel stood up.

The masked man, “Zero”. Zero, who advocated the liberation of Japan, led the Black Knights and challenged the Britannian army to a decisive battle. However, that battle resulted in the defeat of the Black Knights…

…and the death of Zero. Such was how history was written. It’s almost one year since the rebellion that Zero incited, the “Black Rebellion”. Area 11 has settled down, as well. Back during the incident, various rumors were flying around about Zero’s death. The Elevens lost. They had no power, had they not done anything, they would have been downgraded to a remedial area territory, but now they aren’t even treated as human beings but as animals. Due in part to the failure of the Black rebellion.

All of the orginal characters of the first season make a apearance in the first episode of the second season, and there is a couple of nasty surprises and plot twists mixed into it. Making for a highly entertaining first episode to the seconds season of Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion. And might I just add that Lelouch is still the man. !!!

The artwork and animation is still top notch as expected from the sunrise and clamp collaboration, with new catchy opening and ending themes I am expecting lots of things from the seconds season and it is sure to deliver and surpass my expectations.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I enjoyed season 1.

I felt it started falling apart a bit at the end, but now I see that was just to make a good opening for season 2...
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

I must watch the first season.
Also dunno how true this is, but apparently the first 4 episodes of the 2nd season was leaked... :?
Might have been an April Fools joke :? :evil: *boo, thumbsdown pic*
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

No it's true, it was on a Japanese P2P network before the first episode aired. I asume the developers weren't at all pleased.

This is going to be an interesting year... You know what Gonzo is doing?
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Ahh, so it is true...

Now if they keep this up im going to be EXTREMELY HAPPY!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Gonzo :?: :?
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
larch

Post by larch »

PsyCLown wrote:I must watch the first season.
Also dunno how true this is, but apparently the first 4 episodes of the 2nd season was leaked... :?
Might have been an April Fools joke :? :evil: *boo, thumbsdown pic*
http://www.shotgunreviews.com/2008/04/0 ... pressions/
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

PsyCLown wrote:Ahh, so it is true...

Now if they keep this up im going to be EXTREMELY HAPPY!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Gonzo :?: :?
Keep it up? There's no way, filesharing is now illegal in Japan. Nothings becoming easier, it's becoming harder.

Gonzo's streaming their new releases, downloadable, on the exact same time and day it airs in Japan, free, oficially subbed, iot combat fansubs.
Rayne

Re: Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 (First Impressions)

Post by Rayne »

Kallen. One of the few reasons I'm watching this show. Episode 18 redeemed Geass R2 imo. Now on to see if the rest keeps the bar high.

EDIT : It does not, I spoke too soon. Lelouch is a chop. And Geass still sucks.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Just watched episode 23 and you know, I don't even know wtf's going on anymore.
I can’t imagine any happy ending for this series without some kind of world resetting event that brings everyone back to life with lots of happy thoughts and lolipops, and at this point of time I don’t think I give a damn anymore. This trainwreck has continued for so long that even the vengeful spirits of its passengers have since died of old age.
Applaud! That came from an award winning blog btw, a hardcore Geass fanboy. I can respect oke's like this, calling an apple an apple, and don't sell it as sugar-coated candy.

http://www.darkmirage.com

Please God let it end soon with no hope of a season 3.
Faltzer

Post by Faltzer »

I've only watched up to episode 15 so far, it dosen't seem too bad, it kinda reminds me of Death Note (in a way), hopefully not the same ending though, cause if it is then I'm not going to continue! :P
Live anime, eat anime, sleep anime... probably die from eating anime...
(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(")signature to help him gain world domination!
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Geass had very good moments, good enough to make you want more. But, and here's the problem, the moment you got more, it completely lost the plot. This ongoing loop of expectations and disappointments started roughly 10-15 episodes ago, and it only got worse. So bad, like I mentioned, I have no clue what's going on anymore. Lelouch isn't a strategist, his lucky, and don't anyone even bother arguing that, I'll throw you with 10 examples of him **** up. Lelouch is a fag living in the moment who will throw away the lives a millions for but one. And so I Google some Geass and what do I find? Tons of peeps mocking their once favorite show. Ah, now I feel better, I wasn't alone afterall.

Here's just about the most accurate recap you'll get on episode 23 btw : http://finality.wordpress.com/2008/09/1 ... 23-wut-o_o

If this was episode 10 or something I would have dropped this show but because there's only 2 more episodes left and I waisted tons of bandwidth on 23x 360Mb episodes already I'll endure 50 minutes more of this crap that was Geass R2. May they all die slow, gruesome deaths in episode 25 please. Well, all except Kallen, she rocked, albeit only in two or three episodes, she owned.
larch

Post by larch »

Rayne wrote:Lelouch isn't a strategist, his lucky, and don't anyone even bother arguing that, I'll throw you with 10 examples of him **** up. Lelouch is a fag living in the moment who will throw away the lives a millions for but one. And so I Google some Geass and what do I find? Tons of peeps mocking their once favorite show. Ah, now I feel better, I wasn't alone afterall.
I will gladly argue the point. :mrgreen:

I think I can enjoy this because I am capable of accepting most of these revelations without having a conflict between what I expected and what I got that results in me going haywire on a mostly invisible writing staff. And believe me there is a massive conflict there that if I really cared or believe so strongly in my vision of how R2 was going to progress I could make a huge deal out of it and insta-hate the series. I’d rather not because I’m not the writer and it is not my decision to make how the series should and shouldn’t progress. I recognize this, and that I am just a viewer.
Rayne wrote: Here's just about the most accurate recap you'll get on episode 23 btw : http://finality.wordpress.com/2008/09/1 ... 23-wut-o_o
The rushing is definitely a problem in CG R2, but I have also learned not to focus too much on the negative aspects of a show and appreciate the positive things instead. That’s how I managed to go through Mai Otome, Tower of Druaga, Zegapain (those flaws happened to be the mechas and actions) Gundam Seed Destiny, even Darker than Black (which was great, but a lot of potential seemed lost). In the end, CG has its flaws like any anime show. What I don’t understand is why these flaws get so blown out of proportion while its many good qualities get overshadowed…..not even Dragonaut had this much negative publicity. And yet people keep watching, people keep anticipating the next episode. Does that say something about the hypocritical nature of today’s viewership?

Again, I’d get exhausted of typing up chunks of text about how bad a show is. I don’t know how anyone can expect to enjoy CG with “this is a trainwreck” virtually inscribed into their brains by some sunrise-hating idiot

Rayne wrote: If this was episode 10 or something I would have dropped this show but because there's only 2 more episodes left and I waisted tons of bandwidth on 23x 360Mb episodes already I'll endure 50 minutes more of this crap that was Geass R2. May they all die slow, gruesome deaths in episode 25 please. Well, all except Kallen, she rocked, albeit only in two or three episodes, she owned.
I am pretty much just for old-fashioned the casual viewing and heavy debate method. AKA the “fanboy” method as it is now known, since actually enjoying an anime for it’s story and characters at face value is apparently more of a retro 90’s thing now. Gotta love today's anime community.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

No it is not but I'm going to be quite honest here larch, I'm surprised your doing so with this show. I know this is not your usual habit bacause I've seen you name bad shows. You have a sweetspot for Geass? I can live with that, I have my favorites too, so does all. But, even so, you know why I'm not looking past it's flaws? This is why. 1702 fanboys awarded this an 8.91 and you what? It was already rated high before anyone of the fools even saw the first episode of it. Hype, I'm sick of it. Count on me to call the bad just that, bad. This show unlike Darker Than Black, doesn't just leave you with unanswered questions, it has become so unpredictable nothing makes sense anymore. I don't watch anime to kill time, I'm not 16 years old. I watch anime because I enjoy doing so. I don't have much time to waste and when watching something I'm not enjoying, I'm waisting it.

Sure there was a number of episodes I really enjoyed, yes. Kallen owning Suzaku in her Gurren was awesome and Kallen owning Suzaku without her Gurren was even better, for example. I cannot however, make an overall judgement based on a minority. I have to subjectively view the whole and base that judgement on the majority. From a 25x episode show in which say, 8 were really good and 17 were really bad, bad is what I'm going to rate it.

Dragonaut nobody talks about because it's rated bad. I'm not even going to bother downloading it. Why then is Geass R2 rated as good? If it was rated the 7 it deserves at it's very best I would not make so much of it. Tagged for it's "awesome storyline"? Their making things up every 5 minutes into the show as their going along for crying out loud. "Keeps you on your seat"? Erm, no, but it does make me reach for and move my mouse every so often so that I can see the timeline in fullscreen mode to know just how long the latest boring episode's going to drag on before I can move on to something else. Remember jamin's comment below your OP? Well, hate to break this to whoever's still to watch it, but it's been "falling apart" ever since. So much so that any given ending at this point in time can feel like the right one.

Anyhows, I'm not really enjoying discussion like this anymore. It makes little sense as we all have diffirent tastes. I think no less of you for disagreeing. There are many other shows you recommended I really enjoyed. If you can manage to view a seriously flawed show at face value then great, nothing wrong with that. I however, I can't larch.
larch

Post by larch »

Rayne wrote:If you can manage to view a seriously flawed show at face value then great, nothing wrong with that. I however, I can't larch.
I don't mind you calling the show crap hell that's your opinion about it and I respect that I could have gone "lolz retard" or something like that. But I am pointing out the other side of the fence, so that people read a thread like this they can either from there own opinions or read what we are discussing here.
Rayne

Post by Rayne »

Last time I pulled this a few Narutards came close to heart attacks... :twisted:

But yes, likewise.
larch

Post by larch »

LOL! but we all know that Naruto is crap :P