Tiscali is sucking me dry.

Chat about anything and everything here!
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Memphis_Raines

Tiscali is sucking me dry.

Post by Memphis_Raines »

Yo guys.

Im been using Tiscali for about a year now and it has come to my attention that they have been taking "more than thier share" for thier services. Its been going on for about 3 months now and i only found out today. I look at my invoices today and assume that everything is fine because it says R145 paid. Now this month they took get this guys R587 !!!!! Im really at a loss of what to do to get my cash back. First off has any of this happened to you guys at some stage and what did you do to get that cash back?
Eleanor, don't do this to me
Kronos
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Kronos »

Memphis_Raines wrote:Tiscali is sucking me dry.
Who is Tiscali? Is she Cute? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Memphis_Raines

Post by Memphis_Raines »

Hehe good one Kronos :lol: :lol:

Yeah my Isp has given me cr*p in the past but this is really getting to me. If i hadnt of gotten a balance at the bank of monthly transactions i would have never known this was happening.
junjun

Post by junjun »

i use tiscali! There services are gr8,i also pay R145pm and the strange part is that i neva looked at my invoices!i recieve them by email but i neva pay att to them!il have a look at them maybe they gona hit me down to.
Memphis_Raines

Post by Memphis_Raines »

Nah dude the invoices are perfecto. Its my bank statements. The b*stards took the 500 something and said that it was only 145 in the invoice. I got a monthly debit order that goes through. But the question is. Where is the money going, tomorrow morning i want to phone and give em some hell but i dont really know what to say. I suppose asking politely why they taking my money and squeezing my b**ls for more would be a good start. At least ill have a good 2000 bucks to play with if i do get my money back. Now what was the name of that gpu i wanted :twisted:
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Holy crap I would be so pissed off if that happened to me 8O

If I were you I would insist upon them refunding you completely, and then I would switch to another ISP. If they are sending you invoices that state one amount, while they take another amount from your bank account, you could have a legal claims case against them - they are lying to you and stealing your money.
human slave in an insect nation
Memphis_Raines

Post by Memphis_Raines »

Yeah that seems a good route to go. I want to find out the facts tho before i go totally overboard. if they have a logical explination then ill accept but at the moment i see none. What Isp's are there aside from tiscali and mweb. Polka is not an option. I get good speeds with tiscali thats why i am with them.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Ermmm your location is Long Beach.... but it sounds like you're in SA... what's the deal? 8O

I was with MWeb until recently when I switched to Telkom and got an ADSL line installed. Mweb were pretty decent and relatively cheap too. Never really had any problems with them.

I've never used any other ISP so I can't offer any more info, sorry...
Memphis_Raines

Post by Memphis_Raines »

Dont worry but thanks for the help anyways Leigh.
hows that? Just for the Nick name Memphis Raines Long beach i had the av but its been playing up. i havent got the money for adsl or isdn but at the rate im going with tiscali this might be an option
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

I procrastinated about getting ADSL simply because the rental of R680 seemed excessive. Not unaffordable, just excessive.

But then I kinda looked at how much I was spending on my phone bill each month - usually around R750 a month (I use the web a LOT). That, plus the R40 or so for the R7 call plan and my ISP cost of R145 is pretty much the same cost as the ADSL rental and ISP cost for Telkom now. So essentially, I am paying the same but now I have nice fast, 24-hour web access here at home :) So ADSL is actually not as expensive as it may seem ;)
Last edited by Leigh on 05 Aug 2004, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Don't forget to charge them for the interest on the 2k. It is not much but it is the principal that counts.
Memphis_Raines

Post by Memphis_Raines »

Don't forget to charge them for the interest on the 2k. It is not much but it is the principal that counts.
Nah at the mo I am just interested in getting the cash back. One things for sure tho. They arent going to have my business in future.
But then I kinda looked at how much I was spending on my phone bill each month - usually around R750 a month (I use the web a LOT). That, plus my ISP cost of R145 is pretty much the same cost as the ADSL rental and ISP cost for Telkom now.
Come to think of it this looks about the same as my totals each month. Tell me tho Leigh. Is R 750 your absolute total cost each month? I wouldnt mind getting adsl even though there is a 3 gig cap. I dont download stuff off kazza r things like that. Prefer to buy the originals.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Well, I don't remember how much the Telkom ISP cost is, but in total I think the whole cost for my web each month now is somewhere just over R900 (so that basically includes the ADSL line rental and the ISP cost).

As for the 3Gb cap - frankly I don't see why people fuss about it. As far as I am concerned, the only way you will actually reach that cap is if you sit around downloading illegal music, films and games/software off crap like kazaa. And those people have no right to complain because they are stealing.
Of course businesses could use up that cap quickly, but the average joe schmoe at home?

I use my connection for forums, research and email. And I use around 15-20Mb a day in usage. The only stuff I ever download are drivers, occasional software updates and the odd animation or two from the digital art forums that I run. At this rate, I'll never hit anywhere near that cap.
Memphis_Raines

Post by Memphis_Raines »

Problem is i earn about 4000 and i go rent food petrol phone bill etc to pay its a bit steep so ill just have to sit with the dial up connection then.
But again research is needed on potential isp's. i totally agree with you on the cap. its a good anti piracy measure i think. Goes to show how many people complain about it. Like you said we all know what they use thier connection for.
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Aaah okay, you're on a tight budget then. MWeb has a very well priced ISDN option - you might want to look into that.

I remember a thread a while back on these forums about good ISPs. I think there is one called XSI or something like that, which is really popular. Try a search here... you might find something useful :)
Memphis_Raines

Post by Memphis_Raines »

Thanks Leigh i will do that. I hope it isnt one of those half rate Isp;s like polka that cant do better than 32kbps
right now i get 48kbps but i used to get 50kbps in my old flat. So they arent too shabby for a standard dialup connection. i briefly went with absa and they were an absolute nightmare. but yeah i will definitely look into this one you said. Ok who here uses this and what speeds you get about?
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Telcom's ADSL ISP rates are R250/account/month so you can get more than one account then you have accounts*3GB bandwidth. The leasing of the ADSL line is about R750/month. Also they arethe cheapest when it comes to ADSL accounts. Already done the homework.
Memphis_Raines

Post by Memphis_Raines »

Yeah thanks for that Ruad but the thng is when you havent got such a great cashflow like me it can be a bit of a hassle. I am going to sleep on this tonight and then sort it out tomorrow. ill let you guys know what happened. Cheers
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

I understand the cashflow problem. Me I have to get by on a mere 2.5k/month so I am in the same club as you.