BMW Advice needed - e36 325tds vs 323/5

Motoring and transportation related discussions.
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Hawk21

BMW Advice needed - e36 325tds vs 323/5

Post by Hawk21 »

Hey Everyone,

Sometime in the next week or so ill be picking myself up a new daily driver, either the (both of them are the e36 model) 325tds or the 323/5 petrol model, Ive heard so many conflicted opinions on it (cost to repair, service, turbo issues) that i just don't know anymore.

(they'r both in very good condition but they each have +/- 180 000 k on the clock)

I was wondering if anyone here has any advice they might give me on which way i should be leaning for a reliable easy to maintain ride that wont give me too many hassles.

Thanks in advance for any replies i get.

Cheers
Reality is the Illusion we all agree upon
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Stay far away from BMW pre-e46 turbo diesel motors. They only sorted them out during the middle of the e46 period. The 323i is actually a 325i that's been detuned via the use of a ECU.

Those cars could be reliable, look at the FSH and see how many turbos 325tds has blown. But if either give problems, you're going to be paying a lot of money to fix them.

The only time I would be tempted to buy a second hand e36 model is if I knew exactly who drove it and how they drove it and what problems the car had.

If I were you I'd be leaning more towards the 323i, replacing the turbo charger in the 325tds is an expensive job.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Frozenfireside

Post by Frozenfireside »

I'll back that up. I've heard of blown turbos with the older 3 series happening quite often.
Soon Google will know everything...including how to divide by zero :(
Hawk21

Post by Hawk21 »

Yeah that pretty much settles it, the whole turbo business never sat right with me.

One of the main things attracting me to the 323 is as you say its a de-tuned 325, plus its the fastest revving engine in the bunch

Well ill be having a look at a 323 in the morning so hopefully its not in as bad a condition as the one i saw this morning (one mag and the rest all standard? its a fashion statement no really - yes they actually said this!)

Well thanks guys fingers crossed for tomorrow and hopefully ill be able to post a pic of my brand new liability :P
i_r_baboon

Post by i_r_baboon »

I got a 325ti in excellent condition selling for R120 000

109 000 k
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

Baboon, sorry man but that price is crazy. If you ever manage to sell it for that much money let me know, I'll come to you for help next time I need to sell a car. :P

I'll even give you commission.

You can get a 2005 model 330i e46 with about 100k km for a bit more than that. Because of the interest rate hike, you can pick up really good deals these days.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
i_r_baboon

Post by i_r_baboon »

Hex_Rated wrote:Baboon, sorry man but that price is crazy. If you ever manage to sell it for that much money let me know, I'll come to you for help next time I need to sell a car. :P

I'll even give you commission.

You can get a 2005 model 330i e46 with about 100k km for a bit more than that. Because of the interest rate hike, you can pick up really good deals these days.
Yeah that's true about the interest rate hike and cars decreasing in value, I think everybody is feeling a pinch, I know of a few people in trouble, it isn't a urgent sale but if it was to be sold then ideally to pay it off. It isn't my car but a family members.
Hawk21

Post by Hawk21 »

Yeah that price is a little high im afraid :?

Your best bet would be taking a look at autotrader/cars4sale and seeing how much they generally go for, but you never know, it always depends on what condition the car is in.

Let me tell ya, looking around town ive seen some pretty horrid examples and theres a reason they go cheap :P

Anyone out there with an e36 (heck any bmw) post a pic, im curious to see a few member rides while im crossing my fingers waiting for mine to come through
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

I'm driving (well sort of, I can't really drive properly yet) a '97 charcoal black e36 323i (A) at the moment, it's borrowed from a family member, I'll take pictures of it when it's clean and post them, it's very dirty at the moment.

I had a pimped out silver 2003 model e46 320i (2.2l 6 cyl) with colour coded bumpers and a very, very dark tint. It looked like the coupe, in fact I think the bumpers were from the coupe. But I wrapped that around a tow truck (which is why I can't really drive 100% yet, but I still try though :P).

The e36 and e46 BMWs still felt like BMW's, I've test driven a 2008 330d and the suspension doesn't feel the same. The drive isn't as smooth as the previous models at all. The e46 had an extremely smooth ride, the e36 has as well. When I'm back to normal I want either a new shape 330d or, I sort of had my eye on the 135i but I normally buy my cars with a few 1000km on the clock / demo models and they still really new.

There's supposed to be a 6 month waiting list on the 135i, but I get guys from BMW phoning me all the time offering me cars. I think a few people ordered before the interest rate fluctuation and now can't afford them any more.

So the best time to buy a car is around now... Especially because a lot of people are desperately selling what they can't afford. You should be able to pick up a really nice e36 323i/325i for around R50k-R60k. Just be careful, if the car blows it's engine / electronics / gearbox it'll cost you like R10k-R20k a pop. Also services are expensive.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
enigma_ocza

Post by enigma_ocza »

black 2001 bmw 320d, sportspack, brand new turbo, exc condition, 180k kms. FSH

70K? ;)
Hawk21

Post by Hawk21 »

But I wrapped that around a tow truck
Ouch! damn bud at least your ok, or on your way to getting there, hope you get sorted soon :)

the most interesting entanglement ive had has been with a izuzu bakkie in jan this year while i was driving my 97 Opel Kadett (2 days after i bought it and without a hint of insurance to speak of)

Suffice to say i learnt a lesson or two that day heh

Ive really got my heart set on a 323, like you say looking after a bm is a bit pricier than most other cars, but i tell ya, not alot of cars come close to giving you the same feeling when your behind the wheel

And i know what you mean about the newer bm's they're nice but its almost like its missing something, its a bit hard to tell what, they're still great drivers cars though. Gotta say though the 135 is definately a very nice piece of machinery!

Go give yours a wash and give us a pic mate :wink:
black 2001 bmw 320d, sportspack, brand new turbo, exc condition, 180k kms. FSH

70K? Wink
Haha not bad at all bud, just a tad out my range at the moment, been pouring most of my funds into my MR2 (for the love of god everyone stay away from import cars :wink: ) So im looking for something in the 50k range, stick it in the autotrader and im sure itl sell like hot cakes!