You have entered your password in to many times...

Got a suggestion for the board? Post it in here.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Please solve the captcha... :lol:

Only I can't, because I'm logging in from my cellphone... Have you ever tried to drag and drop stuff from a cellphone, or better, a touch screen?! :eyebrow:

Not to mention that the same tests are recurring and therefore seem kinda pointless :?

Please can we have a recaptchaand not a homebrew system?

Thanks.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: You have entered your password in to many times...

Post by Ron2K »

reCAPTCHA has been cracked and is therefore worthless. The current CAPTCHA does the job at letting the majority of humans in and keeping the majority of the bots out; until the bots crack it, it's staying.

If your phone browser doesn't support the CAPTCHA properly, get a better phone browser. If your phone doesn't support any such browsers, get a better phone.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Oh that's a cop out if I ever saw one!

You can't use it on a mobile device! It's got bugger all to do with what phone I'm using... That it happens to be a One X with Opera Mobile and that I've tested it on the stock browser and that you ignored the fundamental flaw I pointed out (You can't drag and drop on a touch screen), pretty much tosses your argument in the trash!

Why don't you try it on your phone!?

Recaptcha has been patched... It doesn't repeat the question... that makes it instantly better than the homebrew one you implemented!

It's like making your own combination lock to secure your offices because someone picked the abloy but only people with small fingers can actually work the dials and ignoring the complaints from the other 20% of your employees :|
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

The points made in my previous post still stand; the CAPTCHA will not be changed.

End of discussion.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Perhaps I am missing something, but what does the ability to drag and drop have to do with captcha?
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

If you log in via your PC and then via your phone again, won't you be able to enter your password without having to solve the captcha?

Also, I was not aware that recaptcha has been "cracked" and rendered useless?
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Bladerunner wrote:Also, I was not aware that recaptcha has been "cracked" and rendered useless?
Circa January 2011.

For the record, I used to use reCAPTCHA here until around that time -- we figured out that it had been broken after a large and persistent surge in spambot registrations, and some quick Google searches confirmed it. It went unnoticed by the regular users due to new posters having to have their first post approved by a moderator, but it was a massive admin/mod headache until I swapped the CAPTCHA out.
Last edited by Ron2K on 03 Jun 2012, 23:01, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Citation added.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

Ron2K wrote:
Bladerunner wrote:Also, I was not aware that recaptcha has been "cracked" and rendered useless?
Circa January 2011.

For the record, I used to use reCAPTCHA here until around that time -- we figured out that it had been broken after a large and persistent surge in spambot registrations, and some quick Google searches confirmed it. It went unnoticed by the regular users due to new posters having to have their first post approved by a moderator, but it was a massive admin/mod headache until I swapped the CAPTCHA out.
Yes, but Google patched it before these researchers even gave their talk on the method, apparently.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

That was more recent - the flaw that was being exploited was with the audio assistance aspect and google have patched the security hole relating to that.

http://m.h-online.com/security/news/ite ... -classic=1
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Bladerunner wrote:If you log in via your PC and then via your phone again, won't you be able to enter your password without having to solve the captcha?
More likely he forgot his password.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Why do you need to use the Captcha that often? I use both the PC and Opera Mobile and never have to use it. The problems seems restricted to registrations on mobile phones.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W