Proposed meet 19th september at germiston lake

Want to meet other forum members? This is where events are planned, and where embarrassing photos are posted. :twisted:
Forum rules
The global forum rules are found here.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Re: Proposed meet 19th september at germiston lake

Post by Monty »

Tribble wrote:Monty, I know which was you - couldn't miss that cute face :twisted: - what I meant is - Was your boat cement too?
I used the modcon cement boat, which was modelled on a Javelin K1
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Tribble wrote:
Prime wrote:
Tribble wrote:Oh those are really cool. What sort of boat were you in Monty? And why don't we have pics of Prime in his boat on the water?
Because those photo's were taken by ModCon and Our Boat was sponsored by Basil Reed and Afrisam :)
Ah I see - now where are your photos?

On my dads camera I think. I still need to upload them to FB. Problem is that the videos are HD and 30megs each :(
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Monty, ah - that explains it.

Prime, those are large. You will need to convert them or your cap will be gobbled up lol
gifs

Post by gifs »

Were you allowed to use wood this year?

When I did this (back in 2005) we weren't allowed to use anything like wood.

My team came second, after a boat from TUKS which I swear had more fibreglass than concrete, but anyway.

We used perlite as coarse aggregate and cenospheres (microscopic hollow glass balls) for fine aggregate.
We then used duraglass mat for reinforcing, it is normally used to give plaster some tensile strength.

It was a hell of a lot work but great fun in the end.

What University were you with (I am assuming UJ as they normally have the project management class enter the competition, rather than the concrete tech class)
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win you are still retarded
Prime

Post by Prime »

gifs wrote:Were you allowed to use wood this year?

When I did this (back in 2005) we weren't allowed to use anything like wood.

My team came second, after a boat from TUKS which I swear had more fibreglass than concrete, but anyway.

We used perlite as coarse aggregate and cenospheres (microscopic hollow glass balls) for fine aggregate.
We then used duraglass mat for reinforcing, it is normally used to give plaster some tensile strength.

It was a hell of a lot work but great fun in the end.

What University were you with (I am assuming UJ as they normally have the project management class enter the competition, rather than the concrete tech class)
:D Yes, UJ.

I'm not sure about the wood. I know you can't use it to give the cement any sort of structural strength, so i'm not sure I see an alternative way to use it.

We used Biddim, High stength cement and in some of our mix, pearlite. Mr Kruger reckons that tuks has been racing the same boat for 3 years and is launching an investigation :lol:

We painted ours to look like it was made from wood and tar. unfortunately plascon's definition of maple is terracotta coloured :x

Our boat came about 8th in the final :D

It was great fun :mrgreen:
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

I really wish the modcon boat hadn't had those struts. They where as uncomfortable as hell.

And their boat was way too heavy. I'm willing to place a bet that they could have slashed the weight at 20 to 25kgs and still had a structurally sound boat.

*goes back to his nice and light, fibreglass canoe.
Eat wake suckers ;-)
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
gifs

Post by gifs »

Prime wrote: :D Yes, UJ.

I'm not sure about the wood. I know you can't use it to give the cement any sort of structural strength, so i'm not sure I see an alternative way to use it.

We used Biddim, High stength cement and in some of our mix, pearlite. Mr Kruger reckons that tuks has been racing the same boat for 3 years and is launching an investigation :lol:

We painted ours to look like it was made from wood and tar. unfortunately plascon's definition of maple is terracotta coloured :x

Our boat came about 8th in the final :D

It was great fun :mrgreen:
I did civil engineering at UJ and I was the only civil guy in our team, so basically I had to design/build the thing on my own as the others weren't too keen on getting their hands dirty. They did organise some sponsors though.

I will see if I still have some pics, of the Tuks boat too, then you can see if they still use the same one.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics, even if you win you are still retarded
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

gifs wrote: I will see if I still have some pics, of the Tuks boat too, then you can see if they still use the same one.
Well they obviously have a winning recipe so you can't blame them if they are using either the same boat or the same design each year? :twisted:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Prime

Post by Prime »

gifs, i'm an electrical. But i ended up coming up with the design, and chasing sponsors and doing alot of the building and painting. :? At least everyone in the group got their hands dirty in the end. But frak, i'm over projects now.

doo_much, using a winning design and recreating it, is one thing; using the exact same boat each and every year is out and out cheating in my books. And besides, its not in the spirit of the competition. We could easily have spent 2 grand buying a boat from the previous year.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Didn't say it wasn't cheating and yes, it is definitely not the spirit of the competition.

I did say you can't blame them! :twisted:

Bet you had more fun than they did though?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Prime

Post by Prime »

doo_much wrote:Didn't say it wasn't cheating and yes, it is definitely not the spirit of the competition.

I did say you can't blame them! :twisted:

Bet you had more fun than they did though?
Totally. Beer + Braai plus working outside :mrgreen: