Sidebar

Questions about the forums? Got a suggestion on how things can be improved? Post here!

Would you join a new forum that excludes PCF's existing database?

Yes
68%
No
21%
Let's start a Facebook Group instead so we can exclude rustypup
11%

Total votes: 19

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Sidebar

Post by Stuart »

Hi all,

As has been discussed elsewhere, PCF SA is officially shutting its doors. The possibility was raised of us keeping the existing forum database but moving it to another domain entirely unrelated to PCF. We put up a poll in that other thread trying to gauge interest i moving to another domain completely.

A staggering 14 people (so far) said they would like to see the forum moved but the database kept.
An astonishing two would prefer a fresh start.
One emo character reckons it's not even worth starting over, regardless of the database.
One ambivalent character opted to check in occasionally, with the likelihood of forgetting the new forum exists eventually.
Three conspiracy theorists still believe PCF's closure was an elaborate April Fool's prank.

Word has since come to us that the Powers That Be intend to keep the forum alive as is for now, so that takes the option of moving the database to a new domain out of the equation.

The question is (poll included), should we even bother abandoning these shores in search of fresh sidebars elsewhere? iRon is willing to set us up fresh at sidebar.org.za, where we would begin with a fresh slate. But we would have, it seems, at most, a whopping 20 contributors--three of whom would still insist that PCF is not shutting down.

Is there any merit in casting out for a Brave New World? Have your say . . .
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Re: Sidebar

Post by KALSTER »

I suspect that third option will horribly distort the outcome of the poll.

I vote to keep the forum as is for now, with the Sidebar option on the cards when the hammer eventually does fall. OR the axe rather.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

I'm all for it personally
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

That 3rd option should be hard formatted from the face of the earth. I haven't tread those unholy grounds for ages and while I no longer play World of Warcraft my eternal hatred for facebook burns with a matching blue flame.

Should probably say, the forum originally gathered people of the same interest and we all bought PCF at one time or another. A lot of people have moved on. Why don't we ask Asus za if we can get a RoG forum? Maybe we can even get sponcered RoG gear? :P (ps MSI still better)
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

StarBound wrote:Why don't we ask Asus za if we can get a RoG forum? Maybe we can even get sponcered RoG gear? :P (ps MSI still better)
OOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooooooo........... interesting.
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

StarBound wrote:(ps MSI still better)
:slap:
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Interesting how the votes here are completely different to the ones in the other thread. WTF?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

personally voted on independent fresh start, but not without first considering whether GEAR would do what PCF failed to... drive traffic to the forums....

almost voted the 3rd option because i have no idea what a farcebook is...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Nothing precludes us from implementing all three options. We could remain here =- and start somewhere else afresh and do the FB thing as some of us are there anyway. Covering all the bases - and interested to see which one survives.
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

The poll is a little bit slanted though. The question is whether you would join a fresh forum, assuming that the database can't be included. People still prefer for it to come along as far as I can see.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Ark
Processor: E4400
Graphics card: 8800GTX
Memory: 4GB DDR2

Post by Ark »

I havr nothing to add. Just wanted to be part of the conversation.
16-bit Corpse
Spoiler: (show)
I like scrota.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

We heart you ark.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

You are welcome here - always :D
Tolklein

Post by Tolklein »

Wow, haven't been here for a while.
Sad news about the PCF mag, just got my consolation mag, braintainment and thought I'd troll (Do the kids still use "troll") the forums for old times sake.
Either way without a PCFormat Magazine to back the forum, it maybe be better for a change to something like "sidebar.org.za". Best case it'll inject new life into the forum community, worst case it'll be as uneventful as the Ogame universe merges of 2011.

Discarding or keeping the database seems a bit of a non-issue, although it gives the illusion of a busy forum if kept.

In my personal capacity I do have more time these days as I'm overpaid and underworked, if for nothing more than *****'s and giggles.
I like the sidebar name, Kudos to the brainfart that brought it to the table.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

For what things are worth: Stuart, Anakha and myself have been doing a lot of behind-the-scenes work to get sidebar.org.za up and running. It's pretty much setup in terms of functionality (and is accessible via the aforementioned URL) but does need a few visual tweaks (read: needs better logo!). Unfortunately, progress has stalled there (Anakha is restricted by an overzealous corporate policy, Stuart has just re-reproduced, and I'm snowed under with work and real life commitments), but people can go ahead and start using it so long.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Awesome!
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Does new posts/topics need approval on sidebar? Made a thread, but it's not showing?
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Hman wrote:Does new posts/topics need approval on sidebar? Made a thread, but it's not showing?
Yes -- the limit is 1 post, same as here (well, at least, it was set to 1 post when I handed over admin duties). I've just approved everything over in the queue over on the other side.

I do apologise in advance if posts aren't approved timeously over there: it's a "lack of hands on deck" problem (as well as a "Ronny is frikken busy" problem -- thankfully, my client with the insane deadline will have his project completed in a few weeks). If anyone else gets stuck in the queue and it hasn't been looked at for a reasonable period of time, feel free to spam me (my contact details are here, I seem to recall switching incoming PMs off here) until I sort it out. If it's becomes really problematic, I can discuss with Stuart and Anakha the possibility of giving some people permission to handle the post moderation queue.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

oooo!
Registered. Is it tapatalk compatible iRon? :P
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

My apologies all :(. As Ron mentioned my Internet access at work has been heavily restricted and is now heavily monitored (company wide, not just me) and due to this I only have Web access on my phone when at work.

@Monty no Tapatalk just yet. Ron got swamped with work at about that point in development.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Owing to lack of use, sidebar.org.za has been removed and is no longer available. Any requests will return HTTP status code 410.
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

Hey Ron! What's up? It's nice seeing you here.