Which 3G Modem to get?

Questions about the forums? Got a suggestion on how things can be improved? Post here!
eM_Fred

Which 3G Modem to get?

Post by eM_Fred »

HI All,
I am currently using a Vodafone huawei k3565z 3G modem [3,5 mb/ps]
for my normal browsing this card has worked perfectly, however download speeds arent satisfactory, therefor im looking into getting a 'better/faster' card.
i recently signed up with 8ta [20 gb per month deal], and am running windows 7, and use safari as a browser.

which would be the best card and model for me to get i have full coverage , so that isnt an issue.
im looking at the price range of R300-850.
I was initially considering a 21mb/ps unit, someone told me however that the max speed available localally is 7mb/ps. is this statement true :?: and if this is so, will it be worth the effort and expense getting a new unit :?: :?
any and all advise appreciated.
fred
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Re: Which 3G Modem to get?

Post by Stuart »

eM_Fred wrote:use safari as a browser.
Why?
eM_Fred wrote:I was initially considering a 21mb/ps unit, someone told me however that the max speed available localally is 7mb/ps. is this statement true :?: and if this is so, will it be worth the effort and expense getting a new unit :?: :?
Let's look at this logically. Assume that someone was correct about 7mbps being the fastest. With speeds increasing incrementally, 7mbps would probably not be the fastest forever. At some point, higher speeds would be a reality, at which point you would no doubt be looking for a new modem to take advantage of the then-higher speeds. How, then, would getting the 21mbps modem not be useful at this stage?
eM_Fred

Post by eM_Fred »

Well put. And was always leaning towards that option. My question however remains, which brand, model, spec would be the best option here? Given also, that i would most likely refrain from having to change it again a few months down the line. In addition, with mobile connectivity and stability being a key part, which other mediums have i perhaps foolishly overlooked?
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

eM_Fred wrote: which other mediums have i perhaps foolishly overlooked?
you mean *aside* from fixed-line ADSL which offers sustained throughput?

and why safari? everyone knows the only browser worth its salt is emacs/w3 or w3m :roll: :lol:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

rustypup wrote: and why safari? everyone knows the only browser worth its salt is emacs/w3 or w3m :roll: :lol:

Code: Select all

apt-get install lynx
I'd use that over Safari anyday. :wink:
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker