Everything's different - what happened?

Questions about the forums? Got a suggestion on how things can be improved? Post here!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Re: Everything's different - what happened?

Post by Anakha56 »

Ron2K wrote: Sure. Lemme just add Zana's avatar to the top-right quick.
hamin did say he would "hit it" if the offer was made, so sure why not? :P
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

GreyWolf wrote:The guys from the UK can take a long walk off a short pier.

PCF SA had a better site AND better forum. I say "had" because it seems they are now being handled by tech radar, so don't have anything of their own any more.
what do you mean "being handled by Tech Radar?"
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Ron2K wrote:
Anakha56 wrote:
GreyWolf wrote: possibly involving a woman, a bikini and a reclining position.
BEST IDEA YET!!! RON GET CRACKING!!!

:P
Sure. Lemme just add Zana's avatar to the top-right quick.

:run4hills:
Rather put a pic of Sarina Valentina there then.

Google if you're not afraid.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

SAGE

Post by hamin_aus »

Hman wrote:Rather put a pic of Sarina Valentina there then.
Add Bailey Jay to the mix and you get my vote.

//I don't need to Google that shizz, son...
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

KillerByte wrote:what do you mean "being handled by Tech Radar?"
I mean if you go to www.pcformat.co.uk.. it takes you to pcformat.techradar.co.uk . Seems they were bought out or something.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote:
KillerByte wrote:what do you mean "being handled by Tech Radar?"
I mean if you go to http://www.pcformat.co.uk.. it takes you to pcformat.techradar.co.uk . Seems they were bought out or something.
Your post seemed to indicate that PCF SA was "handled by Tech Radar." Had me confused briefly too.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

ahhh... I see. Sorry for my grammar my bad today is.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Nab »

Hi all, I will try my best to reiterate what Ron posted at the beginning but first things first; I know you all miss Cameron, Tamsin, Mars, Tom Bombadil etc. I have heard it ad nauseuam and I pray that when I am gone my legacy will be used to torture the new sucker, I mean editor.

Regarding the G3AR brand this is the story: Future Publishing in the UK own Techradar and the PCFormat brand and always have. Last year for the first time, amongst some very tough conditions for the Brittish print industry, Future finally made its first profits in on-line publishing largely because of Techradar. Since they own the PCF brand and every other PCFormat licensee on the planet points back to Techradar if we want a website it cant be PCFormat. I am really sorry if you think it's New Coke or an epic fail but if you prefer the alternative you are welcome to redirect your browser to Techradar.

Additionally myself and the rest of us who kill ourselves for this brand regardless of its current name are really getting tired of a minority of individuals that contribute nothing beyond negative sentiment to these forums. These forums are owned by a private company and while we strive for a fair environment where free speech is the currency of the day, our readers are our priority and we don't owe trolls anything. Make no mistake, by readers I mean the folks who read the magazine and the new portal and come here looking for a friendly, positive place to share their interests. What happens when they are greeted by the insipid vitriol of a few squeaky wheels that buy the mag once in a while if ever just to complain about how much it's gone down the tubes? I'm not kidding and this may well be my first threat around here but it guts my team when they work way beyond their mandate only to have their hard work torn apart. Any more of this negative rubbish from people that think these forums belong to them and they are going to be leaving with three shoes.

My team are all out here - you know our names and by now you should know that if you have an issue with the magazine/website send an email and we will do everything within our power to fix it.

Hope that helps

Nic
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Who is Tom Bombadil?
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Ok I've been pointed here and there and no black and white answer has been given so lets try a yes no answer.

Is the PCF mag going to be renamed to gear?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
jee

Post by jee »

I see i have loads to read... Oh by the way, sitting in Amsterdam reading a nicked SA Airways mag Loinfruit suddenly exclaimed!

"Oi, this computer article is written by Granma's boy!" Boy but we were proud xd
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

StarBound wrote:Ok I've been pointed here and there and no black and white answer has been given so lets try a yes no answer.

Is the PCF mag going to be renamed to gear?
Does it really matter that much? Is your allegiance to a name that great?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Stuart wrote: Does it really matter that much? Is your allegiance to a name that great?
Nah I tried to troll and GreyWolf went and made a awesome suggestion... Now Ron where is the babe posing by the G3AR banner? Priorities man! Fix the broken stuff later we want our female character! :P
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Stuart wrote:Who is Tom Bombadil?
Lord of the Rings? Really you need a education old mouse :P.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

*scolded*

Sorry Nab, I tend to overreact to the internet. Won't happen again. I really do appreciate the work you guys do.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
Nab
G3AR Magazine Editor

Post by Nab »

Aw it's all good. Just want everybody to know we are here and there's nothing we want more than happy readers. Am thinking of ways to get everyone more involved, possibly ways that involve beer. I would even open up the main site for you for you guys and girls submit content if anyone was interested. Anyhoo, it's been another 17 hour day and it's up at 6 to check the August colour dummy and shout at KB.
What you see written above is my opinion and not that of the peeps that put food on my plate.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Nab wrote: I would even open up the main site for you for you guys and girls submit content
Prepare for an epic outpour of butthurt should that ever happen.

Also, I have been working on a 1950000 word thesis entitled "Why all Apple products and their user-base should be stuffed into cannons and fired at the sun" and I have been looking for somewhere to publish it... if you are interested :?:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Anakha56 wrote:
Stuart wrote:Who is Tom Bombadil?
Lord of the Rings? Really you need a education old mouse :P.
Oh, lulz, I thought it was the name of the first editor or something and an epic coincidence. I must've left my humour at the office last night. :oops:
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Style updates:
  • Fixed posted image cut-off problem reported here. CTRL+F5 may be required to refresh the style's CSS.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
jee

Post by jee »

Kieron, not only the search facility on the forum, but the whole selection toolbar on the website needs to be clearer. Once's choices for the types of consoles etc almost disappears on the black background
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

jee wrote:Kieron, not only the search facility on the forum, but the whole selection toolbar on the website needs to be clearer. Once's choices for the types of consoles etc almost disappears on the black background
I was in the online dept. the other day and i glimpsed a few tweaks to the site specifically that problem being addressed. Watch this space.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Besides, iRon is not responsible for the main site. ;)
jee

Post by jee »

I thought the Yster was responsible for everything :D In any case... if the Lurker knows, the rest will follow :)
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

If you see an error or a problem on the main site (i.e. everthing that is not the forums) then give Nic, Brett or myself a shout. We will then bring it up with the development team and they will fix it.

If you see something wrong with the forums then who you gonna call? Your friendly neighbourhood Won Won aka Ron2k The Super Admin.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Nope I'm gonna call the Ghost busters to sort out the gremlins...

On a serious note. All and dandy but this blue on blue on white with a tad of black background is actually getting to me. It looks like 2 sites from 2 companies just slapped together at the last minute. Which I guess it was... Oh and KB... got a bug for you on the main site. The text and images in the news tends to show up larger than the left column actually is. So it tends to go underneath the layer on the right hand side containing the latest news and the cover of the mag.
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932