A request to the forum

Questions about the forums? Got a suggestion on how things can be improved? Post here!
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

A request to the forum

Post by Ron2K »

Hi all,

I've been receiving a lot of private messages lately regarding various forum things, and I'd like to request that you lot please rather post your problems in the forum instead of sending me PMs all the time, even if you know that I can answer your question.

There's several reasons for this:
  1. Any question that's good enough to be asked of one forum team member will also be of value to the rest of the forum. The inverse scenario is also true: if you suspect that your question is too dumb for the forum, it's no excuse to harass individual users.
  2. Asking your questions on the forum distributes the load amongst those who can answer your question. The individual user (particularly the busier forum team members, such as myself) may be too busy to give you an answer.
  3. Any user who wishes to ask the same question in future can find the thread on the forum and read it instead of asking the same question again.
  4. I'm in the process of compiling a PCF specific FAQ (to complement the board's own FAQ). If certain questions are seen to be asked often, that information can be used to improve the FAQ. However, if those questions are asked in private, no-one will have the complete picture of what gets asked most often.
The only time when it's acceptable to PM a forum team member is when there's private information involved that should remain private. If you PM me (or anyone else) with something that could have been asked on the forum, I will either ask you to post your question on the forum or ignore you completely.

Thanks.
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: A request to the forum

Post by hamin_aus »

YGPM ;)
Prime

Post by Prime »

Ron, is there a specific thread for members to do this or a specific thread you would recommend they do it in?

Maybe you want to stick this notice or make it an announcement?

8)
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Post all requests in the English spam thread. Ron will wade through post by post every day and attend to all requests appropriately.
Prime

Post by Prime »

I Lol'd :twisted:
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Stuart wrote:Post all requests in the English spam thread. Ron will wade through post by post every day and attend to all requests appropriately.
Hmmm - NO?

The right thread for sensible questions, answers and discussion is HERE
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

In all seriousness, I think it would help to use one of the threads where everyone has been making requests (Welcome to the New Forum?) but for an admin to keep the first post updated with all requests so as to minimise repeats.

Actually, that'll never happen, because people don't search before posting. Never mind.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

UberAdmin's FAQ is p'bably the best idea - but how to get people to read it? :?

Maybe a PM to all existing users and then an automated one to whomever else joins, saying "He pillock - FAQ is here. Ask dumb questions and you will be banned!" ?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Prime

Post by Prime »

Just Put the FAQ up as an announcement. then it is at the top of every forum and page...

oh and much like the eula in windows, post it so that anyone joining has to read it. and further like some programs, make the reader have to scroll to the very bottom before they can click accept? :lol:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Prime wrote:oh and much like the eula in windows
You want to make it illegal for someone else to use the same forum at the same time as you? :shock: Wow, this place would be dead then. :?
Prime

Post by Prime »

Stuart wrote:
Prime wrote:oh and much like the eula in windows
You want to make it illegal for someone else to use the same forum at the same time as you? :shock: Wow, this place would be dead then. :?
Silly mouse, your brain is to small to cope. best you stay in the PG's thread and the spam thread. Although given that you got lub(b)ed you might considered going into hiding full stop :evil4: