Office 2007

Questions about the forums? Got a suggestion on how things can be improved? Post here!
Furion
Location: in the last vestiges of sanity that my mind provides

Office 2007

Post by Furion »

Greetings all.

i had a copy of Office 2007 in beta. When the trial period expired i got office 2003 and downloaded and installed the compatibility patch that microsoft provided. My problem is that it doesn't open the docx files that office 2007 had created but it can save documents as a 2007 format.

i get an error when trying to open saying i dont have permission, or i dont have enough memory or that i should try open it in text recover mode. This mode only gives me code. Can anyone help me with trying to get it to open the files?

thanks
Give me a place to stand, and i shall move the earth.

Credits:
2567 forum points. (thanks to a special feline Tribble)
Firestrm for being my resident nut (Gracias Senor)
Badguy for the great sig.
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

LOL - I had the same thing.. u going to need to get someone with Office 2k7, open all your doc's and save them in old.doc format ;)
Temporary Absence
qace

Post by qace »

The secret is that you MUST have all the latest service packs and security updates installed before installing the Compatibilty Pack.
http://news.office-watch.com/t/n.aspx?a=85
Man with hand in pocket feel cocky all day.
- \\\\\\\"Ancient Chinese Proverbs\\\\\\\"
Furion

Post by Furion »

Damn. :(

Credits:
Furion

Post by Furion »

This is all well and good but where would i get the updates for my office? Im using the student and teacher edition 2003

Credits:
Anthro
Moderator Emeritus
Processor: i7 3770k
Motherboard: ASUS P8P67-Pro
Graphics card: 2xNvidia GTX670
Memory: 16 GB Gskill Sniper

Post by Anthro »

You have PM . . Hope that helps
Temporary Absence
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Okay, excuse me for resurrecting an old thread, but I assume it's not possible to change the default save option for 2003 compatibility? So I can't make my Word 2007 save to .doc format by default, rather than .docx? This compatibility pack story is going to create a lot of headaches!
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Yeah, I also hate the compatibility problems. If you find a way to get 07 docs to work with 03 please let me know! :D
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

When I was running the beta I found a way, can't remember where it was but it was there so the final release must have the option. Would be stupid not to have it.
Cameron_Losco
Moderator Emeritus

Post by Cameron_Losco »

To change the setting, click on the Office icon in the left hand top corner and click on <Application> Options (Where Application is either Word, Excel or Powerpoint). In the resulting window that is shown above, click on Save to customise the settings and in the Preserve the backup information for your documents section select Word 97-2003 Document (*.doc) from the drop down list next to Save Files in this format: option.

Taken from http://www.dharwadkar.com/weblog/file_formats
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Cameron_Losco wrote:To change the setting, click on the Office icon in the left hand top corner and click on <Application> Options (Where Application is either Word, Excel or Powerpoint). In the resulting window that is shown above, click on Save to customise the settings and in the Preserve the backup information for your documents section select Word 97-2003 Document (*.doc) from the drop down list next to Save Files in this format: option.

Taken from http://www.dharwadkar.com/weblog/file_formats
Voila! Thanks Cameron!
PsyCLown wrote:Yeah, I also hate the compatibility problems. If you find a way to get 07 docs to work with 03 please let me know!
There is a compatibility download on Microsoft's website which supposedly enables you to view 2007 format files in older versions of Office. Haven't tried it yet, but there you go.
PsyCLown

Post by PsyCLown »

Awsome, thanks Cameron!

Its mainly for school and stuff as at school they still use 2003. But the download will be useful for the n00bs. :P Maybe some of my friends might need it, thanks schase! :D
“The true bare of any man is his willingness to accept the consequences of his actions.” - iser0073

Spoiler (show)
APPARENTLY 92% Of Teens Have Moved On To Rap Music.
If You Are Part Of The 8% That Still Listen to real music then put this in your signature.