SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19)

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Prime

Re: SARS-CoV-2 (COVID-19)

Post by Prime »

hamin_aus wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 17:45
Prime wrote:Yeah, I've been looking at the way South Africans (Most anyway) responded to this, as well as the stark difference in leadership under Cyril during a crisis (vs the first world) and I'm slightly jealous :lol:
A broken clock is right twice a day.
Just because South Africa had the correct response to this doesn't mean they are in a better position to deal with it - medically or economically
While I strongly dislike ScoMo, he hasn't responded badly to this. He's obviously learned some lessons from his bushfire fiasco...
Also all states except NSW have been dealing with this situation competently. They may not have Ramaposa's flair, but what they do have are the resources to mitigate all the **** thats coming during and especially after this pandemic - which is more valuable.
I'm not jealous at all and feel fortunate to be where I am right now.
Well ScoMo can't exactly go on holiday anywhere. :lol: Yeah, SA still has a long way to go, hence the word slightly. :wink: I just feel like they took decisive action. Australia had the ability to stop the numbers and to do more to contain community to community transmission. Still they have done a lot more to contain it than the US or UK did.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

hamin_aus wrote: 04 Apr 2020, 17:45
Prime wrote:Yeah, I've been looking at the way South Africans (Most anyway) responded to this, as well as the stark difference in leadership under Cyril during a crisis (vs the first world) and I'm slightly jealous :lol:
A broken clock is right twice a day.
Just because South Africa had the correct response to this doesn't mean they are in a better position to deal with it - medically or economically
While I strongly dislike ScoMo, he hasn't responded badly to this. He's obviously learned some lessons from his bushfire fiasco...
Also all states except NSW have been dealing with this situation competently. They may not have Ramaposa's flair, but what they do have are the resources to mitigate all the **** thats coming during and especially after this pandemic - which is more valuable.
I'm not jealous at all and feel fortunate to be where I am right now.
Agree completely.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Prime wrote:Well ScoMo can't exactly go on holiday anywhere. :lol:
:lol: yeah but with travel bans for the foreseeable future, neither can we!
Prime wrote:Australia had the ability to stop the numbers and to do more to contain community to community transmission.
I think the only real failures were at state leve. NSW letting all those cruise ship passengers off untested to go into their communities was damn near criminal. People have died and someone needs to answer for it.
Other than that they have been pretty much on-point. We can argue timelines of when they implemented certain restrictions with the 20/20 benefit of hindsight, but overall they did okay.
I'm also not taking anything away from South Africa's swift and decisive action.

In some rather funny-but-shouldnt-be COVID-19 news, how about this:
BBC News wrote:
A Venezuelan navy coastal patrol boat sank in the Caribbean after allegedly ramming a cruise ship that it had ordered to change direction.

The owners of the Portuguese-flagged RCGS Resolute said the naval vessel Naiguata also fired shots in an "act of aggression in international waters”.

The collision left the cruise ship, which has a reinforced hull for sailing in icy waters, with only minor damage.

Venezuela accused the Resolute of an act of "aggression and piracy".

It also said it "did not rule out" that the cruise ship "was transporting mercenaries to attack military bases in Venezuela".

President Nicolás Maduro has previously accused the United States and other countries of plotting to overthrow him.

The incident took place near La Tortuga Island, a Venezuelan federal dependency, on 30 March.

Columbia Cruise Services, which operates the Resolute, said the cruise ship had been carrying out routine engine maintenance in international waters more than 13 nautical miles (24km) from La Tortuga.

A statement from the Hamburg-based company said that shortly after midnight, the Naiguata radioed the Resolute, questioning its intentions, and ordered the captain to follow it to a port on Isla Margarita, to the east.

"While the master was in contact with the head office, gunshots were fired and, shortly thereafter, the navy vessel approached the starboard side at speed... and purposely collided with the RCGS Resolute," it added.

"The navy vessel continued to ram the starboard bow in an apparent attempt to turn the ship’s head towards Venezuelan territorial waters."

Although the Resolute - a purpose-built polar expedition vessel - suffered minor damage, the patrol boat began taking on water after hitting its bulbous bow, according to the statement.

Columbia Cruise Services said the Resolute remained in the area for more than an hour and contacted rescue co-ordinators on the Dutch Caribbean island of Curaçao. All attempts to contact the Naiguata went unanswered and the Resolute eventually sailed to Willemstad on Curaçao, it added.

A statement by the Venezuelan military (in Spanish) accused the Resolute of "cowardly and criminal" behaviour, "since it did not attend to the rescue of the crew".

It said all the crew of the Naiguata had been rescued, but did not give details.

Defence Minister Vladimir Padrino López accused the Resolute of ramming the vessel, "which caused its sinking".

President Maduro said an investigation had been launched and he expected "maximum collaboration" from authorities in Curaçao.
Good to see Venezuela's military is as competent as its government :lol:
Prime

Post by Prime »

hamin_aus wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 05:34
Prime wrote:Well ScoMo can't exactly go on holiday anywhere. :lol:
:lol: yeah but with travel bans for the foreseeable future, neither can we!
Prime wrote:Australia had the ability to stop the numbers and to do more to contain community to community transmission.
I think the only real failures were at state leve. NSW letting all those cruise ship passengers off untested to go into their communities was damn near criminal. People have died and someone needs to answer for it.
Other than that they have been pretty much on-point. We can argue timelines of when they implemented certain restrictions with the 20/20 benefit of hindsight, but overall they did okay.
I'm also not taking anything away from South Africa's swift and decisive action.

In some rather funny-but-shouldnt-be COVID-19 news, how about this:
BBC News wrote:
A Venezuelan navy coastal patrol boat sank in the Caribbean after allegedly ramming a cruise ship that it had ordered to change direction.

The owners of the Portuguese-flagged RCGS Resolute said the naval vessel Naiguata also fired shots in an "act of aggression in international waters”.

The collision left the cruise ship, which has a reinforced hull for sailing in icy waters, with only minor damage.

Venezuela accused the Resolute of an act of "aggression and piracy".

It also said it "did not rule out" that the cruise ship "was transporting mercenaries to attack military bases in Venezuela".

President Nicolás Maduro has previously accused the United States and other countries of plotting to overthrow him.

The incident took place near La Tortuga Island, a Venezuelan federal dependency, on 30 March.

Columbia Cruise Services, which operates the Resolute, said the cruise ship had been carrying out routine engine maintenance in international waters more than 13 nautical miles (24km) from La Tortuga.

A statement from the Hamburg-based company said that shortly after midnight, the Naiguata radioed the Resolute, questioning its intentions, and ordered the captain to follow it to a port on Isla Margarita, to the east.

"While the master was in contact with the head office, gunshots were fired and, shortly thereafter, the navy vessel approached the starboard side at speed... and purposely collided with the RCGS Resolute," it added.

"The navy vessel continued to ram the starboard bow in an apparent attempt to turn the ship’s head towards Venezuelan territorial waters."

Although the Resolute - a purpose-built polar expedition vessel - suffered minor damage, the patrol boat began taking on water after hitting its bulbous bow, according to the statement.

Columbia Cruise Services said the Resolute remained in the area for more than an hour and contacted rescue co-ordinators on the Dutch Caribbean island of Curaçao. All attempts to contact the Naiguata went unanswered and the Resolute eventually sailed to Willemstad on Curaçao, it added.

A statement by the Venezuelan military (in Spanish) accused the Resolute of "cowardly and criminal" behaviour, "since it did not attend to the rescue of the crew".

It said all the crew of the Naiguata had been rescued, but did not give details.

Defence Minister Vladimir Padrino López accused the Resolute of ramming the vessel, "which caused its sinking".

President Maduro said an investigation had been launched and he expected "maximum collaboration" from authorities in Curaçao.
Good to see Venezuela's military is as competent as its government :lol:
:lol:

I work with some Venezuelan people. They couldn't be lovelier. Sadly, if you thought places in Africa were a beautiful train wreck, Venezuela is on fire, with passengers trapped inside, being operated by a mad man :|

Yeah, someone needs to be prosecuted for letting that cruise ship unload. That was an entirely containable situation. :headdesk:
Prime

Post by Prime »

Trump Admin. Changes Description Of National Stockpile To Match Kushner’s Claim

The phrase, Dumpster Fire doesn't begin to describe the US at the present time. :slap:
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Prime wrote: 05 Apr 2020, 14:33 Trump Admin. Changes Description Of National Stockpile To Match Kushner’s Claim

The phrase, Dumpster Fire doesn't begin to describe the US at the present time. :slap:
He - and his minions - never cease to make my draw drop
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Only in rural KZN... :roll:
A wedding day has turned into a nightmare for a KwaZulu-Natal bride and groom, as well as their wedding guests, who were arrested on Sunday for contravening lockdown regulations.

Love was not the only thing the couple took a chance on, as they went ahead with their special day despite regulations prohibiting gatherings of more than 50 people.

According to SAPS national spokesperson Brigadier Vish Naidoo, about 50 people, including the pastor and bridal couple, were arrested in Hlabisa during the ceremony.

“They are likely to be charged with the contravention of the regulations of the Disaster Management Act 2002,” Naidoo said.
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News ... y-20200405
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Haibo!
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

And the rand has improved somewhat.

Prime

Post by Prime »

Ron2K wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 10:45 Only in rural KZN... :roll:
A wedding day has turned into a nightmare for a KwaZulu-Natal bride and groom, as well as their wedding guests, who were arrested on Sunday for contravening lockdown regulations.

Love was not the only thing the couple took a chance on, as they went ahead with their special day despite regulations prohibiting gatherings of more than 50 people.

According to SAPS national spokesperson Brigadier Vish Naidoo, about 50 people, including the pastor and bridal couple, were arrested in Hlabisa during the ceremony.

“They are likely to be charged with the contravention of the regulations of the Disaster Management Act 2002,” Naidoo said.
https://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News ... y-20200405

**** ridiculous! 🤦🏼‍♂️ Stay the **** at home!

Did anyone see the ENCA clip? :lol:
Prime

Post by Prime »

hamin_aus wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 11:23Haibo!
No, we lost that. South Africans didn't understand Satire :cry:
Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Prime wrote: 06 Apr 2020, 13:28 Did anyone see the ENCA clip? :lol:
No, and now you've got me intrigued...
Prime

Post by Prime »

It's on my Facebook. Go look for it there. Couldn't find a YouTube or website link 😋
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Prime wrote: 07 Apr 2020, 06:57 It's on my Facebook. Go look for it there. Couldn't find a YouTube or website link 😋
Freaking hilarious clip that!
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I am a fopdoodle!

Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

In other news, our Health Minister had been a total idiot and blatantly broken the lockdown rules. Naturally, the Government (especially the Prime Minister) and general public are not taking this lying down...
Prime

Post by Prime »

Ron2K wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 10:35 In other news, our Health Minister had been a total idiot and blatantly broken the lockdown rules. Naturally, the Government (especially the Prime Minister) and general public are not taking this lying down...
Yeah, that's...career ending. :|
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

And back in good ol' ZA our own minister is merely put on 'speshul' leave for two months- one of which is paid.
Prime

Post by Prime »

I'm reading what's going on in the US and I can't believe what a bunch of incompetent **** they have running their country.

I'm not going to hold out hope that Trump will end up in jail over this. The republicans have so little spine they couldn't even be a jellyfish :/
Prime

Post by Prime »

Ron2K

Post by Ron2K »

Prime wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 13:50 I'm not going to hold out hope that Trump will end up in jail over this.
I'm genuinely surprised that Trump doesn't have COVID-19 himself, given that he's been in relatively close contact with people who have had it. Unless the White House has been hiding it, which is the part that wouldn't be surprising.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Ron2K wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 21:29
Prime wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 13:50 I'm not going to hold out hope that Trump will end up in jail over this.
I'm genuinely surprised that Trump doesn't have COVID-19 himself, given that he's been in relatively close contact with people who have had it. Unless the White House has been hiding it, which is the part that wouldn't be surprising.
I am a horrible person. I hoped he would get it just so that he would know what his people are going through and what he could have avoided. Not saying I wished he died from it - but he fits the odds. Naah - just wanted him to face reality a bit. Some people, when faced with their own mortality, change for the better.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Tribble wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 07:33
Ron2K wrote: 08 Apr 2020, 21:29
I am a horrible person. I hoped he would get it just so that he would know what his people are going through and what he could have avoided. Not saying I wished he died from it - but he fits the odds. Naah - just wanted him to face reality a bit. Some people, when faced with their own mortality, change for the better.
Theb only thing Trump will change is he version of events 5 minutes ago...

The (****, I refuse to dignify him with any adjective implying he's human) #### is a narcissistic sociopath.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Prime wrote: 09 Apr 2020, 10:51The (****, I refuse to dignify him with any adjective implying he's human) #### is a narcissistic sociopath.
Now tell us how you really feel :lol: :lol:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel