Gmail users have no expectation of privacy

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Gmail users have no expectation of privacy

Post by Stuart »

As if Edward Snowden hasn't done enough to highlight how vulnerable electronic communications are to surveillance, Google has made it clear that people who send or receive e-mail via Gmail should not expect their messages to remain private.

In a 39-page motion filed in June (see below) to have a class-action data-mining lawsuit dismissed, the Web giant cites Smith v. Maryland, a 1979 Supreme Court decision that upheld the collection of electronic communications without a warrant.

"Just as a sender of a letter to a business colleague cannot be surprised that the recipient's assistant opens the letter, people who use web-based email today cannot be surprised if their emails are processed by the recipient's [e-mail provider] in the course of delivery. Indeed, 'a person has no legitimate expectation of privacy in information he voluntarily turns over to third parties.'"

Read more
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Re: Gmail users have no expectation of privacy

Post by hamin_aus »

Yahoo and M$ were doing this before Google made it cool.

I happen to agree tho. If you use a free email service then you agree'd t the T&C's when you signed up that specifically mentioned that they will look at your content, so you need to STFU.

Nobody is forcing you to have a gmail account.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

That's why I use the safe, private and convenient Facebook for all my electronic communications.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Have had the same Yahoo account since about 2005.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

GreyWolf wrote:That's why I use the safe, private and convenient Facebook for all my electronic communications.
precisely...

added to which, smtp is clear-text. it's exposed by default - all the time, everywhere it goes.

although, expecting the majority of users to understand this is akin to expecting them to stop using email as a file-share service...

"but it's only 1.5 thingies!"
"1.5GB :/"
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

To be fair, the majority of users' eyes could glaze at the mention of "smtp is clear-text" 'cos they don't have your training/experience in the field.
Some of us are oblivious of what more tech-savvy folks expect us to know that we should know. If that makes any sense. :oops:

Perhaps users should have to pass regular exams to show that they understand what they are doing before being
granted the privilege of using some sort of computer at home and for their own porpoises for a given period? Might make life easier for tech. support.

So far as work is concerned, I hear there is something called Active Directory that we use here to control what staff members can do.
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

StarPhoenix wrote:Perhaps users should have to pass regular exams to show that they understand what they are doing before being granted the privilege of using some sort of computer at home and for their own porpoises for a given period? Might make life easier for tech. support.
I would say that 90% would not make it passed: "What internet browser do you use?"
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

I would say that 90% would not make it passed: "What internet browser do you use?"
Windows?

I have come across people who took it for granted that the full Microsoft Office Suite is part of Windows, and are dismayed to hear that they will have to shell out a hefty sum of money for it. [This is usually where I suggest alternatives to those who are not looking to run a business from home, or who are not pupils/students who have to use MS productivity software on pain of death....or worse.]
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote:
StarPhoenix wrote:Perhaps users should have to pass regular exams to show that they understand what they are doing before being granted the privilege of using some sort of computer at home and for their own porpoises for a given period? Might make life easier for tech. support.
Or even make it past that question. ;)
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

^^ *Like*

It screamed at me, but I only just resisted the urge to comment about it. 'Till now...
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
GreyWolf

Post by GreyWolf »

Fair enough. It is only just that a Nazi gets nazied
- H. L. Mancken