How do you nourish your body, brother?*

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

How do you nourish your body, brother?*

Post by D3PART3D »

Many of us don't really know what we should be eating. That's pretty much a big deal, don't you think? Let's all be healthy computer geeks.

Recommended by StarPhoenix and armed with some pro tips from Stuart, I decided I'd experiment with cooking poached eggs for breakfast this morning. The reasons: protein for breakfast and I want to avoid the inflammation caused by heating up plant oils, and I don't like boiled eggs if not on a sandwich or in a salad.

What I did wrong was have them on toast. I'm trying to avoid carbs as much as possible, especially wheat (trying to keep my insulin levels down). I think I'm either going to just limit myself to one slice or see how much I enjoy poached eggs by themselves.

I'm going to alternate this with granola and yogurt every morning.Dairy spikes insulin too, and oats are still carbs, but to help me stay on track this is a good idea I think. Insulin levels are lowest in the morning so it wouldn't be as bad, plus I'd have my need for a bit of variety seen to. Oh, and oats have all the goodness grains are supposed to have. (Paleo diet says grains = evil. Hmmm....) On top of that, 6000mg of Omega 3 salmon oil and a multivitamin.

LUNCH
I don't know :| I've stockpiled tinned tuna, apples and peanut butter (cored apples filled with PB FTW) I need ideas for this because I need to be mobile with lunch.

SUPPER
Fish, chicken, beef and low-carb veg. Mushrooms, tomatoes, oninons, spinnach, peppers. Doesn't sound very interesting, but I'm going for simplicity.

I'll stick to this during weekdays.
*sister.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
rustypup

Re: How do you nourish your body, brother?*

Post by rustypup »

D3PART3D wrote:Let's all be healthy computer geeks.
hamin just threw something at you... :lol:

don't:
  • use supplements, (in excess... once or twice a month is fine)

bomb vitamin pills - (they're magic beans in comparison to actual food and almost entirely unnecessary whilst also introducing risks...)

consume too much fish, (it's fine in moderation but there are risks of heavy metal exposure. also tastes like the underside of a hobo's shoe after a while )

compensate for exercise (nb!)
do:
  • get a minimum of 40 minutes of exercise a day

eat plenty of veg, (fresh or cooked the difference is negligible)

cut down on carbs, (once or twice a week is fine)

cut out sugar, (because it's a vicious cycle)

eat plenty of veg

drink water when thirsty. (there is no magical minimum daily water requirement)

eat meat. it's your friend. the tiny amount of cholesterol you may ingest from a fillet is *nothing* compared to what you body subjects itself to during stressful events. (and it's delicious)
shed 30kg in 6/7 months and have so far, (2+ years), managed to keep them at bay, (although i do see them whenever i pass by a pastry shop)
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

@DeeDee
Where did I say that you should poach eggs this morning? :scratch:

@Rusty:

Citations? :P
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Don't poach eggs - they are awful. Cook them in Coconut oil. It is the only oil that doesn't change when heated.

There is a lot of information out there about coconut oil vs olive and other oils. Some good - some bad. There is no proof that it is better for you though it doesn't contain cholesterol (which is a good thing). The reason I eat it is because it makes food taste really nice - esp eggs. And I have been able to lose a lot of weight even though I eat two fried eggs for breakfast every day. (23kgs and counting). Don't go for the rubber - go for the taste. It is not the good fats that make us fat and unhealthy - it is the bad carbs that do it.
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

Tribble wrote: There is a lot of information out there about coconut oil vs olive and other oils. Some good - some bad. There is no proof that it is better for you though it doesn't contain cholesterol (which is a good thing). The reason I eat it is because it makes food taste really nice - esp eggs. And I have been able to lose a lot of weight even though I eat two fried eggs for breakfast every day. (23kgs and counting). Don't go for the rubber - go for the taste. It is not the good fats that make us fat and unhealthy - it is the bad carbs that do it.
This is begging for a riposte... :twisted:
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Oh I am waiting for Puppy, Birdie :D He should be along shortly.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Tribble wrote:Oh I am waiting for Puppy
rational wiki says stop doing that...

avoid cooking anything in oil... it's called a non-stick pan... it's great at non-sticking things sunny-side up

admittedly, i prefer them boiled... something about hearing them scream....
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Oh I agree puppy - it is best to use no oil at all. But there is some controversy when it comes to your non-stick pans. Especially if you are forgetful and let them get too hot.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

rustypup wrote:
Tribble wrote:Oh I am waiting for Puppy
rational wiki says stop doing that...

avoid cooking anything in oil...
I never cook anything in oil. I prefer frying with butter.

Hey - we've all gotta die some time don't we?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Was this thread made specifically to troll me?

Rusty's wife has got him looking like a holocaust survivor these days. He's probably on a diet consisting of his own saliva and whatever excess skin he can gnaw off his hands and feet, so I wouldn't accept and advice from him.

Fry things in coconut oil because "it is the only oil that doesn't change when heated" :?:
Did you get this advice from some gaunt-faced vegan? You are nuttier than a jar of Black Cat.
Olive oil has 12 times less saturated fat than coconut oil, and none of the wild claims made about it's magical health abilities has been scientifically proven. Meh.

I just make sure never to eat at the same fast food place twice in the same week. Fool-proof plan for ensuring I'm well nourished!
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

@jamin some of it is his wife but the majority of his holocaust look is his own self punishment. The man does running in the morning "because it's fun" and major gym workouts in the afternoon "because it's fun". I reckon it is because he is a sucker for punishment and for some unknown reason I am being dragged into it... <_< For example I have been signed up for a 10km "run" for this Sunday...

As for eating healthy yeah I don't... Number 1 healthy portions are tiny! Number 2 healthy food is disgusting! looking at you vegetables! Number 3 junk food tastes awesome, except for KFC I get violently ill with KFC.

Just the exercising has me losing weight and keeping a healthy look about me. However if you wish to have the healthy, holocaust, modeling look go speak to rusty he has tons of experience... :P /going to get punished for this post... :P
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

Like Anky who exercises more than eating healthy food, RRF eats healthier more than he exercises... and has lost a lot of weight (about 2 or 3 pants sizes) since moving in with me and not eating fast foods about every day (his previous flat mate's fault)...

even tho i eat fairly healthy, i struggle to lose weight but that's cause i don't exercise (that is gonna change once i start playing tennis)...

the whole thing comes down to finding a balance and what works for you... everyone is different so in a way it doesn't help doing what other people do... what works for them doesn't necessarily work for you...

GOOD LUCK!!!
Last edited by KatrynKat on 04 Jul 2013, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

KatrynKat wrote:...and has lost a lot of wait (about 2 or 3 pants sizes) since moving in with me...
So he is actually getting a lot of excercise?
:run4hills:

I'll leave the wait vs weight thing for the grammar monkeys.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

D3PART3D wrote:Recommended by StarPhoenix and armed with some pro tips from Stuart
It's Independence Day, not April Fool's. It's an easy mistake to make, but you should learn it.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

rustypup wrote: shed 30kg in 6/7 months and have so far, (2+ years), managed to keep them at bay, (although i do see them whenever i pass by a pastry shop)
Tribble wrote:I have been able to lose a lot of weight even though I eat two fried eggs for breakfast every day. (23kgs and counting).
:o Impressive, well done!

Thanks for the tips Rusty, those are really helpful. The first thing I'll ditch is the multivitamin, I've been taking them for a while and noticed no difference.
Tribble wrote:Don't poach eggs - they are awful. Cook them in Coconut oil. It is the only oil that doesn't change when heated.
This is interesting. I read about some studies that suggest the heart disease - saturated fat relationship is far weaker than we've been led to believe, and from what I know about cholesterol it's far more likely to clog arteries if there is inflammation first. So I suppose at the very least saturated fat is the lesser of two evils, and there's the chance that coconut oil is doing some other good as well. I think I'll try coconut oil, thanks! :D
KatrynKat wrote:even tho i eat fairly healthy, i struggle to lose weight
Losing weight is very much a hormonal thing, KK. What sort of "healthy" food do you eat?

I'm not so much trying to lose weight. I have too much belly, but my problem is more... well, I have all sorts of ailments due to my unhealthy eating and sedentary habits. Low energy, weak muscles, low immunity, mood, etc. Time to put a stop to that and run a marathon or something.
hamin_aus wrote:Was this thread made specifically to troll me?
But you were doing so well, jammie! You even put up pics for us to see. What happened?
hamin_aus wrote: I just make sure never to eat at the same fast food place twice in the same week. Fool-proof plan for ensuring I'm well nourished!
Never mind. I know this diet, I'm on it!

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

As far as fish go, the rule of thumb is that the bigger/older the fish is, the more heavy metals, especially mercury, they have. So Sardines, Herring etc you can basically eat as often as you like. Don't eat swordfish, or stuff like that. I think most of the tuna they catch these days aren't that mature, but they can grow to be monsters so you'll never now.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

I will keep that in mind!

- Elon Musk
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

The hardest but best thing to do is : cut out white bread, anything containing sugar and anything processed and ready packed. No instant meals, soups, burgers, etc....
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

also, quit chugging omega-3 like it was a magical, disgusting, panacea...
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

Just be careful not to take things too far like I have. People at work are more concerned about me than usual. [It isn't just funny looks any more]

I have quit gym, and started drinking Ensure.
Also keeping a food diary for the psychiatric nurse at Beatty House.

You have been warned.
I'm sure youse okes are more sensible than I are though. :oops: :roll: :banghead:
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

StarPhoenix wrote:I have quit gym, and started drinking Ensure.
I used to drink Ensure, was one of the only shakes that you i could drink that doesn't have to be made with milk, can't drink milk... mom also used to drink it, should probably go back to drinking it for breakfast, worked wonders while studying...
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

KatrynKat wrote:
StarPhoenix wrote:I have quit gym, and started drinking Ensure.
I used to drink Ensure, was one of the only shakes that you i could drink that doesn't have to be made with milk, can't drink milk... mom also used to drink it, should probably go back to drinking it for breakfast, worked wonders while studying...

I wish that more flavours were available, though. Butterscotch in particular. :-)

Am being harrassed about my rest mass at work on [at least] a weekly basis, despite having told the boss that I am working on this matter with the psychiatric nurse associated with Beatty House, and will be seeing my shrink soon.
After being called into the boss's office and being harangued again, I emerged shaking. :( :evil:

The psychiatric nurse has advised me to say to him that he should call her about it, but he claims that he "does not report to her.

Leave cannot come too soon!!
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Last time I checked a psychiatric nurse was not a nutritionist and keeping a "food diary" is what most people use tumblr for...
StarPhoenix

Post by StarPhoenix »

True.....but what we are dealing with here is a psychiatric condition, and she knows a thing or two about eating disorders
GDI_Lord
Forum Administrator

Post by GDI_Lord »

hamin_aus wrote:Last time I checked a psychiatric nurse was not a nutritionist and keeping a "food diary" is what most people use Twitter for...
There, fixed that for you.
Important Thread: Yours in Christ's service,