Disney buys Lucasfilm, plans new 'Star Wars' trilogy

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
SykomantiS

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm, plans new 'Star Wars' trilogy

Post by SykomantiS »

GreyWolf wrote:
THE_STIG wrote:Its just that Disney will never live that Hanna Montana garbage down :lol:

You have a point there, he wouldn't have done this if he knew they would make a hash of it. Will have to wait and see how it all works out
1. Disney is STILL doing Hannah Montana type stuff. Watch them try and appeal to young pre-teen females by making EP. VII about the misadventures of a bunch of females on Corusant and the local mall. Compete with musical numbers.

2. @ Stig, dude, why are you talking about Lucas as if he is a well adjusted and sane human being? This is a man that gave us Jar Jar and racial stereotypes. A man who gave the pivotal role to Christian Hayden. A man who gave Vader the line: "Nooooooooooooo!" In my opinion, it would be better if he never touched anything SW ever again.
You do realise he's also the guy who gave us Star Wars in the first place :?:
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

Darth Goofy is the most awesome villian ever :P
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Funy enough I never found SW all that interesting :? maybe because I didn'see it untill long after it was out :dontknow:
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

THE_STIG wrote:Its just that Disney will never live that Hanna Montana garbage down :lol:
Do you have any inkling of how wildly popular Hannah Montana was, and how much money she made for Disney? Disney couldn't give a flying fart in space about your opinions of their more family-oriented stuff. Believe it or not, they do not sit around panicking whether their ideas will meet the approval of some small fry in backwater Brackenhurst, South Africa. There's nothing for them to "live down."
SykomantiS wrote:Agreed on Binks, but I think the Clone Wars was aimed at a slightly different age group than the original stuff, which in itself is not a bad thing.
Let's face it, the entire thing was difficult to recreate so many years later. The original SW viewers watched and loved the thing when they were ten years old; Lucasfilms had to appeal to ten-year-olds and forty-year-olds with Episodes 1-3. Not an easy task.

My personal opinion on the whole matter?
In a statement on Tuesday, Lucas said: “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers.”
^^ This is madness. When you have created something as wildly popular as Star Wars, don't expect a new generation of filmmakers to succeed with sequels. There comes a time to leave well enough alone.
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Stuart wrote:
In a statement on Tuesday, Lucas said: “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers.”
^^ This is madness. When you have created something as wildly popular as Star Wars, don't expect a new generation of filmmakers to succeed with sequels. There comes a time to leave well enough alone.
Nope it is busness you sell something while it still have value :lol:
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I don't know Stuart, I think Star Wars still has a lot of potential. Just looking at some of the novels- those stories played out on screen alone would be worthwhile. (Heck, everybody else is dong it, and when done right that isn't a bad thing)
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Post by THE_STIG »

Stuart wrote:Do you have any inkling of how wildly popular Hannah Montana was, and how much money she made for Disney? Disney couldn't give a flying fart in space about your opinions of their more family-oriented stuff. Believe it or not, they do not sit around panicking whether their ideas will meet the approval of some small fry in backwater Brackenhurst, South Africa. There's nothing for them to "live down."
They wont live it down amongst star was fans. And the family are just forced to watch it because the children like it :lol:
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

SykomantiS wrote:I don't know Stuart, I think Star Wars still has a lot of potential. Just looking at some of the novels- those stories played out on screen alone would be worthwhile. (Heck, everybody else is dong it, and when done right that isn't a bad thing)
I have no doubt that there is potential. But the success that Lucas hit with the original series is something that comes along once in a lifetime or two.

Will sequels sell? Yes.

Will they make an insane amount of money? No doubt.

Will they probably get panned by critics and fanbois? Absolutely.

I'm not a hardcore SW fanboi, so I enjoyed all six films. I didn't even mind Jar Jar. But can a new generation of filmmakers keep the fanbois happy? I seriously doubt it, though I will be delighted to be proven wrong.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

THE_STIG wrote:
Stuart wrote:Do you have any inkling of how wildly popular Hannah Montana was, and how much money she made for Disney? Disney couldn't give a flying fart in space about your opinions of their more family-oriented stuff. Believe it or not, they do not sit around panicking whether their ideas will meet the approval of some small fry in backwater Brackenhurst, South Africa. There's nothing for them to "live down."
They wont live it down amongst star was fans. And the family are just forced to watch it because the children like it :lol:
They care what Star Wars fans think about Hannah Montana as much as they care what rustypup thinks of Star Wars. They hit success big time with Hannah Montana, and no one who got a cut of the pie cares what non-fans think of their creation.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Stuart wrote:
SykomantiS wrote:I don't know Stuart, I think Star Wars still has a lot of potential. Just looking at some of the novels- those stories played out on screen alone would be worthwhile. (Heck, everybody else is dong it, and when done right that isn't a bad thing)
I have no doubt that there is potential. But the success that Lucas hit with the original series is something that comes along once in a lifetime or two.

Will sequels sell? Yes.

Will they make an insane amount of money? No doubt.

Will they probably get panned by critics and fanbois? Absolutely.

I'm not a hardcore SW fanboi, so I enjoyed all six films. I didn't even mind Jar Jar. But can a new generation of filmmakers keep the fanbois happy? I seriously doubt it, though I will be delighted to be proven wrong.

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Too soon? :P
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

I enjoyed John Carter recently and am looking forward to the upcoming " The Lone Ranger " and don't forget Disney produced Pirates of the Caribbean...
So I believe Disney has the potential to deliver some good entertainment on the Star Wars Franchise. Looking forward to it.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Synthesis wrote:don't forget Disney produced Pirates of the Caribbean...
And how well did THAT turn out as the series progressed?
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

The best quadrilogy ever produced. Or at least the first quarter of it.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

SykomantiS wrote:You do realise he's also the guy who gave us Star Wars in the first place :?:
Actually no. Have a read around the web. Lucas had MINIMAL input with the writing of the 1st 3 movies.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

GreyWolf wrote:
SykomantiS wrote:You do realise he's also the guy who gave us Star Wars in the first place :?:
Actually no. Have a read around the web. Lucas had MINIMAL input with the writing of the 1st 3 movies.
If I "read around the web" I will also learn that Walt Disney's body is cryogenically frozen, a Daddy Long Legs is the most poisonous spider on the planet, and Santa Claus was invented by Coca Cola.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

Stuart wrote:If I "read around the web" I will also learn that Walt Disney's body is cryogenically frozen, a Daddy Long Legs is the most poisonous spider on the planet, and Santa Claus was invented by Coca Cola.
All true!
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Oh dear....
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Specially for the Doom 'n Gloom amongst you.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Stop linking to 9derp
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

lol
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

@ Jamin: Why?
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

He spends so much time there - he hates clicking on links and seeing stuff he has seen so many times before.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »