Disney buys Lucasfilm, plans new 'Star Wars' trilogy

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat
Processor: Core i7 6800k
Motherboard: Asrock x99 taichi
Graphics card: Zotac 1080ti amp extreme
Memory: 16gb(4x4gb) corsair vengeance

Disney buys Lucasfilm, plans new 'Star Wars' trilogy

Post by THE_STIG »

The deal unites a boutique Northern California film studio that brought special effects into the digital era with a venerable Hollywood powerhouse that has shown a knack for getting the most out of big-name entertainment brands.

Disney plans to release at least three more films in the Star Wars sci-fi saga that ranks among the biggest movie franchises of all time, Chief Executive Bob Iger told analysts on Tuesday. The last Star Wars picture was Revenge of the Sith in 2005.

Although Lucas has in the past denied plans for any new

Star Wars movies, he said in a video interview released Tuesday on Starwars.com that he had already created story treatments outlining three more films as well as many other Star Wars story lines.

Lucas, an icon in the industry known for exercising control over the most minute details of the fictional universe he created, will remain a creative consultant on the new films, although in the video interview he cast the sale as part of a long-held personal desire to exit the mainstream film industry.

In a statement on Tuesday, Lucas said: “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers.” He will become the second-largest individual holder of Disney shares, with a 2.2% stake.

Disney will pay about half the purchase price in cash and issue about 40 million shares at closing.

“This is one of the greatest entertainment properties of all time,” Iger said......
Source
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Re: Disney buys Lucasfilm, plans new 'Star Wars' trilogy

Post by Tribble »

Mmmmmm
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Yep mmmm in deed.

Not entirely sure how well this is going to work
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

On the one hand: Avengers
On the other: Hannah Montana

This could go either way...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

That's what I am worried about. If they replace Luke skywalker with justin biber or something i will flame on them for all eternity
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

:lol: Let's hold thumbs! We can start having expectations when we find out who they assign the task to.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

Hang on. they did do pirates of the Caribbean right?
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Yes - safer not to hope for a successful sequel just yet

They do tons of great stuff - and tons of mediocre stuff too.

Mind you - I would love to see who they cast as a young Han Solo.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Young? They're doing episodes 7-9, Tribs. They could probably cast Harrison Ford again.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

It depends on how they continue the story. If its one of those "20 years later" sort of things then yes the original cast could work but if it is to continue directly from ep7 then they would have to get younger actors
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

Oh...right... I pictured episode 7 with Jacen and Jaina Solo in it. :lol: I suppose that would make it more Hannah Montanah.

- Elon Musk
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Luke and Leia can at least cameo. I hope this brings good things. Leia was touted as "another", but she was never allowed to develop her abilities or was even tested for it as far as I know.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

I personally think it's a good thing.
Lucas is old, and won't be around forever, and Disney/Marvel have been doing a rather stellar job IMHO with the latest action hero flicks. He also wouldn't have gone for the deal if it would impact SW negatively- we're talking about the mans life work here.

They will stay tue(ish) to the nature of Star Wars, I don't really see where all this bieber and hanna montana stuff is coming from. I am quite looking forward to this actually, it's been way too long already.
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

KALSTER wrote:Luke and Leia can at least cameo. I hope this brings good things. Leia was touted as "another", but she was never allowed to develop her abilities or was even tested for it as far as I know.
Oh the wonders of the Expanded Universe... :P
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Just no more Jar Jar Binks characters, please! Phantom Menace was easily the worst of the bunch, with Clown Wars a close second.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

Agreed on Binks, but I think the Clone Wars was aimed at a slightly different age group than the original stuff, which in itself is not a bad thing.
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

SykomantiS wrote:I personally think it's a good thing.
Lucas is old, and won't be around forever, and Disney/Marvel have been doing a rather stellar job IMHO with the latest action hero flicks. He also wouldn't have gone for the deal if it would impact SW negatively- we're talking about the mans life work here.

They will stay tue(ish) to the nature of Star Wars, I don't really see where all this bieber and hanna montana stuff is coming from. I am quite looking forward to this actually, it's been way too long already.
Its just that Disney will never live that Hanna Montana garbage down :lol:

You have a point there, he wouldn't have done this if he knew they would make a hash of it. Will have to wait and see how it all works out
KALSTER wrote:Just no more Jar Jar Binks characters, please! Phantom Menace was easily the worst of the bunch, with Clown Wars a close second.
I have to agree there, those were a bit cheesy
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Post by D3PART3D »

SykomantiS wrote: Expanded Universe... :P
I'm not going to be very comfortable if the stories clash... you can't rewrite history, demmit! :evil:

- Elon Musk
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

D3PART3D wrote:
I'm not going to be very comfortable if the stories clash... you can't rewrite history, demmit! :evil:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_ ... d_Universe

Looks like Leia does develop her force powers later on, becoming a fully fledged Jedi! And Lukas has a canon book of sorts, the Holocron, to try and keep the stories from clashing.

Jedi's battling new, evil, world destroying aliens sounds good to me!
ADT

Post by ADT »

oh god no :shock:
Kanete naki mi koso yasukere yuki no michi
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom II 3.47ghz ~ Gigabyte GA-890GPA-UD3H ~ XFX Radeon HD 5770 ~ CM eXtreme Power Plus 600W PSU ~ Samsung P2370H ~ Corsair 4GB DDR3 2000 Mhz ~ Win 7 64 Bit Ultimate ~
SykomantiS

Post by SykomantiS »

D3PART3D wrote:
Agreed.

@Stig: Also, for the time being Lucas wil co-chair with whatsherface, so it's not like he won't have any input at all. I think this is one of the better routes that was availalbe to them, I'm quite looking forward to the Star Wars universe again.

Regarding the EU, I lost track somewhere in that chaotic mess with the Yuhzaan Vong, or whatever they're called. I still have to revist that. (again...)
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

I only know the 6 movies and I think I watched one of the Ewok movies when I was little, of which I remember nothing. I'll let them surprise me. :)
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

SykomantiS wrote:@Stig: Also, for the time being Lucas wil co-chair with whatsherface, so it's not like he won't have any input at all. I think this is one of the better routes that was availalbe to them, I'm quite looking forward to the Star Wars universe again.
Yep I saw that. I am both over the moon and a slight bit worried, but I hope I am being worried for nothing I really want this trilogy to be awesome
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

THE_STIG wrote:Its just that Disney will never live that Hanna Montana garbage down :lol:

You have a point there, he wouldn't have done this if he knew they would make a hash of it. Will have to wait and see how it all works out
1. Disney is STILL doing Hannah Montana type stuff. Watch them try and appeal to young pre-teen females by making EP. VII about the misadventures of a bunch of females on Corusant and the local mall. Compete with musical numbers.

2. @ Stig, dude, why are you talking about Lucas as if he is a well adjusted and sane human being? This is a man that gave us Jar Jar and racial stereotypes. A man who gave the pivotal role to Christian Hayden. A man who gave Vader the line: "Nooooooooooooo!" In my opinion, it would be better if he never touched anything SW ever again.
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
THE_STIG
Spoiled Brat

Post by THE_STIG »

You have to be a bit insane to create star wars