Throw like a girl?

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Throw like a girl?

Post by Stuart »

As much as the expression grates, girls do, in general, throw like girls.

Janet Hyde, a professor of psychology and women’s studies at the University of Wisconsin at Madison, has studied the gender gap across a broad spectrum of skills. She believes that men and women aren’t as different as they are often portrayed, and she has mined data on social, psychological, communication and physical traits, skills and behaviors to quantify the gap. After looking at 46 meta-analyses, Hyde found what she defined as a “very large” difference in only two skills: throwing velocity and throwing distance.

Read more
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Throw like a girl?

Post by StarBound »

She believes that men and women aren’t as different as they are often portrayed...
Poor choice of words there?
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I agree - most girls do throw like girls. I joined Bakers Mini Cricket as a bowling coach and had the pleasure of being taught to bowl by one of the Titans. I wasn't bad - but I think I still threw like a girl though
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Stuart wrote:
....a professor of psychology and women’s studies...has mined data...After looking at 46 meta-analyses...
Sorry my BS meter is off the clock here

A professor of psychology is now studying throwing distance and velocity using "data-mined" analyses...
What cant psychologists do.... besides earn an honest living?

They have taken what psychologists are most famous for - creating statistics to support their stupid theories - and extended it beyond human behaviour into the physical realm?

Oh sure, start with an easy one like throwing - no-one can argue that. Then hit them with the big whoppers once you have legitimised your quackery.