Sterling Reporting: Your Favourite News Articles

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Here us a thread to centralise all those head-shaking stories that you encounter from time to time.

My first contribution was this little gem from News24 today.
Welkom – The engaged couple who have been arrested for the "satanic" murder in the Welkom cemetery, apparently regularly attended Bible studies and were crazy about the murderous TV drama, Dexter.

As a matter of fact, Chané van Heerden's mother said her daughter had asked for an extra Bible a few weeks ago. Her parents said she had always been a Christian.

But Van Heerden, who is also accused of murdering Michael van Eck, 24, apparently also practiced white magic related to the Wicca religion. She apparently told friends she didn't believe in God or Satan and was against Satanism.

People close to the couple denied links to Satanism and said both had a history of psychological problems and lived in a fantasy world.

The couple were crazy about the violent TV series Dexter and apparently even called each other "Dexter" and "Lumen" based on the violent characters in the programme. In the fifth series, the characters murder people together.

Maartens van der Merwe (Van Heerden's fiancé) had apparently spent time at a psychiatric hospital and had been known to hallucinate.

He apparently told a friend they cut each other.

Police were investigating a satanic link to the murder because of the way in which Van Eck's body had been dismembered as well as other items found in the house and on the property.

Neither Van Heerder nor Van der Merwe were apparently upset by being arrested. It was believed that the murder had been recorded on a cellphone video.

The couple indicated in court on Thursday that they would not apply for bail.
(Okay, I will grant perhaps the use of "apparently" in the last case if it is used in the sense of "by all appearances," but I somehow doubt it.)

Edit: Um, that doesn't work quite so well in Tapatalk since character formatting is ignored. :roll:
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Re: Sterling Reporting: Your Favourite News Articles

Post by StarBound »

TV viewing license - Now ensuring that the public are mentally fit to watch air programs.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
WiK1d

Post by WiK1d »

Well obviously they didn't follow Harry's Code, so obviously they weren't re-enacting whatever Dexter is about. Stop trying to find a scape-goat and just dismiss the people as being violent looneys.
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

I don't know if I can post it here but I saw the footage on youtube of Andrie Tatane being beaten up by the police(murdered). I couldn't even get half way through because it's just too disturbing. This really makes me sick.

This is the youtube ID omWi5PayXiM

My friend posted it on facebook saying he hasn't laughed this much in ages. Which makes me utterly sick.

I posted it here because I don't want to make a new thread for each newsarticle.
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

^^ I saw someone create a thread about that on SystemShock. Didn't even both opening it, because it would disturb me too. :evil:
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

I'm suprised the SABC news didn't censor the clip and that they actually aired it.
Bladerunner
Processor: i386DX Sooper
Motherboard: A blue one
Graphics card: A red one
Memory: Hard drive

Post by Bladerunner »

I watched the entire clip. Was rather disturbing but he did aggravate police, so his slate isn't entirely clean.
If I weren't insane: I couldn't be so brilliant! - The Joker
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

Yeah, wanted to mention that as well but then I thought the police should have measures in place of dealing with one lose cannon instead of beating him to death.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Surely a small group of policemen can apprehend one man without beating him to death?
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

IT may be awful but we need to see things like this. During apartheid we were not allowed to see what was going on. Things are broken - and they need to be fixed.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

The use of necessary force is fine, but one guy against a group of police officers does not need to be beaten to death.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

No one ever needs to be beaten to death by police. They are there to enforce the law - not break it. And killing someone like that is murder - plain and simple. He wasn't threatening anyone's life, the police were not in mortal danger. They are thugs and should be dealt with accordingly.
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

lol a friend at Lusito land told me the ferris wheel is stuck because the power went off. Now the fire department is trying to save the people. Not big news but still rather amusing. =P
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

Police won’t dismiss reports of ’Karoo monster’

Eastern Cape Police on Tuesday said they could not dismiss out of hand reports that a shape-shifting creature has been terrorising residents of Steytlerville.

Police said locals have reported a number of sightings of a man who reportedly changes into various animals.

The so-called monster started appearing in the Karoo town towards the end of March.

Police spokesperson Zandisile Nelani said a group of locals first described the creature after they spotted it outside a tavern one evening.

Nelani said no drugs or alcohol were involved in the sightings.

“There were no drugs involved. This thing, if you are five people on the street you won’t see it. If you are one, you can see that. And if he is coming on the street and he saw you, he will come to you," Nelani said.
http://www.eyewitnessnews.co.za/article ... x?id=64614

Let's go hunt the creature in groupds of 4 or 6 :D
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Siemens wrote:Let's go hunt the creature in groupds of 4 or 6 :D
I'll be in the group with the black guy and the couple who sneak off to have sex.
That way I know at least I'll die last!
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

And if he is coming on the street and he saw you, he will come to you
Wait...what?

Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Siemens wrote:they spotted it outside a tavern one evening.

Nelani said no drugs or alcohol were involved in the sightings.
Outside a tavern . . . no alcohol . . .

Yes, of course.
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

Steytlerville 'monster' strikes again

Johannesburg - A ‘monster’ plaguing the sleepy Karoo town of Steytlerville struck again over the Easter weekend, Eastern Cape police said on Monday.

Another two sightings of the "shape-shifting creature" were reported on Sunday evening, said Warrant Officer Zandisile Nelani .

“Two men were walking near a tavern when they saw another man wearing a black jacket. One of the men, identified only as Nozipho, went up to the stranger and asked him, “What is your problem?” said Nelani.

A dog or a cow?

When the stranger did not respond, Nozipho went closer and saw that the man had no head. The man then turned into a dog that was “very angry” and “as big as a cow”, Nelani said.

He said that as Nozipho and his friend ran away, the monster allegedly turned on another group of people in the same road. “They said it turned into a big monkey, and then it was gone,” Nelani said.

He said that since the monster was spotted near the tavern, people were afraid to go there at night.

Last week police were told by residents that the monster changed shape while one looked at it. One man had reported that it changed from a man wearing a suit into a pig and then into a bat.

There had also been rumours that the monster could fly. Previously, the monster had only been spotted near the church. It had even been seen peering through the windows during a service, but had vanished by the time the congregation came outside.

Nelani said that the community had dubbed the monster “Bawokozi”, meaning ‘brother-in-law’.

Photograph

Sightings of the monster began over a month ago when it was seen by mourners attending two separate funerals, Nelani said.

He said that the community requested a meeting with police because they were frightened of it. Police agreed to work with residents, but asked them to try to take a photograph of it as evidence.

Nelani said that a photograph had since been taken of the monster resting under a tree.

He said that when the photo was taken the monster had been in human form but when the photo was developed an unknown animal was visible in the picture.

“It is a very strange thing happening in Steytlerville, but no one has been hurt by it,” Nelani said.
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/ ... d4cac5%2C0

This shape shifter is trolling the stuffing out of this town.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Siemens wrote: Nelani said that the community had dubbed the monster “Bawokozi”, meaning ‘brother-in-law’.
Shouldn't that be "mother-in-law"?
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

I hear Steytlerville's marijuana is the new Durban poison.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I am keen to go and hunt this beast. It is a definite must-see
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

you can't be 5 people
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Nope but I want to see it - 5 people don't.
Synthesis

Post by Synthesis »

Dutch GPS and navigation software giant, Tom Tom, recently took what I consider to be a small privacy step for the company, but a giant privacy step for mankind.

Faced with evidence that the Dutch police have been using anonymised trip data from Tom Tom users to assist in enforcing speeding laws, Tom Tom CEO Harold Goddijn last week published an official comment on YouTube.

In the video, Goddijn said:
We learned today...that the police in the Netherlands are using [our] information to identify road stretches where people in general, and on average, are driving too fast. They use [our data] to put up speed cameras and speed traps. And we don't like that, because our customers don't like it. We will prevent that type of usage of our data in the future.
More...

I use TomTom...
Siemens

Post by Siemens »

Steve Hofmeyr uses the "k" word in a new song in honour of AWB leader Eugene Terre’blanche.

Hofmeyr released the lyrics of his new song ‘We will survive’ on his Facebook page this morning. The Song in honour of AWB leader Eugene Terre’blanche makes use of the word K*****

The use of the word K******, Hofmeyr has warned is conditional to the verdict of the Hate Speech court case between Julius Malema and Afri-Forum.

“If Julius Malema is allowed to sing ‘Shoot the Boer’ in public, we too will sing songs that have k*****,” He said.

Hofmeyr dubbed his move as Boere- Karma.

The song which is written in Anglo-Boer war context is about how the Afrikaaner shall overcome.

If Malema loses the case, Hofmaeyr said he would change the word K***** to kryger which means Warrior.

When asked for comment ANC Youth League spokesperson said “We really don’t give a damn about Steve Hofmeyer, who does he think he is?”

The Hate Speech court case between Julius Malema and AfriForum will convene on the 19 May
http://www.timeslive.co.za/entertainmen ... n-new-song

I wish he would just give it a break.