Stem cell transplant cures HIV

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Stem cell transplant cures HIV

Post by hamin_aus »

www.cnn.com wrote:Man appears free of HIV after stem cell transplant

A 42-year-old HIV patient with leukemia appears to have no detectable HIV in his blood and no symptoms after a stem cell transplant from a donor carrying a gene mutation that confers natural resistance to the virus that causes AIDS, according to a report published Wednesday in the New England Journal of Medicine.
The patient underwent a stem cell transplant and since, has not tested positive for HIV in his blood.

The patient underwent a stem cell transplant and since, has not tested positive for HIV in his blood.

"The patient is fine," said Dr. Gero Hutter of Charite Universitatsmedizin Berlin in Germany. "Today, two years after his transplantation, he is still without any signs of HIV disease and without antiretroviral medication."

The case was first reported in November, and the new report is the first official publication of the case in a medical journal. Hutter and a team of medical professionals performed the stem cell transplant on the patient, an American living in Germany, to treat the man's leukemia, not the HIV itself.

However, the team deliberately chose a compatible donor who has a naturally occurring gene mutation that confers resistance to HIV. The mutation cripples a receptor known as CCR5, which is normally found on the surface of T cells, the type of immune system cells attacked by HIV.

The mutation is known as CCR5 delta32 and is found in 1 percent to 3 percent of white populations of European descent.

HIV uses the CCR5 as a co-receptor (in addition to CD4 receptors) to latch on to and ultimately destroy immune system cells. Since the virus can't gain a foothold on cells that lack CCR5, people who have the mutation have natural protection. (There are other, less common HIV strains that use different co-receptors.)

People who inherit one copy of CCR5 delta32 take longer to get sick or develop AIDS if infected with HIV. People with two copies (one from each parent) may not become infected at all. The stem cell donor had two copies.

While promising, the treatment is unlikely to help the vast majority of people infected with HIV, said Dr. Jay Levy, a professor at the University of California San Francisco, who wrote an editorial accompanying the study. A stem cell transplant is too extreme and too dangerous to be used as a routine treatment, he said.

"About a third of the people die [during such transplants], so it's just too much of a risk," Levy said. To perform a stem cell transplant, doctors intentionally destroy a patient's immune system, leaving the patient vulnerable to infection, and then reintroduce a donor's stem cells (which are from either bone marrow or blood) in an effort to establish a new, healthy immune system.

Levy also said it's unlikely that the transplant truly cured the patient in this study. HIV can infect many other types of cells and may be hiding out in the patient's body to resurface at a later time, he said.

"This type of virus can infect macrophages (another type of white blood cell that expresses CCR5) and other cells, like the brain cells, and it could live a lifetime. But if it can't spread, you never see it-- but it's there and it could do some damage," he said. "It's not the kind of approach that you could say, 'I've cured you.' I've eliminated the virus from your body." Health.com: 10 questions to ask a new partner before having sex

Before undergoing the transplant, the patient was also found to be infected with low levels of a type of HIV known as X4, which does not use the CCR5 receptor to infect cells. So it would seem that this virus would still be able to grow and damage immune cells in his body. However, following the transplant, signs of leukemia and HIV were absent.

"There is no really conclusive explanation why we didn't observe any rebound of HIV," Hutter said. "This finding is very surprising."

Hutter noted that one year ago, the patient had a relapse of leukemia and a second transplant from the same donor. The patient experienced complications from the procedure, including temporary liver problems and kidney failure, but they were not unusual and may occur in HIV-negative patients, he said.
Health Library

Researchers including Hutter agree that the technique should not be used to treat HIV alone. "Some people may say, 'I want to do it,'" said Levy. A more logical -- and potentially safer -- approach would be to develop some type of CCR5-disabling gene therapy or treatment that could be directly injected into the body, said Levy.

Less invasive options to alter CCR5 could be on the horizon within the next five years, said Levy. "It's definitely the wave of the future," he said. "As we continue to follow this one patient, we will learn a lot."

One drug that's currently on the market that blocks CCR5 is called maraviroc (Selzentry). It was first approved in 2007 and is used in combination with other antiretroviral drugs. Health.com: Who's most at risk for STDs?

In 2007, an estimated 2 million people died from AIDS, and 2.7 million people contracted HIV. More than 15 million women are infected worldwide. HIV/AIDS can be transmitted through sexual intercourse, sharing needles, pregnancy, breast-feeding, and/or blood transfusions with an infected person. Health.com:What should I do if the condom breaks?

"For HIV patients, this report is an important flicker of hope that antiretroviral therapy like HAART [highly active antiretroviral therapy] is not the endpoint of medical research," Hutter said.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Re: Stem cell transplant cures HIV/AIDS

Post by Monty »

It was a bone marrow transplant. Not a stem cell transplant
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Monty wrote:It was a bone marrow transplant. Not a stem cell transplant
that's right... everyone knows stem cell treatments aimed at giving the immune system a boost should preferably be injected into the earlobe.....

interesting story, but still just a blip... at the rate it mutates, HIV will not topple at the first post...
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Fanatic-X

Post by Fanatic-X »

I wonder how long before this gets veto'd :?
My Rig:
Spoiler (show)
AMD Phenom X3 8450 2.1GHz
MSI K9A2 Platinum V2 (needs a BIOS update to install a Phenom II)
MSI Radeon HD4650 512MB GDDR2
2x A-Data Vitesta 2GB 1066+ DDR2 RAM
2x 320GB Seagate HDD
Raidmax Smilidon Gaming case
Samsung T220 Syncmaster 22"Wide LCD Screen
Pic of my beauty
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

rustypup wrote:
Monty wrote:It was a bone marrow transplant. Not a stem cell transplant
that's right... everyone knows stem cell treatments aimed at giving the immune system a boost should preferably be injected into the earlobe.....

interesting story, but still just a blip... at the rate it mutates, HIV will not topple at the first post...
Hi mister wit.

The guy was irradiated and had a bone marrow transplant. And afaik, bone marrow is a haemopoietic stem cell (which is not a true stem cell as it only differentiates into the different types of blood cells)
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Siemens
Location: somewhere over the rainbow where katie melua is running from me.

Post by Siemens »

Monty wrote: The guy was irradiated and had a bone marrow transplant. And afaik, bone marrow is a haemopoietic stem cell (which is not a true stem cell as it only differentiates into the different types of blood cells)
Thank you captain obvious, everyone knows that :/ duh
"Friends are a lot like potatoes. If you eat them they die." - Stuart
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Monty wrote:not a true stem cell as it only differentiates into the different types of blood cells
:lol: so, (if i understand you correctly), this is not real stem cell treatment until he has a hand/toe/phallus growing out of his spine? :P
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Mow

Post by Mow »

Know this is cruel but i had high hopes that aids would be the controlling factor in our population. If they cure it , ... Well then global warming is the least of our concerns.
Asus Rampage Formula : E8400@4000 : 4GB Mushkin Frostbite @1066/5.5.5.15/TRD6
Sapphire 4870 Toxic 1GB: Coolermaster HAF : BlackIce360 Rad : Apogee GT : DTek-Customs Rez.
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Mow wrote:Know this is cruel but i had high hopes that aids would be the controlling factor in our population. If they cure it , ... Well then global warming is the least of our concerns.
+1
:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:
Spoiler (show)
Intel Core i7-2600k @ 3.4GHz
Corsair Vengence 2x4GB DDR3 2000MHz
Thermaltake Toughpower 850W
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

It's too slow though...

The world population is now estimated at around 6.76 billion...
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

So it's 2012 and this guy is still HIV free...
www.cbsnews.com wrote:Doctors claim to have "functional cure" for HIV

Thirty years ago from Sunday, the Centers for Disease Control issued the first report on the emerging AIDS epidemic. Now, after years of progress in holding back the disease, there is finally an apparent case of one successful cure.

CBS News correspondent Hank Plante, with San Francisco affiliate KCBS, reports that 45-year-old Timothy Ray Brown, now living in the Bay Area, tested positive for HIV back in 1995, but now has entered the scientific journals as the first man in world history to have his HIV completely eliminated from his body. It's what doctors call a "functional cure."

He was living in Berlin, Germany, in 2007, dealing with HIV and leukemia, when scientists there gave him a bone marrow, stem cell transplant that had astounding results.

"I quit taking my HIV medication on the day that I got the transplant and haven't had to take any since," Brown says, adding that his diseases are effectively gone.

In fact, his only medical problem these days is one involving his speech and motor skills because of neurological damage after the treatment, but that's getting better.

"The Berlin Patient," as Brown is known, received stem cells from a donor who was immune to HIV. In fact, about one percent of Caucasians are immune to HIV. Some say it goes back to the Great Plague; People who survived the plague developed an immunity, and that immunity was passed down to their heirs today.

Brown says being the first man to be cured of HIV makes him very, very happy.

Needless to say, Brown is now being monitored by doctors at San Francisco General Hospital and here at UCSF, where we sought out a medical opinion from one of the most respected AIDS researchers in the world, Dr. Jay Levy, who was one of the co-discoverers of the HIV virus.

"If you're able to take the white cells from someone and manipulate them so they're no longer infectable by HIV, and those white cells become the whole immune system of that individual, you've got essentially what we call a functional cure," Dr. Levy says.

We also sought out a medical opinion from Dr. Paul Volberding, another pioneering AIDS expert, who has studied the disease for all of its 30 years.

"One element of his treatment, and we don't know which, allowed apparently the virus to be purged from his body. So its going to be an interesting, I think, productive area to study," Dr. Volderding says. "He hasn't had any recurrence now for several years I think of the virus, and that hasn't happened before in our experience."

Timothy Brown's radical procedure may not be applicable to many other people with HIV, because of the difficulty in doing stem cell transplants, and finding the right donor. But this one case does open the door to the field of "cure research," which is now gaining more attention.

"I'm cured of HIV," Brown says. "I had HIV, but I don't anymore."

Those are words that so many in the scientific community are now cautiously clinging to.
So this treatment has been upgraded from "This looks promising..." to "Functional cure"

Suck it, anti stem cell dipshts!
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

jamin_za wrote:So it's 2012 and this guy is still HIV free...
Actually, it's 2011. ;)
jamin_za wrote:Suck it, anti stem cell dipshts!
Stem cell research opponents are typically against embryonic stem cell research, not adult stem cell research. Two completely different things.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

Stuart wrote:
jamin_za wrote:So it's 2012 and this guy is still HIV free...
Actually, it's 2011. ;)
Okay, I'll grudgingly conceded that point.
Well played.
JollyJamma

Post by JollyJamma »

RuadRauFlessa wrote:
Mow wrote:Know this is cruel but i had high hopes that aids would be the controlling factor in our population. If they cure it , ... Well then global warming is the least of our concerns.
+1
+1

Monty, if anyone knows about doctoral stuff it's him, has my faith. One day he'll stitch all of the lads together after a fight I'm sure...

and yes it's not 2012
I no longer think of myself as Atheist however I reject religion as a concept where you must do x because someone says so. May contain nuts.
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

So you can get immunity from 1 strain of HIV if you have the correct cell transplant. If the procedure doesnt kill you the strain that isnt blocked will. And it only stops HIV not aids. So for SA it doesnt help.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

StarBound wrote:So you can get immunity from 1 strain of HIV if you have the correct cell transplant. If the procedure doesnt kill you the strain that isnt blocked will. And it only stops HIV not aids. So for SA it doesnt help.
Glass always is half full for you, isn't it?
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Re: Stem cell transplant cures HIV

Post by StarBound »

My Steam Screenshots

RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

@ StarBound
Please go educate yourself..... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIDS.... AIDS is not something that can exist on its own.... In fact it is an effect of HIV... Without HIV there is no AIDS :P
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
StarBound
Registered Pervert

Post by StarBound »

Before undergoing the transplant, the patient was also found to be infected with low levels of a type of HIV known as X4, which does not use the CCR5 receptor to infect cells. So it would seem that this virus would still be able to grow and damage immune cells in his body. However, following the transplant, signs of leukemia and HIV were absent.
In other words its still possible to get aids from the HIV it doesnt stop. And as for above its a blocker for HIV. If you have aids already your screwed.
My Steam Screenshots

RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

The blocker blocks the HIV virus from taking over your blood sells. In other means your body's generation of blood vessels is restored to full function. It is the disability of your body to protect itself which is aptly named AIDS. HIV might be in your system but for as long as they can not attack white blood cells it can't do diddly squat to you. So you alter or replace your DNA by means of a transplant and according to the article you block HIV which in turns cures you from AIDS which is the thing that kills you.... :P
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Can we get a biochem/microbiology thread it seems needed
And any way a better solution to aids/hiv being the same thing is to find a nice deadly virus and make it target only people with hiv so they can all die within a day and then there is nobody to spread hiv any more and thus the disease is cured
Alternatively institute involuntary hiv tests and shoot the positives after maybe having another test just to be sure and repeat every 3 months till the disease is gone
Both solutions have the added advantage to counteract the idjits that think producing babies is a productive job in society
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
RuadRauFlessa

Post by RuadRauFlessa »

Cpt. Nemo... I once again find that I have to agree with you.
Spoiler (show)
ASUS nVidia GTX560 1GB
CoolerMaster HAF 932
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

CapNemo wrote:Can we get a biochem/microbiology thread it seems needed
OH yea, the posts will be more intelligent then.

/on topic
Star, the one guy this happened to was a massive fluke, it's not like the disease is cured for all now.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Nice one Cap.

Let's shoot the thousands of kiddies that were infected with HIV whilst in the womb...
And next the extremely productive grown-ups that are actually adding value to our economy but either got infected accidentally or because of bad sexual choices. :thumbup:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator

Post by hamin_aus »

doo_much wrote:Let's shoot the thousands of kiddies that were infected with HIV whilst in the womb...
And next the extremely productive grown-ups that are actually adding value to our economy but either got infected accidentally or because of bad sexual choices.
WTF is this?
A common-sense argument in rebuttal to an internet tough-guy rant?
Are you new to the internet? :P