A thread not for the easily offended

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Re: A thread not for the easily offended

Post by GreyWolf »

hamin_aus wrote:Have a look for videos of an Aussie bloke named Jim Jeffries on youtube. His opinions are worth listening to
And funny at the same time...
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

I lolled last night.

I was laying in bed when a rogue Dr Oz show appears. It was about "out of body experiences" that people experience if they were clinically dead but revived.

One woman (a doctor, I might add) told her story about how she drowned in a river canoing incident. She describes a "comforting feeling" and being "told" that her husband and children would be fine. Afterwards she described floating above her body with 12 "spirits", which eventually told her her "work" isn't done. She then continued to yap on about God and her strong belief etc.

How can a educated person be so daft.

I was "dead" for a couple of seconds when I was in the recovery room of the hospital after the second operation on my leg last year. I suffered no illusions of my spirit leaving my body. Then again, I was totally unconscious when my heart stopped.

I think these "experiences" are just illusions experienced by a semi-conscious brain struggling to grasp the last strands of life as it slowly shuts down.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Or that the trending Numinous Power does not stoop to anything so petty as to have a hissy fit every time some jumped-up protoplasm asks awkward questions/calls it nasty names. :-P
ham in oz wrote:So they "punish" these blasphemers and claim the deity put them up to it.
The....er.....god made me do it! ;-)
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Hman wrote:I lolled last night.

I was laying in bed when a rogue Dr Oz show appears.
Of what had you partaken prior to this, and would you care to share some of it with us? :wink: :P
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Hman wrote:I was "dead" for a couple of seconds when I was in the recovery room of the hospital after the second operation on my leg last year.
How do you manage to clinically die from an operation on your leg :?:

Your incompetence level is: Cartoon villain's henchman

:P
Hman

Post by Hman »

hamin_aus wrote:
Hman wrote:I was "dead" for a couple of seconds when I was in the recovery room of the hospital after the second operation on my leg last year.
How do you manage to clinically die from an operation on your leg :?:

Your incompetence level is: Cartoon villain's henchman

:P
Fatal reaction to morphine. I was not a happy camper when I came to, the morphine did nothing to dull the pain in the leg.

Hman

Post by Hman »

StarPhoenix wrote:
Hman wrote:I lolled last night.

I was laying in bed when a rogue Dr Oz show appears.
Of what had you partaken prior to this, and would you care to share some of it with us? :wink: :P
If I told you, I'd have to kill you. And nevar!

Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

On the subject of near death experiences, its a far more likely theory IMO that DMT is being released in your brain at certain very stressful times. The reports I heard and read seems more like what you read in a DMT trip report than anything else. And we know that the human body produces small amounts, most likely in the pineal gland (we know the enzymes to make it possible is there).

Though not proven, at least this makes scientifically sense. We just have to wait to die to trip balls... :lol:

A thread full of speculation.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

philly.com wrote:HHerbert and Catherine Schaible told a judge in 2011 that they would never choose religion over medicine again after their 2-year-old son, Kent Schaible, died from bacterial pneumonia in 2009.

But on Monday, the Rhawnhurst couple sat together again in Philadelphia Common Pleas Court, silent and somber as a judge skewered them for "grossly and disastrously" violating their probation when they watched Brandon, just shy of 8 months old, die last week.
keep it classy you fundamentalist wackjobs... :|
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Ah, yes, the parents went full retard. Again.
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
CapNemo

Post by CapNemo »

Shall we drown them in acid you were given a brain for a reason
"I hear voices in my head but they are my own this time"
"Except for a battle lost, there is nothing so terrible as a battle won."
"Sanity is for the weak!!"
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

CapNemo wrote:Shall we drown them in acid
pfft... their imaginary sky-beard will help them shrug it off via the magical powers of prayer...

on a side note, the father's face looks eminently punchable... :lol:
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

rustypup wrote:
pfft... their imaginary sky-beard will help them shrug it off via the magical powers of prayer...

You'll end up getting something disgusting on your hands...

I wonder, if they're in an 'accident' - let's say they each suffered a compound fracture in some unfortunate circumstance - if they'd call the hospital or their preacher first....
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote:

The mother looks somewhat like Nanny McPhee.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

I seem to remember us delving into this debate earlier in this thread.
Michael Cook wrote:In the past ten years the single most memorable event in embryonic stem cell research has been setting a world record for scientific fraud.

More
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Stuart wrote:I seem to remember us delving into this debate earlier in this thread.
Michael Cook wrote:In the past ten years the single most memorable event in embryonic stem cell research has been setting a world record for scientific fraud.

More
*sigh* Article fails to mention the crushing oppression from certain groups against embryonic stem cell research and that some countries heavily prohibit where the research can go so movement forward will be slow.

Maybe the world does need another "World War" to advance technology. Bet you those groups against will be for when it starts saving their lives...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

Anakha56 wrote: some countries
And the great results in the countries in which it is not so heavily prohibited?
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

Stuart wrote:
Anakha56 wrote: some countries
And the great results in the countries in which it is not so heavily prohibited?
Are probably trying to fend off the world recession? ;)

Here's something interesting:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-0 ... ppeal.html

Note the time & date of when the appeal was rejected? This means that the USA can now finally go forward with stem cell research with full government funding. Also note that when Obama took office in 2009 he lifted a lot of the restrictions that Bush put in place so the USA has only been going full strength in research since 2009.

Oh Stu since your article is complaining that stem cell research is going so slowly can I say gods are dead because miracles have stopped happening? It is a fair argument because the guy you linked to expects miracle breakthroughs in stem cell research in a small time frame so surely I can expect miracles to happen every couple of hundred years to reaffirm the faith? The only time world defining miracles have happened is during a time frame when man could not record events properly and knew very little of what they were looking at, since our understanding of the world has increased is it not sad that the miracles of any god have disappeared?

Research on anything with massive complications and little understanding will go slowly while scientists test theories and their math. Care to guess how long it took to map the human genome fully? For something this complex it can take longer.

Side note how long have we been looking for a cure for Aids? Pretty long time with very little to show for it and yet I dont see that website complaining that it is taking to long...

/Learnt something interesting while Googling this, their are actually a lot of countries researching the matter and a lot of the big countries have relaxed their laws recently but a lot of other countries are still trying to get to grips with recession for example the EU...

*edit*

Oh and we have this problem as well:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2013 ... -a-patent/
Supreme Court debates whether “snipping” human genes merits a patent
Some justices are skeptical of the "very patent happy" patent office.

The word of the day at the Supreme Court on Monday was "snip." The biotech company Myriad Genetics is defending patents that give it exclusive control over two genes linked to breast cancer. Critics have argued that Myriad merely "snipped" the genes from the human genome, and that this no more deserves patent protection than "snipping" a leaf from a plant or removing a liver from a human body.

"Here, what's involved is snipping," Chief Justice John Roberts said to Myriad's lawyer, Gregory Castanias. "You've got the thing there and you snip off the top and you snip off the bottom and there you've got it."

"You wouldn't even know where to snip until the Myriad invention," Castanias countered.

Crud like this will also slow down any research in any field drastically...

*edit 2*

Some news about stem cell research:

http://arstechnica.com/science/2013/03/ ... c-therapy/
Doctors track stem cells with nanoparticles during cardiac therapy
Cells can be tracked in the heart with a simple ultrasound scan.

Heart-related diseases are the leading cause of death in the industrialized world. Cardiac stem cell therapy is a promising new way of reducing those numbers, but its application has proven to be less effective than hoped. Now researchers at Stanford University have developed nanoparticles that can be used to image stem cells implanted into the heart. They claim this will help improve the efficiency of these transplants drastically.

Stem cell therapy uses cells that have the ability to transform into a wide variety of mature cell types. When implanted in the heart, for instance, they can transform into heart cells. This ability can be used to repair injured or diseased parts of the heart. Sadly, current methods of introducing stem cells rely on trial and error.

Let’s say, for instance, that a patient suffers a heart attack, which leaves some of his heart cells injured. To help the heart heal, the patient is first put into an MRI scanner to locate the areas of the heart that need repair. Once those are determined, doctors use the scan to implant new stem cells into these regions. After implantation, the patient is returned to the MRI to determine the location and number of implanted cells—if they’re not where they need to be, the patient is returned to surgery. This is exhaustively repeated.

Seems there has been a slight advancement...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

You're lumping together adult and embryonic stem cell research here. Two completely different things.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator

Post by Anakha56 »

1st link is for embryonic stem cell research, my argument still stands that the USA has only been at it since 2009. You can debate that if you want...

My question on if the gods are real or not still stands still stands does it not? Care to answer? This person expects great things in a very short amount of time so why cant I be allowed to expect a miracle every couple of hundred years? Same principle...

2nd link is more to show about how patents slow research down. This answers the question on the speed of the research.

3rd link is to show advancement, yes not embryonic but the methods used in that study could assist in the research of embryonic stem cell research could it not?

I will admit to not knowing a damned thing about the subject matter and I can only hope someone else will step in and provide better answers but I do think that I have provided material that A: Shows that this is still fairly new in a modern country, B: That patent's and the battles that come with them will slow down the research and the fruits of that research and C: An advancement that can be used in the same field.

/Will Google more once work stops being interesting...
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Michael 'not-a-ranting-theist' Cook wrote:Not one person has been cured with embryonic stem cells. Not one.
so, this would have *nothing* to do with the fact that nobody was *allowed* to treat humans with embryonic stem cells ...
Michael 'not-a-ranting-theist' Cook wrote:Isn’t anyone prepared to say, “Sorry”?

1 in 4 pregnancies terminates naturally because not every pregnancy is viable. this is a staggeringly large number of murdered babies, according to mikey's logic. shouldn't he be demanding an apology from his skybeard?

yet another twerp hammering on about the sanctity of human life, (which is in such short supply), and the evul scienceman...

prat...
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

rustypup wrote:1 in 4 pregnancies terminates naturally because not every pregnancy is viable. this is a staggeringly large number of murdered babies, according to mikey's logic. shouldn't he be demanding an apology from his skybeard
And PETA should be demanding an apology from Mother Nature because lions violently kill zebras.

Seriously, this is knee-jerk, illogical straw-clutching of the highest order. I'm honestly surprised that you consistently stoop so low.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Stuart wrote:this is knee-jerk, illogical straw-clutching of the highest order.
says you and who's army? :lol:

"straw clutching"... the premise used for the demanded apology assumes that the researchers are running foetus farms for the express purpose of MURDERING them for their delicious stem cells... this is not only wildly inaccurate, it's delusional...

abortions will continue at the current rate, legally or illegally. this is not going to change. i fail to see how using the aborted foetus is any worse than not doing so.*

adult stem cells have acknowledged limitations and are far less plastic, with added risks...

*all* stem cells present a rejection issue, but we can harvest stem cells from an adult recipient to get around this, which is great, but they present with rapid telomere degeneration, which is bad... also, completely useless for treating any genetic disorders...

there is no easy answer, but the facts are: stem cells present a solid case for dramatic advances in the treatment of a variety of disorders and injuries which are currently unavailable. discarding or retarding this research on the basis of unsubstantiated and completely fabricated hysterics is not an argument... it's a tantrum...

theists really should get over themselves. their hand-wringing dramatics aren't helping anyone.

*this is entirely unclear. my point should have been that we accept that not every foetus will make it to term so we accept that there is a point where a collection of cells becomes a person... a blastocyst is nowhere near this point... it barely rates mention as a leech or even viral infection...
KALSTER
Forum Moderator

Post by KALSTER »

Really had to stop myself from pressing enter:

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Intel i5 2500; AsRock Z77 Extreme 4; Asus GTX580; 4x 2GB DDR3 1333; Intel 520 240GB SSD + 2x WD 3TB + 2TB Samsung; Samsung 22X DVD/RW; 23" LG W2343T-PF; Huntkey 700W
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Bwahahahahahahahahaha he would not have been amused