Large Hadron Collider (LHC) Tests

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
marduke

Re: Large Hadron Collider (LHC) Tests

Post by marduke »

Prime wrote:
Now you've just made me all the more curious, lay it on the table, I can take whatever you can dish out
I think this planet would be far better off if we started bumping off some of the dumber people. :P
So you implying that I'm one of them? :cry:
Prime

Post by Prime »

marduke wrote:
Prime wrote:
Now you've just made me all the more curious, lay it on the table, I can take whatever you can dish out
I think this planet would be far better off if we started bumping off some of the dumber people. :P
So you implying that I'm one of them? :cry:
Not at all, the politicians will be going first :P

So Anyway, i did a quick search today to hear what news and the Collider will be off till Spring (northern hemisphere) next year. They had a helium leak. :roll:
Pieterpan
Location: At the Rock concert . Third row there somewhere between the other people. .... .

Post by Pieterpan »

hehehe ....... so we have to wait and see if the world ends then :cheers: :wav:
Member of The Phoenix's Garters
--------------------------------------
* Biostar T-Series Motherboard TF7100PM7
* Core 2 Duo E4400 @ 2.5Ghz
* 3GB DDR2 Kingston RAM 800
* 1x 250GB 1x 80GB 1x 40 GB HDD
* GeForce 9600GT 512MB DDR3

...Join the Dark side . .. We have cookies!
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

i better not, i just got my 9800gtx+
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
MIA

Post by MIA »

po10cy wrote:i better not, i just got my 9800gtx+
lol :lol: :lol:
Forum Points: 16400

Please sign and forward this. Its for a good cause. Dungeon Keeper 3
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

po10cy wrote:i better not, i just got my 9800gtx+

Priorities. Life's all about priorities.... :mrgreen:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

yeah...wonder if i email them and tell them to postpone testing for a few months so i can get some gaming done if they will listen? lol
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

What if - and this is only a hypothesis - they said it was broken and will only be turned on in their Spring, to mislead those wishing to stop the program? So now they are secretly planning on switching it back on without our knowledge. Not impossible - as they were building the thing for a while before we found out. Now they can run the tests they want without hackers and other interference.

Naah - ignore me - it is Saturday and there is no one else on this forum. I am bored.
Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Tribble and 0 guests
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

WRONG!

Users browsing this forum: Augur, doo_much, Tribble and 0 guests

And like all conspiracy theories - I like it! :P
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Yay - company!

Well it does make sense. They would want to work in peace, without interference. Don't be surprised when they make an announcement and say "We found it! We found THE particle!" and we all say "Huh?, but you have not been able to get the thing working. You stopped the project" - and then we will be hooked on how they could deceive us rather than on the wonderful discovery they have made.

Organisations will come out and say that it is a lie - like the Moon landing. We will spend the next 10 years reading how all the data has been fabricated - and because they said they were not going to be testing till X month - they could not have been. :lol:

Sorry - in the mood to ramble a bit
Prime

Post by Prime »

Oh its possible. :lol:
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

I know - it is human nature to deceive and be sneaky. Also our nature to try and discredit those that have done amazing things. Aren't we wonderful!
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

It just makes good sense to fabricate some nonsense about technical problems in order to get the doom sayers off your back for a short while. I don't think they're too worried about the possibility of the results of their research being queried at this moment time....
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Prime

Post by Prime »

doo_much wrote:It just makes good sense to fabricate some nonsense about technical problems in order to get the doom sayers off your back for a short while. I don't think they're too worried about the possibility of the results of their research being queried at this moment time....
Nah, there results could be easily verifiable unlike the moon landing. :P
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Prime wrote:
Nah, there results could be easily verifiable unlike the moon landing. :P

Don't know what results they're expecting - but they'd better not annihilate the plabet before po10cy's played with his 9800gtx+ a bit :twisted:
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Yep - there is DVD now :twisted: They would just record all their tests visually and it would take a week to prove that they have not been edited.

I wonder if they will actually be able to find the particle. I think it would be awesome if they did. Even if they created a black hole I think it would be awesome. It will show us so much.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Tribble wrote:Yep - there is DVD now :twisted: They would just record all their tests visually and it would take a week to prove that they have not been edited.

I wonder if they will actually be able to find the particle. I think it would be awesome if they did. Even if they created a black hole I think it would be awesome. It will show us so much.

"Stars - it's full of stars"
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Prime

Post by Prime »

Lol, nee man! the results will be collected in the Grid and then distributed amongst scientists all over the world for analysis.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Right so apparently this project has been put on hold because by the time they get it recomissioned, it will be winter and there will be constraints on the amount of energy they can use. :(
Zana

Post by Zana »

Thanks, chaps, i should have used the search thingy , and no one will know when this big experiment will go on? so its postponed till next year? Yup i spelt hadron ... was finger twisted ((giggle)) also i think i am loosing my brain..lol

Thanks
Love and hugs
Danielle
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com
Prime

Post by Prime »

Zana wrote:Thanks, chaps, i should have used the search thingy , and no one will know when this big experiment will go on? so its postponed till next year? Yup i spelt hadron ... was finger twisted ((giggle)) also i think i am loosing my brain..lol

Thanks
Love and hugs
Danielle
They'll start colliding in Spring next year. I'll find the article
Prime

Post by Prime »

cosmic sauce
:mrgreen:

"The time necessary for the investigation and repairs precludes a restart before Cern's obligatory winter maintenance period, bringing the date for restart of the accelerator complex to early spring 2009," Cern said at the time in a statement.
Zana

Post by Zana »

Prime wrote:cosmic sauce
:mrgreen:

"The time necessary for the investigation and repairs precludes a restart before Cern's obligatory winter maintenance period, bringing the date for restart of the accelerator complex to early spring 2009," Cern said at the time in a statement.
Thanks for the info :-), you know i am so tiered of delays etc etc.. and yet wars, stock market crashes(caused by someone who tried to sell me), well i hope they get it sorted out... since a lot of theories about this thing are poping out... there is even on story i heard is that they converted it into a star gate thingy lol..

:love1:
The elvin world is different from your world like our ears compared with yours.. to see all the elfs
Art Gallery: www.zananeichan.deviantart.com
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Reuters wrote:The giant sub-atomic particle collider built to reproduce "Big Bang" conditions is set to restart this autumn, the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) said on Friday.

Scientists believe they have figured out how to prevent a repeat of the problems that caused the 10 billion Swiss franc ($9.2 billion) Large Hadron Collider to be shut down just nine days after it was switched on last September, CERN expert Steve Myers said in a statement.

The machine -- the largest and most complex ever made -- overheated because of a faulty splice in the super-conducting cable connecting two cooling magnets, according to Myers.

There are 10,000 splices around the underground collider's 27-km (17-mile) ring, which smashes particles together at a temperature of just above absolute zero to recreate the conditions believed to have been present at the beginning of the universe 13.7 billion years ago.

CERN has put back the start date several times, and most recently said the collider would restart in September.

"Many new tests have been developed," Myers said. "That has given us a wealth of information about the LHC splices, and confidence that we will be in good shape for running this year."

Among the repairs and modifications made to the collider -- which are thought to cost up to $30 million -- are a system to respond to any heating up of its core, several added pressure relief valves, improved vacuum technology, and stronger anchors connecting its magnets to the floor.

"All of this contributes to preparing the machine for a long and safe operational lifetime," CERN said.
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey