Large Hadron Collider (LHC) Tests

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Prime

Re: Large Hadron Collider (LHC) Tests

Post by Prime »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:
Richard_ wrote:
DAE_JA_VOO wrote:Dark matter is still a theory, that they're basing on the effects of the laws of gravity.
[img]gravity%20-it's%20only%20a%20theory[/img]

As for dark matter, you're quite correct. It is still very much conjectural, though the effects thereof lend themselves to a fair assumption that it does exist.
Only if the laws of gravity are kept as they are - assuming that they are right. Some scientists are actually questioning the laws of gravity so as to compensate for the ridonkulous amount of mass in the Universe that is unaccounted for because of them. One of the more common known of these scientists is Prof. Mordehai Milgrom.

This mass was unaccounted for, so some dudes came up with the theory of dark matter, but some other dudes started to question how "perfect" the laws of gravity happen to be.

Science eh? :P
Read the section on why his idea is rather floored

Well I highly doubt the laws of gravity are going to change. I could google it but i don't think there is a figure for how many times they have proved them. that said, one of the issues with the standard model of the atom is that the fourth and relatively weak force of gravity does not fit into the standard model at the moment. The Higgs-Boson could Solve this mystery or it could mean that Physicists need to rethink the atom. I think the latter is highly unlikely because every other part of of the standard model has been proven to exist.

I have hesistated to post this with out a reference but if you go and redefine Newtons second law, F=ma, you will need to completely redefine mass, since mass is the proportionality constant.

Edited Link
Last edited by Prime on 10 Sep 2008, 22:59, edited 1 time in total.
DAE_JA_VOO

Post by DAE_JA_VOO »

I agree with you, but my link isn't flawed in any way. It's only info about a certain dude ;)
That guy that used to mod cases. Now I take photos. True story.
Prime

Post by Prime »

A Reliable source on the standard model-Fermilab

there is a good history of the model here

8)

You have no idea how impractical it is trying to search for links when the internet is being retarded. :x
Last edited by Prime on 10 Sep 2008, 23:00, edited 2 times in total.
Prime

Post by Prime »

DAE_JA_VOO wrote:I agree with you, but my link isn't flawed in any way. It's only info about a certain dude ;)
lol, k i'll edit my link :wink:
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

It's all a bunch of Marie-biscuits floating around in space.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Prime

Post by Prime »

Sorry, i decided against posting quotes from either article as they are best read in their entirety. :wink:

Hman wrote:It's all a bunch of Marie-biscuits floating around in space.
That would depend on whether the unniverse is flat or not :P
Kher-za

Post by Kher-za »

dibs on the crowbar in the event of a resonance cascade.

i think what they meant by the god particle is the energy that keeps matter together. sorry, havent read the entire thread.

morning tribble
Prime

Post by Prime »

Yes, the higgs boson is often referred to as the god particle. ;)
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

newtonian mechanics != quantum mechanics

They dont apply
Sry on phone
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Dell 24" 2408WFP | Phillips 37" 1080p
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Ark
Processor: E4400
Graphics card: 8800GTX
Memory: 4GB DDR2

Post by Ark »

I would laugh my bottom off if the collisions only goes "poof" and nothing else happens 8)
16-bit Corpse
Spoiler: (show)
I like scrota.
Pieterpan
Location: At the Rock concert . Third row there somewhere between the other people. .... .

Post by Pieterpan »

po10cy wrote:
capanno wrote:Im just curious, how will this help them understand the big bang? Do people still believe in it?
to be put simply there are many things they want to find out, like the particles that create mass, and particles that are called dark matter, something they think is a life giving substance etc, its not really about just creating a big bang or black hole but also to be able to study particles that have been observed from far away but never actually in an environment that enables analysis etc
+1
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Ai ai ai...

Big Bang test leads to suicide
11/09/2008 12:03

New Delhi - An Indian teenage girl killed herself because she feared that a massive experiment to re-create the birth of the Universe would herald the end of the world, reports said on Thursday.

Chayya Lal, 16, from the central state of Madhya Pradesh, committed suicide after watching television reports on how the particle-smashing test in Geneva could bring about doomsday, Indian newspapers reported.

She swallowed unidentified tablets on Tuesday and was rushed to hospital, but doctors were unable to save her.

Chayya's parents said she had spoken of her fears about the "Big Bang" experiment.

"Chayya had asked me a number of times whether the world would end as they were saying on television," her father Bihari told the Hindustan Times.

"We tried to divert her attention and told her not to worry about any great disaster," the Mail Today quoted him as saying.

The Mail said the local police inspector had raised doubts about the reasons for Chayya's death and had vowed to investigate.

The start of the underground test on Wednesday was hailed a success after the Large Hadron Collider (LHV) designed to expose the secrets of the cosmos swung into action.

Scientists behind the project had earlier dismissed fears that it could create either a "black hole" whose super-gravity would swallow the Earth, or a theoretical particle called a strangelet that would turn the planet to goo.

When the machine is fully operational, scientists hope to fleetingly replicate conditions at the "Big Bang" that created the Universe 13.7 billion years ago.
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Hmm, why kill yourself when you can wait and watch the so-called birth? (which Incidentally never took place)
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
Prime

Post by Prime »

Hex_Rated wrote:newtonian mechanics != quantum mechanics

They dont apply
Sry on phone
Yes, Newtonian Mechanics is not applicable to quantum physics but that does not make newtonian mechanics flawed. It only means that it is limited. And besides, for some applications, Lagrangian mechanics is much better than Newtonian mechanics It is not applicable to near light speed velocities either :wink:

Ark wrote:I would laugh my bottom off if the collisions only goes "poof" and nothing else happens 8)
Something has to happen, that energy has to go somewhere. :wink:
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

You know what I mean... They will find out loopholes and various weird things happening. E=(1/2mv^2), add relativity to that equation and it becomes divided by the square root of a negative number if you exceed the speed of light. Or div by zero at c (speed of light).

Eventually they will add to the equation. The speed of light can be broken if you bend space, bring the thing closer to you and move very fast.

Newton said E=1/2mv^2
Einstein said E=(1/2mv^2)/((1-v/c)^(1/2)) IIRC

He added something. I can remember if Newton came up with that equation or not but that's besides the point.

There's probably flaws in my equations. Will the resident rocket scientists and particle physicists please point them out along with my spelling mistakes. I'm using IE, piece of crap.

Whoever came up with the equation, it is flawed even if it's almost correct at low speeds, it's not 100% correct. We need to find out what's really going on if we ever hope to become a highly advanced civilization.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
4GB Corsair DDR-2 1066 | Thermalrite 120 Ultra Extreme | G9 Mouse | G15 Keyboard
Vista Ultimate x64
Prime

Post by Prime »

Hex_Rated wrote:You know what I mean... They will find out loopholes and various weird things happening. E=(1/2mv^2), add relativity to that equation and it becomes divided by the square root of a negative number if you exceed the speed of light. Or div by zero at c (speed of light).

Eventually they will add to the equation. The speed of light can be broken if you bend space, bring the thing closer to you and move very fast.

Newton said E=1/2mv^2
Einstein said E=(1/2mv^2)/((1-v/c)^(1/2)) IIRC

He added something. I can remember if Newton came up with that equation or not but that's besides the point.

There's probably flaws in my equations. Will the resident rocket scientists and particle physicists please point them out along with my spelling mistakes. I'm using IE, piece of crap.

Whoever came up with the equation, it is flawed even if it's almost correct at low speeds, it's not 100% correct. We need to find out what's really going on if we ever hope to become a highly advanced civilization.

Ok, we did not do Relativity for the Energy Equation, last year but It might help people if I publish the formulae's for some of the relativity equations. :wink:

I am trully suprised that any modification is necessary to the energy equation because it is time and path independent. :?

I'll have to go look this stuff up :?
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but here's a tour of the LHC.

Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

Ron2K wrote:but here's a tour of the LHC.
and then there's the rap tour.. just for jamin_za :P
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

nani?
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

So what is the actual chance of this thing backfiring and blowing all of us into the theory of a black hole? (Which will be proven to exist, only problem is that nobody will be freakin there to take notes!)
Hex_Rated

Post by Hex_Rated »

1:10^15 IIRC

So 1 in 1,000,000,000,000,000

We got pretty good odds. That's like the same chance that you'd win the American National Lotto like 3 times in a row or something crazy like that. If I'm spreading FUD I do apologize, that's what I heard.
DFI LanParty X48 LT-2TR
Intel Q9450 @ 3.2Ghz
Sapphire HD4870 X2 2GB
Vista Ultimate x64
DarkRanger
Processor: Intel i5-3750
Motherboard: Gigabyte
Graphics card: nVidia GTX 550Ti
Memory: 8GB Jetram

Post by DarkRanger »

oh okay. Just making sure... Because this girl next door is FIIINNNNEEEE!! And if I'm to die anyway, what's there to loose. :lol: :lol:
Prime

Post by Prime »

DarkRanger wrote:oh okay. Just making sure... Because this girl next door is FIIINNNNEEEE!! And if I'm to die anyway, what's there to loose. :lol: :lol:

Lol. Does she know you are the type who spend your life on the internet :P

Seriously though. the same phenomena that could generate these black holes happens on an almost daily basis from cosmic radiation colliding with the earth's atmosphere and other planets(?) and scientists have yet to observe a single planet being eaten up from a black hole as a result. :)
marduke

Post by marduke »

Prime wrote:
DarkRanger wrote:oh okay. Just making sure... Because this girl next door is FIIINNNNEEEE!! And if I'm to die anyway, what's there to loose. :lol: :lol:

Seriously though. the same phenomena that could generate these black holes happens on an almost daily basis from cosmic radiation colliding with the earth's atmosphere and other planets(?) and scientists have yet to observe a single planet being eaten up from a black hole as a result. :)
Yes but those collisions don't happen on the same speed/energy scale as that which they will be attempting with the LHC, so you can't really compare them
Prime

Post by Prime »

marduke wrote:
Prime wrote:

Yes but those collisions don't happen on the same speed/energy scale as that which they will be attempting with the LHC, so you can't really compare them
I honestly don't know what speed cosmic radiation travels at. :dontknow: