Large Hadron Collider (LHC) Tests

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
D3PART3D
Starbound's Dear

Re: Large Hadron Collider (LHC) Tests

Post by D3PART3D »

I blame George Lucas.
Ceterum autem censeo Samsung Mobile esse delendam.

When something is important enough, you do it even if the odds are not in your favor.
- Elon Musk
SoulBlade

Post by SoulBlade »

Calculations Show Black Holes Very Possible at LHC, But Mostly Harmless
Based on string theory and its extra dimensions, Choptuik and Pretorious concluded that high-energy collisions at the LHC could indeed form black holes...
Had to lol at someone's post.
We live in a box, a box called Earth.
A mighty utiopia that has so much Worth.

There once was a collider, that sat in this box.
A few people complained, the rest sat around like rocks.

We all went about our business, making our ways.
A number of scientist at the collider were betting their research pays.

Along came a black hole when the collisions became hot.
A few scientists scratched their heads and said: "Surely not!"

Perhaps our fates are entangled.
As our lives are dangled.

This conundrum? Perhaps, we think in our head.
The question is, are we alive or are we dead?
Core i5 3550 | 8GB RAM | 500W | Samsung T260 | GTX760 OC | 4.56TB HDD space
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Damn you Lancelot!

Everytime I see this thread I think about your comment about swopping the 'd' and 'r' in Hadron and snort with laughter! :evil:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
lancelot

Post by lancelot »

doo_much wrote:Damn you Lancelot!

Everytime I see this thread I think about your comment about swopping the 'd' and 'r' in Hadron and snort with laughter! :evil:

Do not worry, so do I :!: :P
ManTroniK

Post by ManTroniK »

That is what they call micro-singularities... :D
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

The Large Hadron Collider has successfully created a "mini-Big Bang" by smashing together lead ions instead of protons.

The scientists working at the enormous machine on Franco-Swiss border achieved the unique conditions on 7 November.

The experiment created temperatures a million times hotter than the centre of the Sun.
Rest of article
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Hey and we still live! :P.

I wonder what life they created? :P
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
MIA

Post by MIA »

The experiment created temperatures a million times hotter than the centre of the Sun.
I did not read the full article, but that at temperature i would guess they melted their "toy"? :lol:
Forum Points: 16400

Please sign and forward this. Its for a good cause. Dungeon Keeper 3
Nuke
Processor: Xeon E5620
Motherboard: Asus P6T6 Workstation
Graphics card: MSI GTX770
Memory: 24GB Hynix

Post by Nuke »

The temperature is created only at the spot of the collision. Thus around the size of 2 lead nuclei. That will not really bother anyone or anything.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

and the heat was contained inside.... it's very cool what science is thinking up next.....
"This eBook is displayed using 100% recycled electrons."
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

Scientists working on the big bang machine in Geneva have done the seemingly impossible: create, capture and release antimatter.

The development could help researchers devise laboratory experiments to learn more about this strange substance, which mostly disappeared from the universe shortly after the Big Bang around 14 billion years ago.

Trapping any form of antimatter is difficult, because as soon as it meets normal matter -- the stuff Earth and everything on it is made out of -- the two annihilate each other in powerful explosions.
Rest of article

And for the record, every time I see an article on the LHC, I keep on swapping the "d" and "r" in "Hadron" around - thanks lancelot! :P
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

cool article!!

but ai..... a man's mind will never change....
jee

Post by jee »

"Striking" evidence of a quark-gluon plasma has been observed by a team of researchers, including Canadians, at the facility near Geneva, the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) announced Friday
Quarks and gluons are very tiny particles that combine into larger particles called protons. Those in turn combine with electrons to form atoms in the world we know today. However, during the initial moments of the Big Bang, this hadn't yet happened. The temperature was likely 100,000 to a million times what it was at the centre of the sun, and quarks moved freely in a "soup" called a plasma. Physicists hypothesize that as the universe cooled, small groups of quarks separated into individual protons, and as it cooled further, small groups of protons combined with electrons to form individual atoms.
rest

However, the Big Zzzzzzt might not have been the first or the only.... Wonder if the others went Bang or POP
Most cosmologists trace the birth of the universe to the Big Bang 13.7 billion years ago. But a new analysis of the relic radiation generated by that explosive event suggests the universe got its start eons earlier and has cycled through myriad episodes of birth and death, with the Big Bang merely the most recent in a series of starting guns.
http://www.sciencenews.org/view/generic ... ic_rebirth
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
jee

Post by jee »

Hmmm, did you know it is Dark matter awareness week?
"Integrity" and "integer" both contain a Latin root meaning "whole; complete." The root sense, then, is that people may be said to be acting with integrity when their beliefs, words, and actions have a sense of unity or wholeness.
jee

Post by jee »

How big is BiG? Cosmos At Least 250x Bigger Than Visible Universe, Say Cosmologists
http://www.technologyreview.com/blog/arxiv/26333/
jee

Post by jee »

Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

I will be outside at 10pm tonight - with ma camera :mrgreen:
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

It's gonna be cloudy...

wish I was in Kuruman or another place in the gramadoelas.
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Grrrrrrrrrr but there might be a gap (starts the mind power thingy in case it works)
KatrynKat
Insane in the Membrane

Post by KatrynKat »

will check the satellite pics later and let you all know....
took a look now and will again later, just to see in which direction and how fast the systems are moving....
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Do let us know
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

At last. Language I can understand...

How does one explain the Higgs boson to a layperson, a child, an idiot?
Just use this handy guide to selective explanation.

The possible discovery of the Higgs boson at Cern is obviously of tremendous importance to our understanding of the universe – but how does one explain the Higgs boson to a layperson, a child, an idiot? Just use this handy guide to selective explanation:

For people you’re trying to impress: “The Higgs boson is an elementary scalar particle first posited in 1962, as a potential by-product of the mechanism by which a hypothetical, ubiquitous quantum field – the so-called Higgs field – gives mass to elementary particles. More specifically, in the standard model of particle physics, the existence of the Higgs boson explains how spontaneous breaking of electroweak symmetry takes place in nature.”

For harassed, sleep-deprived parents: “If the constituent parts of matter were sticky-faced toddlers, then the Higgs field would be like one of those ball pits they have in children’s play areas. Each coloured plastic ball represents a Higgs boson: collectively they provide the essential drag that stops your toddler or electron falling to the bottom of the universe, where all the snakes and hypodermic needles are.”

For English undergraduates: “The Higgs boson is a type of subatomic punctuation with a weight somewhere between a tiny semicolon and an invisible comma. Without it the universe would be a meaningless cloud of gibberish – a bit like The Da Vinci Code, if you read that.”

For teenagers studying matric physics: “No, I know it’s not an atom. I didn’t say it was. Well, I meant a particle. Yes, I do know what electromagnetism is, thank you very much – unified forces, Einstein, blah blah blah, mass unaccounted for, yadda yadda, quarks, Higgs boson, the end. It was a long time ago, and I’m tired.”

For taxpayers: “Its discovery is a colossal, unprecedented, almost infinite waste of money.”

For a child in the back seat of a car: “It’s a particle that some scientists have been looking for. Because they knew that without it the universe would be impossible. Because without it, the other particles in the universe wouldn’t have mass. Because they would all continue to travel at the speed of light, just like photons do. Because I just said they would, and if you ask ‘Why?’ one more time we’re not stopping at McDonalds.”

For religious fundamentalists: “There is no Higgs boson.”
MOOD - Thirsty

Timothy Casey
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

So its a particle that was used as a groundwork for all theories? If that is the case and it does not exist but something still keeps things together it is time to start searching again.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.
StarPhoenix
B.Soc.Sci, M.SocSci [UPCF]
Processor: Core i5 3470
Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 Sniper Z77
Graphics card: nVidia GeForce GTX 1060
Memory: 8Gb DDR3 1600

Post by StarPhoenix »

Could you not as easily call That Which Holds It All Together a "Higgs Boson", or has the name been immutably associated with a certain set of properties? ["Oops....I forgot to carry that 0."]

:-P
"Humankind cannot bear very much reality." T.S. Elliot
StarBound
Registered Pervert
Processor: Intel i7 4790k
Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Graphics card: MSI GTX780Ti Gaming
Memory: G.Skill Sniper 1866mhz 16GB

Post by StarBound »

StarPhoenix wrote:Could you not as easily call That Which Holds It All Together a "Higgs Boson", or has the name been immutably associated with a certain set of properties? ["Oops....I forgot to carry that 0."]
Your argument could not be divided by Higgs Boson and is therefore invalid :P

But taking it from "It’s a particle that some scientists have been looking for. Because they knew that without it the universe would be impossible. Because without it, the other particles in the universe wouldn’t have mass." clearly the universe does exist... unless like in Men in Black we are just all part of a giant game of marbles.
My Steam Screenshots

I lived the dream ...then my PC died.