Large Hadron Collider (LHC) Tests

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
Prime

Re: Large Hadron Collider (LHC) Tests

Post by Prime »

Wooo, :mrgreen:
Tribble
Processor: Intel Core i7-4770K CPU@3.50GHz
Motherboard: ACPI x64-based PC
Graphics card: GeForce GTX 780 Ti
Memory: 16GB

Post by Tribble »

Well let us hope that it works this time.
Monty
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i5-4690K @ 4.5GHZ
Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VII Formula
Graphics card: ASUS GTX970 Strix
Memory: 4 x 4GB Corsair Dominators

Post by Monty »

Tribble wrote:Well let us hope that it works this time.
Me 2! I really want to use the pickup line: ''they turned on the LHC, tonight may be the last night for us all!'' :twisted:
Art Williams wrote:I'm not telling you it is going to be easy, I'm telling you it's going to be worth it.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

ROTFL - would you really need that excuse? :wink: But seriously - I am really interested to see if they learn anything - or create anything. Would be a "wow" moment.
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

Monty wrote:
Tribble wrote:Well let us hope that it works this time.
Me 2! I really want to use the pickup line: ''they turned on the LHC, tonight may be the last night for us all!'' :twisted:
Now THAT is what I call a pick-up line! :lol:
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

ROTFL - it must be harder being single that I could ever imagine.
Vampyre_2099

Post by Vampyre_2099 »

Tribble wrote:I am really interested to see if they learn anything - or create anything. Would be a "wow" moment.
It's probably going to open up a portal to another dimension and possibly reproduce Star Gate SG1 or Doom
mybrute
myminicity
PCformat ZA Folding Stats

ImageImage
Spoiler: (show)
Desktop: Q8200 @ 2.33GHz ~ TRUE ~ DP35DP ~ 4GB Transcend Jetram RAM ~ Nvidia 8800GT ~ 250GB HDD
Notebook: T5550 @ 1.83GHz ~ 2GB RAM ~ ATI HD 2400 XT ~ 160GB HDD
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Oh I could definitely live with that. A little excitement would make this world more interesting. But I don't think it will - I think it will create the dark matter - and then unmake it as I believe that dark matter cannot really exist here. And then it will be over. And everyone will wonder what the fuss was all about.

I read an article yesterday that says that they have discovered that the scientific and mathematical constants may actually not be constant. They might have changed over the years (millenia) . This means that they will not be able to recreate the big bang as their data (the constants that we base all our calculations on) is faulty.
Prime

Post by Prime »

I'd like a link to that? I don't see how its possible given how fundamental the maths and the principles behind the maths are.
Prime

Post by Prime »

For example, pi is the ratio of circumference to diameter. I cannot see how that would change. Pi forms the basis for certain constants such as u of free space.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

Well it was rather an interesting journey. This started it....

3. VARYING CONSTANTS

Destabilising our view of the universe

A decade ago, we discovered that the fundamental constants of physics might not be so constant after all. These are the numbers that describe just how strong the forces of nature are, and make the laws of physics work when we use them to describe the processes of nature. Light that has travelled across the universe from distant stars tells us those laws might have been different in the past. Though the physical laws and constants have helped us define and tame the natural world, they might be an illusion.

Which lead me here but because I didn't want to fork out the cash - I went here and I got the PDF file. Also got a PowerPoint presentation from somewhere which I can mail you if you give me your email addy. All heavily mathematical with formulas and stuff - but makes for interesting reading.
Prime

Post by Prime »

Tribble wrote:Well it was rather an interesting journey. This started it....

3. VARYING CONSTANTS
Where are the conspiracy theorists?

Question1: Ya, We all know most of the universe is missing, which is why we are looking for it.

Question 2: Astroids, other objects? We are still trying to figure out what causes gravity? Maybe Dark matter caused those satelites problems? Someone could have calculated wrong, it happens. Space is not a Fixed vector field, objects (Large objects) are moving at speed! Adn BEsides, We know Nasa has had serious technical mishaps and killed a few people in the process...

Question 3: I shall follow your links and then answer.

Question 4: But thats the definition of an exothermic reaction. If I take a piece of sodium and get it really hot, it ignites and releases more energy than i gave it. But thats the Kicker, the energy didn't spontaneuosly appear, it was stored in atomic forces. There is a cold fusion plant in the US, the problem is that its still experimental.

Question 5: I'm not going to answer.

I'm skipping out the stuff in the middle. So what, maybe extra terrestrials exist. (Insert sarcastic comment here) Maybe We are simply a computer simulation. IUF that signal travelled as far as it did, then what ever sent it is probably long gone. Someone compared the stars to photographs - What ever we are seeing is simply a snapshot from many many many years ago. :D

question 10: can you imagine the complexity in trying to split our organs in half, our bones, our brains? I'm no biologist but I would think its easier to to start from the growth of a single cell and get more complex. :?

question 11: 1921? afaik, we did not know about genetics, or what we knew was very very limited. :?

Actually it Sounds like the sort of thing the religious right would say tobrainwash their children with. :|

Question 12: Ya, and? It works on some people, but not on others. Just like medicine reacts differently in different people. If it didn't, would we really need more than a handful of people to test a drug? Blondes need different quatities of anesthetic than red heads because of something in their genes. Some pain medication doesn't work on certain people for the same reason.

Question 13: I'm pretty sure thats not what Homeopathy is about these days. :?

Destabilising our view of the universe

A decade ago, we discovered that the fundamental constants of physics might not be so constant after all. These are the numbers that describe just how strong the forces of nature are, and make the laws of physics work when we use them to describe the processes of nature. Light that has travelled across the universe from distant stars tells us those laws might have been different in the past. Though the physical laws and constants have helped us define and tame the natural world, they might be an illusion.

Which lead me here but because I didn't want to fork out the cash - I went here and I got the PDF file. Also got a PowerPoint presentation from somewhere which I can mail you if you give me your email addy. All heavily mathematical with formulas and stuff - but makes for interesting reading.[/quote]

Now let me go and read. :)
Prime

Post by Prime »

I just realised its late and I don't have Acrobat reader installed yet. I'll read it on the weekend or something... :oops:
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

As I say - just interesting...
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.dailytech.com/CERNs+Perfect+ ... e15758.htm
CERN's "Perfect" Hadron Collider is Leaky, Launch Delayed Yet Again

Problems continue at the CERN project

For a project as ambitious and complex as CERN's Large Hadron Collider (LHC), setbacks are likely, in fact almost inevitable. However, the delay would be worth it according to Bob Cousins, deputy to the scientific leader of one of the sensor experiments as it would allow the sensors to be made "even more perfect than before".

While the sensor may indeed be nearing perfection, the overall design is still experiencing problems. Leaks in the insulating layer's vacuum were discovered in sectors 8-1 and 2-3 that would prevent it from properly operating. This new problem will delay the restart from October to November.

The leaky sectors will be needed to be warmed from their current temperature of 80K to room temperature in order to plug the leaks. The near-vacuum of the beam pipe will not be impacted.

The LHC is cooled with liquid helium injected into an insulating layer which surrounds the beam tube and is kept at near-vacuum. This allows the LHC beam tube to be cooled to temperatures colder than that of outer space. Last fall the particle collider was briefly turned on, but a cooling circuit melted leading to the damage to the electrical and cooling systems. Scientists initially wanted to restart the LHC in April, but the large extent of the damages necessitated more repairs.

The cost of all the repairs thus far, though, have been small compared to the $10B USD estimated cost of building the LHC. Current repairs have run over $35M USD, according to reports.

The LHC sits on the border between Switzerland and France and consists of a 17 mile long ring. The ring is capable of imparting energies of 7 TeV onto particles, making for potential collisions at unprecedented energies. Scientists hope these collisions will help them unlock physics secrets including understanding how dark matter and energy work and the discovery of the law theorized "God Particle" -- the Higgs boson.

The accelerator, when active will continue to close each winter, to avoid the prohibitively high energy costs. The accelerator requires massive amounts of power to operate.
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

CERN PR wrote:Geneva, 23 November 2009. Today the LHC circulated two beams simultaneously for the first time, allowing the operators to test the synchronization of the beams and giving the experiments their first chance to look for proton-proton collisions. With just one bunch of particles circulating in each direction, the beams can be made to cross in up to two places in the ring. From early in the afternoon, the beams were made to cross at points 1 and 5, home to the ATLAS and CMS detectors, both of which were on the look out for collisions. Later, beams crossed at points 2 and 8, ALICE and LHCb.
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

rustypup wrote:
CERN PR wrote:Geneva, 23 November 2009. Today the LHC circulated two beams simultaneously for the first time, allowing the operators to test the synchronization of the beams and giving the experiments their first chance to look for proton-proton collisions. With just one bunch of particles circulating in each direction, the beams can be made to cross in up to two places in the ring. From early in the afternoon, the beams were made to cross at points 1 and 5, home to the ATLAS and CMS detectors, both of which were on the look out for collisions. Later, beams crossed at points 2 and 8, ALICE and LHCb.
Well, the world is going to end in 2012 so they might as well get on with it, otherwise earth destruction will be delayed again.
Stuart
Lead Forum Administrator

Post by Stuart »

enGadget wrote:In an increasingly unsurprising turn of events, the Large Hadron Collider suffered a major power failure this morning, knocking the machine and its website out of service. The failure occurred in an 18,000-volt power line in Meyrin, Geneva where the LHC is housed beneath the ground, causing pretty much everything to shut down. The LHC's magnets maintained a temperature of 1.9 degrees above absolute zero (having to re-cool them would have been a pretty sizeable setback), however, and no long-term damage seems to have occurred. The trouble-prone Large Hadron Collider is expected to resume full operations sometime later today, and is currently operating on limited power from a backup supply. Regardless, the unfortunate event is sure to resurrect that zany Higgs boson time-travelling theory.
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

http://www.thevoiceofreason.com/2009/12 ... nSmash.htm
First Proton Smash In Hadron Collider Sounded Like 'Zzzzt', Says Scientist

Cern Concerned

Cern, Europe: Scientists were left scratching their heads last night following the discovery that the first protons to be successfully collided in the billion dollar Hadron Collider sounded like a 'Zzzzt', and not like a 'Pop!' as many had expected.

Speaking shortly after the discovery, scientist Bossof Magunigan IV, told this web site:

"Yes, 'Zzzzt' was a complete surprise. It sounded like a startled bee."

Experts had compiled a top five possible sounds that a high speed proton collided in the Hadron Collider would make, but zzzzt didn't even make it into that.

The top five was:

1 Pop!
2 Icky icky ick
3 Shazam
4 Ppppp...p
5 BANG!

The debate over what the big bang sounded like may now have to be revised from Bang to something else.

That fella we quoted earlier also said:

"It is too soon to say that the Big Bang sounded like a Zzzzzt, but it's also true that there is no evidence so far that it sounded like a bang either. There is billions of dollars worth of work still to be done."
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Tribble

Post by Tribble »

ROTFLMHO they actually hypothesize what the big bang would sound like? Are they serious? Didn't this big bang happen in deep space? If so - I would assume that there would be nothing to carry the sound waves, or am I just being dumb? Zzzzt sounds just about right. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
doo_much

Post by doo_much »

I blame Douglas Adams. :?
MOOD - Thirsty

A surprising amount of modern pseudoscience is coming out of the environmental sector. Perhaps it should not be so surprising given that environmentalism is political rather than scientific.
Timothy Casey
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

I blame Henry The Great.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
GreyWolf
Processor: PHENOM II 945
Motherboard: Asus M4A78
Graphics card: HIS ICEQ 4850 1GB
Memory: 4GB CORSAIR XMS II 1066

Post by GreyWolf »

LHC has broken the record for the energy of the beams produced. again.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8576545.stm
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist that black flag, and begin slitting throats."
- H. L. Mancken
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

GreyWolf wrote:LHC has broken the record for the energy of the beams produced.
Those is some bright amberlamps!
qwiksilva666

Post by qwiksilva666 »

jamin_za wrote:
GreyWolf wrote:LHC has broken the record for the energy of the beams produced.
Those is some bright amberlamps!
yeah hehe, epic beard man beat the crap outa those protons :P
~~*Head of the Druidic Council of the Pride of Darkness*~~
AMD PhenomII X4 955
M4N98TD-EVO
ENGTX560 TI DCII TOP
8GB Corsair XMS
Antec TP 750W