Large Hadron Collider (LHC) Tests

A place to talk about more serious topics such as politics, society and current events.
Forum rules
Please read the discussion section rules before posting in here. By posting in this section, you acknowledge to have read and understood them, and agree to abide by them at all times.

Of course, the global forum rules apply here too.

NOTE: posts in this section are not counted towards your total.
JFK

Large Hadron Collider (LHC) Tests

Post by JFK »

Hunt for the God particle

LHC — short for Large Hadron Collider (the most powerful particle accelerator ever built)

Place: Cern, Geneva, Switzerland

Cost: $8 billion project
$6.7 billion machine

Arguably the largest and most complex science experiment ever constructed.

Physicists are excited by the LHC. It will be the world’s most powerful particle accelerator, colliding protons into each other at an energy of 14 TeV (tera-electronvolts), giving access to physics at an energy scale about ten times higher than has been open to exploration so far.

A proton travels around a 27-kilometer ring (deep underground) at nearly the speed of light. Along with a bunch of other protons, it passes through the hearts of each of a series of detectors more than ten thousand times per second.

Then, on one pass, it slams into a proton coming from the other direction. The collisions will occur 600 million times every second, producing a spray of subatomic debris.

No one really knows what the machine will give birth to. But the equations suggest that some weird stuff could be just around the corner — maybe "dark matter," the invisible stuff that seems to hang around galaxies. Some theories say it is possible the collider will cause miniature black holes to momentarily appear.

Some people at the lab think that these projects are pushing the boundaries of what can be achieved by humans: financially, politically, and organizationally.

"The size is amazing," "It's actually in an underground river. We had to sink liquid nitrogen probes and freeze the river around it to lay the concrete structure down. [It was a] massive civil engineering project. And the detector itself dwarfs anything I've seen. It's like a five-story building. It's ridiculous."

The underground complex crosses the borders between France and Switzerland, but the majority of it is located in France

FACTS

- Global participation: More than 7000 scientists from 85-plus countries are involved in the LHC collider (They include some 750 scientists from US universities and national laboratories)

- Planning started 20 years ago, the first applied research began 15 years ago

- Length 27km long (16.7 mile)

- Weight 38 000 tonne collider

- Most located between 50 and 150 meters (165 and 490 feet) below the surface of the Earth. Some parts are down shafts that reach 300 feet into the earth

- The magnet is the size of a house, and can store enough energy to melt 18 tons of gold

- The electromagnet is almost 2,000 tons (That's the weight of five jumbo jets)

- A complete sector of the machine was being prepared to be cooled to its operating temperature of 1.9 degrees above absolute zero, which is colder than outer space

- 120 MW power and 91 tonnes of liquid Helium to operate

- Traveling in a vacuum, the beams will approach the speed of light, making 11,245 circuits a second. Their acceleration will require roughly the energy that it takes to power Geneva.

- Once operational, the LHC is expected to have a lifetime of about 15 years

The New York Times and International Herald Tribune announced the intentions of a global group of physicists to re-create the environment of the early universe so they can better understand the Big Bang. After a hundred years of theory, discussion, and lab tests, the time has come to test results at a higher level.

Nobody seems to know exactly what will happen when LHC begins operations in May 2008? I guess we need to wait and see…

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ellenwallace/363733053/

[/b]

Topic title changed to something more appropriate
WAJeff

Post by WAJeff »

Mmmkay.... shot for the info :? :wink:

Welcome to the forums btw, go give yourself an intro here and grab some bed time reading here and here
TheMartyr

Post by TheMartyr »

this is bad
i see gates to hell opening!
this is going to be like Doom 3
Hello im a signature
pok

Post by pok »

@JFK:

[img]removed%20by%20jee%20-%20PLEASE,%20these%20type%20of%20images%20are%20old%20hat%20and%20is%20in%20bad%20taste...[/img]
Ironman SA 2011 Finisher - 15h10min
3.8km swim, 180km cycle & 42.2km run

Got the shirt to prove it.....
Hman
Processor: Intel i5 650
Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M LX
Graphics card: Gigabyte 7850 2GB OC
Memory: 8GB Kingston DDR3

Post by Hman »

Interesting post.
"Every thinking man is a drinking man."

Member of the Barberton Tigers
Anakha56
Forum Administrator
Processor: Ryzen 1700K
Motherboard: Asus X370
Graphics card: Asus 1060 Strix
Memory: 16GB RAM

Post by Anakha56 »

Very interesting read, I have been following the LHC for quite awhile now very interesting...
JUSTICE, n A commodity which is a more or less adulterated condition the State sells to the citizen as a reward for his allegiance, taxes and personal service.
Judas

Post by Judas »

Just one question: what does the article have to do with a "god particle"?
'One will rarely err if extreme actions be ascribed to vanity, ordinary actions to habit, and mean actions to fear.'
- Friedrich Nietzsche

'Do not argue with Judas, nube, that would be foolish!'
- D3PART3D
hamin_aus
Forum Moderator
Processor: Intel i7 3770K
Motherboard: GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
Graphics card: Galax GTX1080
Memory: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws

Post by hamin_aus »

Hman wrote:Interesting post.
No doubt.
Strange title tho. What does particle acceleration have to do with playing God :?:
rustypup

Post by rustypup »

yeah.. welcome JFK. i'm convinced this has already been posted before :wink: ... all that blurb and not one mention of the, entirely theoretical, higgs boson... (the 'god parcticle' being referred to here).

still, going to be a big day when they run the first test...

@pok: :?:
Most people would sooner die than think; in fact, they do so - Bertrand Russel
Sojourn

Post by Sojourn »

Nice read.

The "god" in the title was to draw you all here as we all know how this forum reacts to religious posts. Think of poop and flies... rather effective imo.

s
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

omw this is some hectic shiznit. what if they pull it off, and use it as a weapon of mass destruction? throwing SA rugby teams into it whenever they go to france again? 8O
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
JFK

Post by JFK »

I did not dump all the data about this 'science experiment' as it was too large. Anyway thanks for the interesting comments…
I34z1k

Post by I34z1k »

Wow. Hope that nothing hectic happens. :P Pop goes Poland.
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Re: Playing God

Post by Ron2K »

JFK wrote:- 120 MW power...
I'd hate to know what the load-shedding implications would be if Eskom was providing the power for this thing. :wink:
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Futs

Post by Futs »

This sounds alot like Dan Brown's Angels and Demons.
po10cy

Post by po10cy »

mount that technology to a machine gun to fire out black holes instead of bullets and we all gone, black hole warfare...i think that will be used for destructive purposes eventually...its the nature of man that some use it for evil...
when in doubt, paddle out... ;)
Futs

Post by Futs »

Portal warfare :P
KillerByte
G3AR Staff Member

Post by KillerByte »

JFK
what can I say. with a post like that, it looks like you will always bring the forums something interesting to talk about. welcome.

its an interesting article and I can't wait to hear what they discover. i firmly believe that within the next 100 years man kind will manage to travel to the nearest star, and it is through projects like this one that will help make that dream a reality
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.
JFK

Post by JFK »

Thanks, in fact I do have. First got to work for the money. 8)

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the
cheese.
ryanrich
Forum Moderator

Post by ryanrich »

Very very interesting read!
beerman

Post by beerman »

Agreed, interesting read ....

I can see people getting their knickers in a knot somewhere given that they build this huge machine and they are not sure about what results to expect from the experiment.

They maybe need to wordsmith their stories a bit ... else we will see the usual picketing with words such as "Armageddon", "Down with science" and "Hello mom!" on the placards ...
My 2c ...
JFK

Post by JFK »

...there are already… :onfire:

"...Some theorists have conjectured that certain types of experiment could conceivably unleash a runaway process that destroyed not just us but Earth itself"

For more info:

http://www.lifeboat.com/ex/particle.accelerator.shield
Ron2K
Forum Technical Administrator

Post by Ron2K »

The problem is that you can't predict what's going to happen - nothing like this has ever happened before (so how do you simulate it?). It could be that nothing harmful happens; on the other hand I wouldn't discredit the destruction claims very quickly.

I don't think that the planned experiments will be stopped though - definitely a case of "curiosity killed the cat".
Kia kaha, Kia māia, Kia manawanui.
Kovu

Post by Kovu »

even though the cat knows that this curiosity may kill me_ would he still have gone on...

very interesting i must though as so many have
Chaos Mage for The Pride
The Strong do what they can,The weak suffer what they must.
In times of war circumstance dictates action.

Post by KillerByte »

i would like the experiments to go ahead. columbis sailed into unknown territory and look what he discovered.
What I type has nothing to do with the people that employ me.